• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow sp. - Thursday - Spring Mountains, Nevada (1 Viewer)

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
Is there enough in this terrible photo to ID this US Sparrow? 20230817_164129 (3).jpg In pine / aspen forest at about 8,000ft in Spring Mountains, near Las Vegas, Nevada.

Tough one. It’s Spizella sp. hard to tell due to photo quality but probably Chipping Sparrow because it looks like it might have dark lores and the color of the facial pattern. Otherwise it could be Brewer’s. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen Brewer’s, but I’m pretty sure they have long tails and are shaped a lot like a Field Sparrow.

Might be a Chipping Sparrow; I have no better suggestion. But I have a hard time reconciling what looks like a very heavy dark moustachial stripe with Chipping or any Spizella. It could be photo artifact, but if it is, then what else might be?

Might be a Chipping Sparrow; I have no better suggestion. But I have a hard time reconciling what looks like a very heavy dark moustachial stripe with Chipping or any Spizella. It could be photo artifact, but if it is, then what else might be?
I think clay colored is possible but I don’t think it’s that because I think it has dark lores. Hard to be sure.

Thanks for putting the effort in on such a bad photograph. I've attached some more I recovered from the recycle bin in case they are of any assistance - they will inevitably be worse so I'm not expecting anything definitive.

20230817_164136.jpg20230817_164131.jpg20230817_164131.jpg20230817_164136.jpg

The new photos do confirm that none of the markings is an artifact of one photo, but, as you say, I don't think there is anything new that is definitive. Overall, Chipping Sparrow looks like the best guess.

There was a photo’d Clay-colored Sparrow today in Henderson, NV, which is essentially the same region as Las Vegas and Spring Mountains for anyone unfamiliar with the area. Seems they may be “in” for their window of migration, adding to the possibility. It does seem like a possibility in the photos from our original post here. The mustacial stripe sure looks like Clay-colored. Wish the resolution of the bird was a little higher.

Attachments

• F6652F39-8742-4FD3-841D-B6DE1DAC9AB2.png
    F6652F39-8742-4FD3-841D-B6DE1DAC9AB2.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 7
Thanks again rjk & tom. I had not considered Clay-coloured as it looked well out of range in the maps in my NatGeo guide.

They are zoomed smartphone shots so I'm not surprised the quality is too poor. I'll leave it as un-ID'ed (as with so many Sparrows & Flycatchers from this trip!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back