• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk / Goshawk French Pyrenees? (1 Viewer)

Jmead

France
Hi all,

Asked this question before but same issue as ever, do you reckon Sparrowhawk or Goshawk? I know both are here, I've seen both before.
Seen just above Bagnères de Bigorre in the French Pyrenees.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6181.JPG
    IMG_6181.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6183.JPG
    IMG_6183.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6184.JPG
    IMG_6184.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6195.JPG
    IMG_6195.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 169
Where abouts are you traveling from? Not able to come some other time?
It was too Mallorca but the griffon vulture was basically the bird I was going for- Sadly I was also not too for from your area once, but it was only to bring my cousins to their holiday spot and we didn't quite get there.

The bulging secondaries should be combined to a very small hand, which this bird does not show, the tail is so iregualr that I guess it is more about tip abrasion than rounded tail.
I had to loock twice to make a comment, especially the first and the last pic look somehow good for Gos whereas the two middle pics are much better for Sprawk.

There's no more bulge on those secondaries than on the Southampton Sparrowhawk I've attached below. The head is short and the tail normal for Sparrowhawk: the wings are far too short, especially in the outer part, for Goshawk. It's a Sparrowhawk.

John

52678566705_80b09e24c2_o.jpg

I find the flared secondaries to be less of a useful feature that is open to interpretation but this bird doesnt show the cruciform silhouette typical of goshawk and the rounded wing tips are typical of sparrowhawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back