• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

Just a quick heads up for those out surveying and observing the Spooners return passage through E.China to keep a special eye out (yes I know you are anyway) for any potentially colour flagged/ringed juveniles. These are the 'head-started' juveniles from the project, I believe that nine were successfully raised and released - http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/800.aspx?s_id=579012900 and http://www.saving-spoon-billed-sand...n/chukotka-2012/headstarting-in-meinypilgyno/

Good luck and fingers crossed!
pls allow me to forward the photos

Attachments

• bandedspoonerjuv.JPG
    bandedspoonerjuv.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 70
On 15 in Rudong we watched quite a few adult spooner feeding on the mudflat when the tide just started to go down.Then all the birds moved away with the tide.No birds around us so we decided to follow them.
Just when carrying my scopes,one bird appeared right in front of us and I could id it by my eyes as a spooner.Thru bins and scopes we found that it was a juv.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We enjoyed it for a moment and it flew to follow its parents:)
more photos later...

ps. 4 adults are still in br plumage,later in moult than the others(50+ in total).and one adult with flag from its breeding ground.

Last edited:
photos

:cat:
the one in flight is the juv. in which u can see the pale V on the mantle

Attachments

• Rudong15Sep2012.jpg
    Rudong15Sep2012.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4259_??.jpg
    IMG_4259_??.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4253_??.jpg
    IMG_4253_??.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4251_??.jpg
    IMG_4251_??.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
:cat:
the one in flight is the juv. in which u can see the pale V on the mantle

Excellent news. Even from that photo, it is easy to see that it is a juvenile. Amazing also how late these birds hold on to summer plumage.

Very glad for this positive news. Well done.
Ken

Hi Ken
Even the ones which look like non-br plumage still hold one or two old outer primaries.
Besides the one with light green flag posted above,we also had another bird with yellow flag which we need to confirm with the Russian/Vietnamese where it was banded 'cause we didnt see the lower legs.But it cant be banded in NWAustralia.

I think I remember that a bird has been flagged in Sakhalin, wich use yellow over white combinaison. It could be well this bird.
Jonathan
In the spring of 2011 we did have our first Yellow-White spooner from Sakhalin which was a 2nd or 3rd cy bird due that the Russians only had banded three juv. in 2009 and 2010.
That bird had the flags on right leg and this time the bird had it on its left leg.So we should wait for more info.

Amazed the birds are still retaining a lot of breeding plumage so late. This seems unusual. I'm glad the juv. is still alive and well - or could it be a different bird?

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Ken

Amazed the birds are still retaining a lot of breeding plumage so late. This seems unusual. I'm glad the juv. is still alive and well - or could it be a different bird?

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Ken
who knows,unless we see a headstarted juv. B :)

Last week at Yangkou, I discovered the spoon-billed sandpiper on the mudflats and in the fish ponds. I found individuals with traces of breeding plumage and in full non-breeding plumage. Using my mattress, I was able to float to within 8.9 m of a beautiful specimen in non-breeding plumage. Here are some shots of my individuals plus another image showing my client Branyo on the mattress. My clients are well-trained, committed birders, and our rule is never stand up, never scare the flock, always back off, always be a silent witness. See my Web site for even more images.

Attachments

• sandpiper, spoon-billed028.jpg
    sandpiper, spoon-billed028.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 71
  • sandpiper, spoon-billed029.jpg
    sandpiper, spoon-billed029.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 67
  • sandpiper, spoon-billed032.jpg
    sandpiper, spoon-billed032.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 73
  • sandpiper, spoon-billed037.jpg
    sandpiper, spoon-billed037.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 68
  • yangkou2012_31.jpg
    yangkou2012_31.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 73
Very nice Mc, you are doing a sterling job there... and still hoping you are going to find one of them leg-flagged juveniles!

I do hope to see more juv. no matter leg-flagged or not:)
sleeping juv. Red-necked Stint seems to me impossible to tell from juv. Spooner :( so maybe a flag can give me kind of clue(I hope they dont do the same flags on Red-necked Stint)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back