• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring migration (1 Viewer)

Mark Grantham

Well now we've got the snow out of the way in the UK, we can maybe look forward to spring! I've already heard of big numbers of Swallows passing through Morroco and last week there were a few records in Portugal.

Has anyone else seen any signs of spring yet in southern Europe?

Mark Grantham
BirdTrack Organiser
www.birdtrack.net

Hi Mark,

Last Thursday and Friday Black Kite, Lesser Kestrel and White Stork were reported in good numbers over the Tarifa, Southern Spain area. I certainly have had plenty of Swallows, a few House Martins (reported in higher numbers at traditional colonies in Malaga) and now a few Sand Martin. I'm off to Morocco late 14th, so will post again on any large movements either from there or when I get back 25th.

Several House martins (Delichon urbica) were seen today in Cyprus Island. We live up in the mountains of Troodos and probably those were not the very first birds to be reported for the area...

Wishing everyone a good migration season!

Hello all!

A local fisherman had 20 Swallows resting on his vessel at 6am this morning, 20 miles off the French coast....now that's not far away!

Last edited:
Steve Waite said:
A local fisherman had 20 Swallows resting on his vessel at 6am this morning, 20 miles off the French coast....now that's not for away!

Hope they aren't headed this way or they will be 20 dead Swallows ...minus 25 forecast for week's end. Some early signs of spring though - the coast has had some early Skylark and Wood Pigeon, etc (summer visitors)

Jos Stratford said:
Hope they aren't headed this way or they will be 20 dead Swallows ...minus 25 forecast for week's end. Some early signs of spring though - the coast has had some early Skylark and Wood Pigeon, etc (summer visitors)

My first two swallows of last year appeared on 10 April, huddled on a wire in a snow shower, with the temperature at 1C.

i would suggest spring is actually here from this week,we have had 2-3 days bad weather this winter(so Far) but this week has seemed to me like the start of spring,certain flowers are starting to develop,have seen bees,more bird song than usual in february i think there will be some significant migrants reported over the next week !!!

In the last week on Crete, A single Hoopoe, Heard and seen Golden Oriole on two seperate days and House martins

Over the last 10 days in Morocco. In the North several Black Kites with a maximum of 8 together, very few Swallows and even less House Martins. Booted Eagles and Common Buzzard B.buteo seen several times as singletons. In the South, Northern Wheatears seen to the south of the High Atlas, Swallows and House Martins only in small numbers, White Storks being the only migrant seen in very good numbers. In summary no evidence to suppose migrations has got anywhere near to starting!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back