• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring migration (1 Viewer)

4 sedge warblers and 1 grasshopper warbler at Oxford Island, Co. Armagh today- my first sightings of both species this spring.

Also 23 singing willow warblers and blackcap, chiffchaff, swallow and swift.

Unusual for Hambleden Valley , but I saw a female Redstart this morning , first of the year for me in a place I really didn't expect . She was feeding avidly in a field edge next to a large old hedge , flitting back and forwards between the two in the company of a male Chaffinch , a Robin and a baby rabbit not much bigger than the birds themselves .

Ashley

saw my first common terns of the spring with 3 flying west
up the river wear at n.hylton.
still no sign of any swallows though,there were none at the place
i expected to see them.

Lots of firsts this week: common sandpiper, swifts, housemartin, lesser whitethroat, sedge warblers and an army of reedwarblers at Radipole today, garden warbler at Upton House yesterday and wheatear at Chapmans Pool on Sunday.

Anybody seen any whitethroats yet? They're not common on my local patch so I'm wondering whether there's still a chance some might turn up this year.

Anybody seen any whitethroats yet? They're not common on my local patch so I'm wondering whether there's still a chance some might turn up this year.

Spent the day down on the Gower yesterday and the place is teeming with them, a lot are already nesting

Skitime is over ?

Hi,

last weekend I was on ski climbing tour ( valley Oetztal in Austria ).
Alpine Accentors was from time to time near the peaks ( over 3.000 m ).
Water Pipit was very activ. Near the hut frogs jumped over the snow.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Stephen,

We were watching at least 3 in 1 lane last week, all singing and starting to nest. (Pics below) There certainly weren't so many reports of them coming in this year as last, but far greater numbers of Lessers! Keep watching and keep the fingers crossed.

Best wishes and good luck!

Sue.

Attachments

• Whitethroat perched 622 2c.jpg
    Whitethroat perched 622 2c.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Whitethroat perched 624 3d.jpg
    Whitethroat perched 624 3d.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 55
Hi Stephen,

We were watching at least 3 in 1 lane last week, all singing and starting to nest. (Pics below) There certainly weren't so many reports of them coming in this year as last, but far greater numbers of Lessers! Keep watching and keep the fingers crossed.

Best wishes and good luck!

Sue.

Nice photos, they're a clinking wee bird! Saw one today on a patch of gorse/willow scrub(not my local patch). It was singing and performing it's song flight. They just don't seem to like my patch even though there's lots of what seems like suitable habitat.

we have artic terns ariving back in numbers now whimbrel passing over regulary, still seeing Oyster catchers stopping off on the way north to rest and feed. great skuas are flooding in with numbers rising.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back