• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling South Africa (1 Viewer)

balbuzard26

Hello,

During a trip to South Africa in January, I took several photo starling (it is every time a bird dispute), I have trouble clearly identified here. Could you help me please.

Thanking you in advance.

1 - Photographed in Pretoria

2- Photographed in Kruger Park

3- Photographed in Kruger Park

4- Photographed in Kruger Park

5- Photographed in Kruger Park

6- Photographed at the border of South Africa and Swaziland

7- Photographed in Hluhluwe in northern KwaZulu-Natal

Hi... Those birds look like Grackles. Starlings have short stubby tails with orange beaks and legs. Grackles have long tails with black bills and legs.

Last edited:
1 and 5 look like Greater Blue Eared as they have yellowish eyes and the darker blue comes back behind the eye.
2 +3 Look like Cape Glossy, but they have a mask in front and below the eye
4 I don't know the bill looks thin and brown + white under tail coverts, possibly juvenile Retz's Helmetshrike, but I'm not familiar with this species
6+7 Probably Cape Glossy

Welcome to BF.

You're certainly not alone finding glossy starlings difficult, especially from photos. It's easier when you can hear them (Greater Blue-eared has a distinctive often uttered call), and have a feel for how their colours change as they turn in the light, and their size.

We could do with someone like Tib or Valery here I think, but my rough guesses would be

1. I (like Andy) also think it looks like Greater Blue-eared, but remember finding Cape was the common one in Pretoria
2. Agree looks like Cape
3. Pass! (Greater Blue-eared or Cape)
5. Greater Blue-eared
4. 6. and 7. wonder if you might have Black-bellied there, but could easily be imm Cape, and you'd have to be in the right part of Kruger for one in the case of 4.

Looking again at 4, I can see now that it can't be a juv. Retz's Helmetshrike as they have brown eyes, and are accompanied by adults, so you would have seen them together. Having never seen Black-bellied before, I only did a comparison with the illutration and didn't read the description. As Larry suggests Black-bellied is a good call as they only have red eyes during the breeding season, the rest of the time yellow orange.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back