• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings (1 Viewer)

RickyT

Canada
Hi. Name is Richard. New to bird feeding and bird watching but I love it. The only problem I’m having is that starlings are visiting my bird feeders constantly throughout the day and eating everything. Wondering if anyone has an idea as to how to stop starlings from showing up while still having all the other birds be around. Thanks.

Hi Ricky and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Starlings really prefer to eat on the ground, so you could try putting some insect-type food there for them. Here they love meal worms.

During the summer I find they're in my garden most of the day, as the adults seem to bring the young here to be fed as soon as they leave the nest. They sometimes have 3 broods!! I'm inclined to let all the birds just get on with it. At this time of year they only seem to visit once a day as they're out in the wider countryside for most of the time. So it sounds like there's not enough food available for them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

You might find weighted bird feeders helpful where you can set a weight limit so that when a bigger bird lands, the ports close. Or maybe the feeders which are in a cage which prevents bigger birds gaining access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back