• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat - Cyprus (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

I guess the question here is if any of these are "eastern" stonechats. The male in pic 1 looks like he has way more than a half collar.
The Collins 2nd ed. isn't very helpful.

Could someone take a quick look and comment accordingly?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• CY15.jpg
    CY15.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 28
  • CY16.jpg
    CY16.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 27
  • CY17.jpg
    CY17.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 22
  • CY18.jpg
    CY18.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 22
  • CY19.jpg
    CY19.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 30
Hi All

I guess the question here is if any of these are "eastern" stonechats. The male in pic 1 looks like he has way more than a half collar.
The Collins 2nd ed. isn't very helpful.

Could someone take a quick look and comment accordingly?

Yours, Gareth
I don't know how regular Eastern are, I've never has cause to suspect one but along with Black Redtsart, Stonechat is probably the commonest, winter visitor to Cyprus.

I don't know how regular Eastern are, I've never has cause to suspect one but along with Black Redtsart, Stonechat is probably the commonest, winter visitor to Cyprus.
Scarce but regular spring migrants. Usually after most wintering Stonechats have left.
In my experience most,if not all,are Caspian.
I've never seen a definite maurus here,but they regularly get claimed. I don't think females of the two are distinguishable in the field.
I'm in Cyprus at moment and there are still a few common stonechat around. Others have seen/claimed siberian and caspian,but I haven't yet. I usually see a few end March/ beginning April.

Scarce but regular spring migrants. Usually after most wintering Stonechats have left.
In my experience most,if not all,are Caspian.
I've never seen a definite maurus here,but they regularly get claimed. I don't think females of the two are distinguishable in the field.
I'm in Cyprus at moment and there are still a few common stonechat around. Others have seen/claimed siberian and caspian,but I haven't yet. I usually see a few end March/ beginning April.
Still a lot where I live Pete.

Thanks for all your input guys. Just got back from a bit of "winter sun" and was suprised about how many birds there were within a mile or so from the hotel.
Cyprus is definitely interesting. G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back