• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Story of a Wildlife Pool (1 Viewer)

Here is the little sister before rudely disturbed by excavator man.

With the reeds/shrubs in the top right attracting Marsh Warblers and the lily pads serving as favoured haul out pads for frogs and resting spots for damselflies, I didn't let the guy do any work in that area ...he wanted to get rid if "all that old reed mess" :)

Instead I deepened and extended the near end by a metre or so (the area behind not visible in this photo)

IMG_20200822_151435070.jpg

Had some doubts about doing this pool - not only were the costs escalating, but I did have to destroy some nice habitat. Will return better, but still a sorry sight to see nice vegetation grubbed up.

IMG_20211012_133330847_HDR.jpg

Aaaw!! Though I guess it would have all died down soon anyway with the deep freeze due any week now?

Remember you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs Jos;)

Roll on a few months however and the picture is wholly different - will need a year for vegetation to establish etc, but full of tadpoles now and a steady trickle of birds, Green Sandpipers and Snipe occasional at the edges, a Great White Egret sometimes, Goldeneye and Mallard on the pool itself.

Wryneck and Whitethroat singing adjacent, Black Redstart and White Wagtail like the still exposed soil banks resulting from excavation.

IMG-20220504-WA0002.jpeg

Management still ongoing, added a Goldeneye nestbox, dug a few extra shallow bits at the margins, added a small floating island and this week stocked with Grass Carp, a vegetarian fish that will control weed from becoming too dominant ...and if they survive Grey Herons and Great White Egrets and miraculously get to a decent size, may even become White-tailed Eagle food 🙂

IMG_20220306_100524493.jpg

The other pictures looked to have a bigger expanse of water... This is the smaller of the lakes right? In which case size shouldn't matter....

The other pictures looked to have a bigger expanse of water... This is the smaller of the lakes right? In which case size shouldn't matter....
Just the angle and distance of the photo, it is about 75 metres long. Floated my little artificial island today, complete with submergent vegatation ...an hour later, full of frogs

Last edited:
In that case, Red Fox, very common on my land, tracks zigzag all over the place in winter.

Was however a rather more exciting beast this winter - a Wolf crossed my forest pool on a couple of occasions, a few days apart.

View attachment 1446652View attachment 1446653
What big feet you've got, Grandma! o_O

TYVM, especially for the extra photos.

Doing the Bear Centre this summer, hoping for all three big predators. And a few birds.

Looking forward to your future reports as well.

Cheers

John

Upon the pool now floats an island, vegetated this weekend, already popular with frogs, a good couple of dozen croaking from its mossy edges.

Made from junk, a couple of photos of the preparation:

floating island lab 1.jpgfloating island lab 2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back