• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (6 Viewers)

decided to do the walk from brantham to flatford today lots of birds but i was amazed to see a whooper swan on the river has anyone else seen this bird did it get left behind or has it got back early or is it resident
cheers

Another trip to Minsmere yesterday. We saw three Bitterns flying and one in the reeds but not a single Robin. The world's gone mad.

The Little Terns nesting on the beach are great to watch – really smart looking and very entertaining.

It is worth looking for the family of Water Voles in the pond near the reception area. We watched three of them swimming about, nipping off young reed stems and towing them back to build little platforms in the reeds. They were on the north side of the bridge over the pond.

Ron

Another trip to Minsmere yesterday. We saw three Bitterns flying and one in the reeds but not a single Robin. The world's gone mad.

The Little Terns nesting on the beach are great to watch – really smart looking and very entertaining.

It is worth looking for the family of Water Voles in the pond near the reception area. We watched three of them swimming about, nipping off young reed stems and towing them back to build little platforms in the reeds. They were on the north side of the bridge over the pond.

Ron

Funny you should mention the voles, had them the other day. Completely unaware of my presence. As for the birds on saturday evening, quite a lot was noted. Had 3 smart, summer plumaged spotshanks (1 on east scrape, 2 on the levels), 3 knot on east scrape (with 1 with a hint of red in its plumage), at least 6 green sandpipers scattered over the scrapes and levels, female garganey on the levels, a pair of cetti's warblers, bittern 'scrapping' in the air with a grey heron but, unfortunately, no sign of the roseate tern. Spent a good couple of hours in south hide watching the roost gather. Did have the dark billed common tern thats kicking around (wonder how many times that has been reported as being the roseate!!). A superb adult med gull did come in to roost which was nice. Finished up with barn and little owls on the journey back home to Woodbridge.

Had a bizarre afternoon at Minsmere, got soaked twice and then dried out by blazing hot sun!!

Sat in the East Hide and had a great hour watching a real mixed bag of waders- Dunlin, Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Snipe, Black Tailed Godwit, Greenshank, Ruff (some real scruffy types!), Avocet, Ringed Plover and Lapwing. Took some delight in explaining the different species to a family who appeared to enjoy my enthusiasm and the views offered through my APO.

Walked along the dunes and watched, at close range, a family of Stonechats feding and then watched the Little Tern colony squabble their way through the afternoon.

Offshore picked up an Arctic Skua on the sea and watched it floating along on the tide before taking flight and having a go at several Common Terns.

Walked back to the car park and had two Bitterns fly over my head just by the West Hide, nice!! Then got to my car to see a Hobby hawking dragonflies and chasing a Sparrowhawk.

Minsmere never fails to amaze me, even on a quiet day it's excellent!!

Bill.

Hi, Bill. I think we must have arrived after you yesterday as it was just stopping raining when we got to Minsmere and we didn't get wet all afternoon. In fact the weather was beautiful.

I, too, enjoyed watching the Stonechats but missed half the birds you saw from the East Scrape hide. I think we could do with someone like you pointing them out to us next time. I'm pleased to hear that you were talking to the family in the hide. I feel so sorry for the poor little children who get marched into the hide and told to keep still and talk in whispers. It must put some of them off bird watching for life. I don't necessarily want them running up and down the hide but a bit of enthusiastic excitement is great to see.

The highlight in the evening for us was watching four of five young, and apparently rather hungry, Marsh Harriers cruising backwards and forwards infront of the Island Mere hide. Eventually one of them swooped down and grabbed a fully grown duck (I couldn't see what sort.) It flew off with it but the duck put up a fight and the Harrier dropped it. The ambitiousness of youth, perhaps.

Ron

Last edited:
This thread deserves a resurrection.

12+ Little Gulls at Minsmere plus a juv Black Redstart near the sluice.

i was at minsmere as well yesterday seems like most of birdforum was there i saw 4 little gulls on the scrape and also a med gull feeding chicks. also saw a ruddy shelduck
saw all the waders birderbill saw except the snipe plus common and green sandpiper
saw one bittern and one bearded tit at island mere
also had good views of treecreepers and a couple of marsh tits(fairly sure they weren't willow) outside the bittern hide
we also saw a fly past of 6 gannets out to sea
but the highlight for me were the terns especially the little terns on the beach
the only disappointment for me was that all the spoonbills we saw on the levels turned into little egrets through the scope
still another great day with around 70 species seen
cheers

A group of 9 Green Sandpipers was seen today by a local birder on the scrape at Hinderclay fen (west of Redgrave and Lopham fen) in the Norfolk/Suffolk border...

Things can turn up anywhere!!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Nice thread....Although I now live on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada, I spent my first 20 years growing up in Lowestoft !!! It is great to see all of the familiar place names again. I try to get back every couple of years and did enjoy a day at Minsmere and another one at Cley last summer. The photographs that appear in the threads above bring back many memories. Will bookmark this one for sure.....

Good luck,

Doug.......

Hi Matt,

Nice thread....Although I now live on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada, I spent my first 20 years growing up in Lowestoft !!! It is great to see all of the familiar place names again. I try to get back every couple of years and did enjoy a day at Minsmere and another one at Cley last summer. The photographs that appear in the threads above bring back many memories. Will bookmark this one for sure.....

Good luck,

Doug.......

Hi there Doug

Glad you are enjoying the thread, there are quite a few members from the lowestoft area that post regularly on this forum! I do try and post up pics of various places I visit as it gives people who have never visited before (or have fond memories) an idea of what these places now look like.

I would encourage others to do the same;)

Matt

...welcome to Birdforum btw:t:

Hi Doug,

Good to hear our activities are being monitored from afar. I suppose it's probably not quite as flat where you are now as your birthplace.

As you are a Lowestoft lad here is a photo I took earlier this year of Carlton Marshes, just outside Oulton Broad. It's now a very nice Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserve with walks down to the river Wensum and plenty of birds and other wildlife to see. Sorry it's not a better photo.

Ron

Attachments

• Carlton-marshes.jpg
    Carlton-marshes.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 256
It was a beautiful day at Minsmere today, hot but with a pleasant breeze to stop it getting too oppressive. It was a bit quiet on the birding front – I guess it's just that time of the year. However, we did get a couple of good close views of Bitterns flying over the reeds and there were a few Marsh Harriers cruising about and being agressively mobbed by Common Terns. Pretty feisty birds those terns.

The real stars of the day, however, were reptiles and amphibians. On the track to the West hide we found a lovely Slow Worm, which is something I haven't seen for years. Photo here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=93154

On the way back from the hide we noticed several people watching something in the pond by the old car park. I assumed it would be the Water Voles which have set up home there. When we arrived, however, it turned out to be a Grass Snake in the water which had grabbed hold of a Frog by the legs. It was trying to drag the Frog under the water, presumably to drown it, but the Frog was putting up a fight and had inflated itself to about twice its normal size, making it very difficult to swallow. It was grabbing hold of reeds to prevent the snake from dragging it under.

Apparently the struggle had been going on for about half an hour and every so often the snake would let the Frog go, and then return for another attack. Watching the Frog fighting desperately against the inevitable outcome, through binoculars, was actually rather harrowing and when we left the snake had released the Frog and swum to the side of the pool. However the Frog wasn't swimming away to escape so I think it was destined to end up inside the snake before the evening was finished.

That was how we left them but sometimes nature can be just a little too … 'natural'. It's hard not to get anthropomorphic about it.

Ron

alton water

went to alton water for a walk today loads of great crested grebes tufted ducks and coots on the water. there was also a large pale tern fishing which i think was a sandwich tern in winter plumage although frustratingly it stayed on the far side of the water.
in the bushes there were lots of different warblers flitting about i id juv willow warbler, garden warbler and chifchaff but there were others i wasn't sure of one of which i think was a lesser whitethroat but it was difficult as they were moving about so much and i had forgotten my book
be a lot easy if they all stayed still and sat on top of bushes
still at least it was a lovely sunny day
cheers

Cant wait!!!

Hi all,

Fairly new to the site and also just back into birding (about 6 months) My fiance and i have just booked 3 nights stay 2 and a half miles away from minsmere in middle of september obviously going to Minsmere especially after reading some old threads of people who have been,
Just wanted to know from you suffolk regulars apart from obviously Minsmere where else locally is worth a visit we are staying in westleton if that helps looking forward to sampling some Adnams ale B :) and any other local sites and specialities you can recommend.

Darryl H :t:

I'll try again;)

Some good sightings around Kessingland this morning, a quick jaunt from the path across some farmland and down to the beach produced..

3 Mediterranean Gulls
4 Golden Plover
An apparent influx of Blackbirds, Songthrushes, Robins etc now in the area

Also seen from a private site near the sewage works..

1 Garden Warbler
4 Common Buzzards circling overhead
10 Lesser Redpolls
1 Cettis Warbler
1 Snipe sniffing around some grass cuttings!

Easy to imagine the bramble and scrub covered cliffs at Kessingland producing some quality migrants in the right conditions.

Matt

Attachments

• kessingland 001 (Custom).jpg
    kessingland 001 (Custom).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 251
  • kessingland 007 (Custom).jpg
    kessingland 007 (Custom).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 262
That's more like it! I was at Benacre, just south of Kessingland on Saturday morning and I have to say it was pretty quiet, with just a couple of wheatears, a Goldcrest, a Knot and a Curlew Sand in the way of migrants.

Stuart

i've had a couple of good days in the county on saturday i popped into landguard while mrsE went shopping and managed to see my first ever peregrine sat on the docks crane and got a couple of brief views of the barred warbler
then today went to boyton for the morning first thing had great views of 3 barn owls then a little later watched a couple of kingfishers chase each other got quite vicious for a while also stood next to a bush while a flock of at least 12 long-tailed tits buzzed around which was even better when irealised one of them was actually a lesser whitethroat all together 45 speices seen
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back