• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

came across a pair (well, 2 anyway) of Buzzards yesterday near the Five Bells pub at South Cove, on my way to Minsmere. Amongst other things in the general area also saw herd of (c.20) Red Deer up the hill from Scotts Hall, an Adder on the bridleway track through Walberswick, and a Bittern from the aptly named Bittern Hide,. All in all a good day

The Crossbill invasion near my village has halted but there are still more than usual knocking around. Things have gone quiet in Suffolk generally.
Cjay

Warblers

Quiet but a good month for Warblers - in a lunch break walk yesterday;

Whitethroat,

Lesser Whitethroat,

Blackcap,

Chiffchaff,

Reed Warbler,

& a Garden Warbler still feeding young.

& Spotted Flycathcer as a non-warbler treat!B :) & now its nearly the weekend! WAHEY!

went to hollesley and sutton heaths this morning in search of the crossbill invasion which seems to have passed me by didn't see any but at sutton heath found myself in the middle of a very large mixed flock of tits the largest amount were long-tailed but there were good numbers of blue , coal and great there were also a good amount of chaffinch i had good fun trying to keep up with them as they moved through the wood and trying to pick out the warblers in the end i had a blackcap a couple of willow/chiffchaff and a very nice garden warbler one of the nice things were the amount of youngsters in the flock
if anyone can suggest another place i could try for crossbill it would be greatly appreicated
cheers

Does anybody know if the Orioles are still singing/showing at all at Lakenheath? I realise they become harder later in the year but if they're still showing occasionally may call in later in the week.

Cheers

D

went to hollesley and sutton heaths this morning in search of the crossbill invasion which seems to have passed me by didn't see any but at sutton heath found myself in the middle of a very large mixed flock of tits the largest amount were long-tailed but there were good numbers of blue , coal and great there were also a good amount of chaffinch i had good fun trying to keep up with them as they moved through the wood and trying to pick out the warblers in the end i had a blackcap a couple of willow/chiffchaff and a very nice garden warbler one of the nice things were the amount of youngsters in the flock
if anyone can suggest another place i could try for crossbill it would be greatly appreicated
cheers

There has been no news lately from Hollesley Heath. There have been sightings at Dunwich and through Landguard early morning.

EDIT: Noted on Minsmere recent reports 'groups of Crossbills are seen flying over most days.

Gi

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the Orioles are still singing/showing at all at Lakenheath? I realise they become harder later in the year but if they're still showing occasionally may call in later in the week.

Cheers

D

I remember seeing a report on Birdguides stating a male seen by the first plantation during the end of last week, but as I don't subscribe I do not have further details.

Gi

28/06 - male between first plantation and River Little Ouse at 08:05 but mobile
18/06 - also Bittern and a Red Kite over
11/06 - two singing males still;

birdguides

There has been no news lately from Hollesley Heath. There have been sightings at Dunwich and through Landguard early morning.

EDIT: Noted on Minsmere recent reports 'groups of Crossbills are seen flying over most days.

Gi
cheers for that i'm going to minsmere on saturday so hopefully i will get lucky
cheers

Cheers

D

A male was singing and showing very well in Trial Wood - the second wood next to the railway from the Visitor Centre - early afternoon on Saturday 28th.

well the birding is starting to pick up after a couple of tough trips got up at 5 this morning and went to cattawade and walked to flatford.
had good views of 2 barn owls,2 kingfishers, 2 buzzards, 2 green woodpckers, 2 common terns ,2 little ringed plovers, 2 common sandpipers 2 turtle doves i was beginning to feel like noah but then there were 18 little egrets,12 greensank and 6 green sandpipers and loads of whitethroat,sedge warbler and a large flock of long-tailed tits
all in all well worth the early start
cheers

Hi there,

I’m heading over to Suffolk on Friday for a weeks holiday and staying near Minsmere. I will be looking to do some birding in that time, hopefully photographing a few species that I’ve yet to snap so does anyone have any good locations or good local knowledge for a few of my “hotlist” species? We are going as a family which includes a toddler so journeys of an hour or so will present a good sleeping opportunity for him and won’t be out of the question for a “photo twitch”!

Species that I’d really like to get include
Barn Owl
Black Redstart
Kingfisher
Nightingale
Tawny Owl
Turtle Dove
Woodlark (my bogey bird!)

Waders and water birds would include
Curlew Sandpiper
Grey Plover
Knot
Little Gull
Little Stint
Snipe
Wood Sandpiper

For the “wet stuff” I guess that Minsmere will give me as good a chance as anywhere to pick them up but any help would be gratefully appreciated.

If you want to check out the full list of stuff I have vs the missing species and maybe suggest something else, please follow --> This Link <-- to my website and check out the species list at the bottom of the page.

Many thanks in advance,

Hi there,

I’m heading over to Suffolk on Friday for a weeks holiday and staying near Minsmere. I will be looking to do some birding in that time, hopefully photographing a few species that I’ve yet to snap so does anyone have any good locations or good local knowledge for a few of my “hotlist” species? We are going as a family which includes a toddler so journeys of an hour or so will present a good sleeping opportunity for him and won’t be out of the question for a “photo twitch”!

Barn Owl
Black Redstart
Kingfisher
Nightingale
Tawny Owl
Turtle Dove

Curlew Sandpiper
Grey Plover
Knot
Little Gull
Little Stint
Snipe
Wood Sandpiper

For the “wet stuff” I guess that Minsmere will give me as good a chance as anywhere to pick them up but any help would be gratefully appreciated.

If you want to check out the full list of stuff I have vs the missing species and maybe suggest something else, please follow --> This Link <-- to my website and check out the species list at the bottom of the page.

Many thanks in advance,

Barn Owl - you could try Boyton Marshes RSPB, they have been seen in the area, I saw one a couple of months ago nearby at Stonebridge Marshes, Capel St. Andrew. The Waveney Valley in north Suffolk should be good - they've had a successful time with the Barn Owl Project.

Black Redstart - can not help.

Kingfisher - had one on the patch at Wilford Bridge, R.Deben recently but infrequent at this time of year.

Nightingale - bit late in the season, at Minsmere one was singing and showing well the other side of the pond towards North Hide.

Tawny Owl - can not help.

Turtle Dove - did see a pair at Minsmere along the new track a week or two. Have seen them on my patch along the Deben at Melton the last two mornings.

Woodlark - try the heath heathlands around Minsmere; Dunwich or Westleton. Near me the heaths of Sutton and Hollesley are OK, but I haven't been there lately.

As for the waders Minsmere would be your best option, generally too early for Knot wintering on the estuaries - I've not had any Grey Plover or Knot on my patch yet. You may get some waders on Butley Creek at Boyton Marsh, RSPB or Levington Creek, this has had Grey Plover recently. Wood Sandpiper at Minsmere yesterday.

Looking at your web site - Minsmere recents include Barnacle Goose, Marsh Harrier, Little Gull, Black Tern. Mandarin Duck are present in Holywells Park, Ipswich.

If you want further details please let me know.

Gi

Hi there,

Barn Owl
Black Redstart
Kingfisher
Nightingale
Tawny Owl
Turtle Dove

Curlew Sandpiper
Grey Plover
Knot
Little Gull
Little Stint
Snipe
Wood Sandpiper

Many thanks in advance,
Although some spots are perhaps an hours drive away from Minsmere area:

Barn Owl - Micklemere SWT reserve, next to Ixworth
Black Redstart - Perhaps Languard point or even Lowestoft
Kingfisher - Normally get good views at Lackford Lakes SWT reserve
Nightingale - Alton Water - around the edges their are huge numbers of Nightingale, failing that early AM visit to Lackford Lakes - although there not as vocal this time of the year.
Tawny Owl - Anywhere habitat looks good really.
Turtle Dove - Lackford normally always has one nocking around - failing that look at grain stores!
Woodlark - Mayday farm - also good for Tree Pipit or Weeting Heath (May be just into Norfolk!)

Curlew Sandpiper - Minsmere
Grey Plover - Perhaps a bit early, probably need to go up to Norfolk
Knot - Minsmere
Little Gull - Maybe if watch off Lowestoft
Little Stint - Minsmere
Snipe - Minsmere
Wood Sandpiper - Minsmere

Thats what I reckons anyways! Happy hunting.

Hi there,

Barn Owl
Black Redstart
Kingfisher
Nightingale
Tawny Owl
Turtle Dove

Curlew Sandpiper
Grey Plover
Knot
Little Gull
Little Stint
Snipe
Wood Sandpiper

Many thanks in advance,

Barn Owl- anywhere around eastbridge should produce them in the evening
Black Redstart- landguard point, but it may be a little early in the year? The supposedly breed by the sizewell B power station although I havent seen them there
Kingfisher- without a doubt lackford lakes
Woodlark- weeting heath is the place, not far from lackford

For your waders, Minsmere or dingle marshes. Snipe will be all over the place soon, but again you may be a little early with the timing of your visit.
Minsmere is a great reserve and you will have a great time whatever you do.

Cheers,
Jim.

Many thanks Gi, Jonny & Jim for your replies.

Looks like I may plan a few day trips while we're there then and most of those locations should be good for the family too. I've printed them out so I'll certainly try a few of them out.

If you see a bleary Welshman out early at Minsmere with too much kit but plenty of well placed enthusiasm it might well be me! I may well be continuing my mutterings about not spotting a Woodlark though!

Thanks again :t:

Hi all,
I did a bit of birding to beat the back to school blues, yesterday, around the Snape area (the Warren and Estuary near the posh shops). Bad time of year to go looking for Dartford Warblers, I know, but you've got to go where there's a lift going!
It was an enjoyable walk despite the horrendous weather around a fantastic part of the Suffolk sandlings, with 3 Whinchats, 6 Dartford Warblers and a Lesser Whitethroat on the heath of interest and 2 more Lessers down the path along the River Alde by where it gets quite overgrown with brambles just east of the heath (it almost smelt a bit Barred Warblery, but it wasn't to be). At times in between the rain, the heath appeared alive with birds, the Whinchats kept flitting about the place, as where various other Whitethroats and Long-tailed Tits.
Unfortunately the estuary wasn't so alive with birds only a few Curlews, Barwits and Little Egrets, although whilst I was on the heath I could hear Curlew and see a few large flocks flying off to surrounding arable fields as the tide came in.
6 Mandarin, (4 Juvs) at Christchurch park last thursday.

Someone else must've been birding in suffolk recently?;)

cheers
steve

Last edited:
Going to Suffolk coast this weekend - any ideas

Hi, Im staying near Minsmere on Friday and Saturday - with a plan to visit Minsmere on the Saturday. Any ideas where best to go at the moment on Friday? I will be driving in from the A14/ A12 so anywhere off there on the way to Dunwich would be good.

Steve Im interested in seeing Dartford Warblers - but not too familiar with Snape Heath? is that the walk behind the music auditorium or is it the otherside of the river?

Thanks
Tina

Hi, Im staying near Minsmere on Friday and Saturday - with a plan to visit Minsmere on the Saturday. Any ideas where best to go at the moment on Friday? I will be driving in from the A14/ A12 so anywhere off there on the way to Dunwich would be good.

Steve Im interested in seeing Dartford Warblers - but not too familiar with Snape Heath? is that the walk behind the music auditorium or is it the otherside of the river?

Thanks
Tina

Hi Tina,
It's the other side of the river, basically if you park at the snape maltings shops, cross the bridge and walk down the footpath along the river. Take a right when you reach the woodland. Carry on down the path which then leads you out of the woods and beside some saltings. The heath is then on the left and there is a gate to enter it before the path bends right again. It doesn't have as many breeding pairs as Dunwich but is a much much smaller site so I think they're easier to see there. Of course if you dip then you cn always call in on Dunwich/Westleton heath on your way up to Minsmere. Be careful as they're quite easy to disturb. Hope this helps,
Cheers
Steve

Hi all,
I did a bit of birding to beat the back to school blues, yesterday, around the Snape area (the Warren and Estuary near the posh shops). Bad time of year to go looking for Dartford Warblers, I know, but you've got to go where there's a lift going!
It was an enjoyable walk despite the horrendous weather around a fantastic part of the Suffolk sandlings, with 3 Whinchats, 6 Dartford Warblers and a Lesser Whitethroat on the heath of interest and 2 more Lessers down the path along the River Alde by where it gets quite overgrown with brambles just east of the heath (it almost smelt a bit Barred Warblery, but it wasn't to be). At times in between the rain, the heath appeared alive with birds, the Whinchats kept flitting about the place, as where various other Whitethroats and Long-tailed Tits.
Unfortunately the estuary wasn't so alive with birds only a few Curlews, Barwits and Little Egrets, although whilst I was on the heath I could hear Curlew and see a few large flocks flying off to surrounding arable fields as the tide came in.
6 Mandarin, (4 Juvs) at Christchurch park last thursday.

Someone else must've been birding in suffolk recently?;)

cheers
steve

I've only done a bit of birding recently. Went to Thorpeness and Shingle Street last week - a few warblers at Thorpeness and 2 Black Tern south, at Shingle Street, 5 Whinchat and a Wheatear.

On Sunday I went to Trimley Marshes - a few waders including 1 Wood, 2 Common and 2 Green Sandpipers, also Ruff and Spotted Redshank.

On the patch the other day I had a surprise in a Guillemot swimming past while scanning waders - a few miles up the estuary!

It's a while since I've been around the Snape area, seems like the heath was good.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back