• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer scaup - where from? (1 Viewer)

edenwatcher

In the UK we are familiar enough with scaup as a winter visitor. Indeed Fife used to be a hotspot for the species until the outfall at Leven disappeared. I remember 1000+ not so many years ago ...
However here on the inner Eden estuary we tend to observe most scaup during the summer months, from late July onwards. These are thought to result from post-breeding dispersal of Icelandic birds which seems plausible enough. As I have reported elsewhere (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=15443) this year a single drake appeared at the end of May, followed yesterday by a group of 4 (3 drakes). Why are these here now? Are they non-breeders, failed breeders, very late migrants? I see no reason to suppose captive origin, after all Father McKinney has pronounced on ducks in eastern Scotland ;) .

Rob

I suppose drakes don't have too much to do with raising the young, so they could start dispersing pretty early. Around Aberdeen there are currently several thousand Common Scoters and a fair few Velvets (not to mention 2 Surfies), both of which have a similar breeding range to Scaup. I guess these birds just leave their breeding grounds (if they ever get there) quite early and find a nice spot to moult.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back