• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunbird female id help pls. S Thailand (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

This photo was taken near Hat Yai, Songkhla province of Southern Thailand, on the top of a hill - at the stainless steel chedi should anyone be that familiar with the local:)
Looking at Robinson, all of the candidates are described as having yellowish bellies, but this appears very white to greyish undersides to me. I did see a male crimson sunbird close by a bit later.
Photo taken May 7, 2024 at around 10am.
The whitish undersides and tail do not seem to match to any of the descriptions in Robinson. I have not adjusted the photo in any way (only one I have unfortunately) but I was using overexposure to take the photo. There was a male crimson sunbird in the vicinity. But also I think a Van Hasselts.
Any and all comments and suggestions most gratefully appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1e6b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e6b.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 12
Thank you Butty, and not to disagree but to understand better, the diagram and description in Robson's appeared to me to be much darker breast. I know that not every bird is "text book" and my colour vision is not the same as others, so in asking to learn, do those points you have made override, so to speak, the "whiteness" of the belly?
Thank you again for your always informative and helpful comments.
I would note that green-tailed sunbird would be, according to eBird at least, most unusual here. Of course, that could be for many reasons, including simply lack of birding effort.
steve

Thank you Graham, I did see a male Crimson Sunbird in the area, and a van Hasselt's. Your explanation about lighting helps as the way the photo looks only green-tailed and fork-tailed seemed to have such a white tail, neither seeming likely in Songkhla as you point out.
Much appreciated
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back