• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreybirder's lep blog (2 Viewers)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
If you can't beat them, join them.
I put my trap out for the first time in almost two weeks last night. At 10.30, it was buzzing - literally. There were at least four hornets around the trap. Being a bit paranoid (I reacted very badly to my last wasp sting), I just turned the trap off and left it. So my expectations were not too high this a.m. However, it wasn't a total disaster as I had my first ever magpie moth.
The only other catches were ruby tiger, a dead straw dot, a moribund hornet and an unided micro.
I've also had two cheap ticks in the form of a blue-bordered carpet and buff footman which I had photographed but not identified! My CR has emailed me the results of various specimens and photos taken during July. I won't bore everyone with a list of micros that I'd never heard of but apparently
736 Monochroa lucidella (Gelechiidae) was only the 4th modern Surrey record.
I've had two 2nds and a 4th so far this year - which I suspect is a reflection of the fact that there are not many micro recorders in Surrey rather than the wonders of my location.
Ken

Attachments

• magpie moth 003.jpg
    magpie moth 003.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 188
  • blue-bordered carpet.jpg
    blue-bordered carpet.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 201
  • hornet 003.jpg
    hornet 003.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 182
  • buff footman.jpg
    buff footman.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I didn't put the trap on last night because it was windy and quite cool. But I still managed a couple of new species for the year. The buddleia and the hemp agrimony in particular were attracting quite a few moths. I found a couple of six-striped rustics among them. Also nfy, a lime-speck pug at a house-light. I also found this micro, possibly a tortrix, which I haven't managed to pin down though I've been through Mike Wall's thumbnails.
I only need about 6 more species to bring my garden list up to 400, so still some way to go to catch Mocha, Terry, Grampy or whichever name he's currently using ;)
Ken

PS I think I've found the tortrix:
1048 Garden Rose Tortrix Acleris variegana

Attachments

• six-striped rustic.jpg
    six-striped rustic.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 172
  • lime-speck pug.jpg
    lime-speck pug.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 162
  • moth 008.jpg
    moth 008.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 179
  • moth 010.jpg
    moth 010.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
footmen

I've now had five 'footmen' species in the garden this year so I thought I'd post the photos for comparison.
Ken

Attachments

• scarce footman1e.jpg
    scarce footman1e.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 186
  • dingy footman.jpg
    dingy footman.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 190
  • buff footman.jpg
    buff footman.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 167
  • common footman 1a.jpg
    common footman 1a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 178
  • four-dotted footman 1b.jpg
    four-dotted footman 1b.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 181
Good variety Ken,

I like the Ruby Tiger, amazing pattern.

It will be interesting to see the enteries in this months photo comp.

Got caught without a camera at a BBQ on the weekend, but a friend let me use a mobile phone to capture a UFO enjoying the remnants of spilt red wine and nibbles (not mine, I never spill a drop!!)

Just waiting now for the pics to be sent back to me.
Will post if anything interesting shows.

I suppose for completeness I should put rosy footman up!
And here's a ruby tiger ;)
Ken

Attachments

• rosy footman.jpg
    rosy footman.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 176
  • ruby tiger.jpg
    ruby tiger.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Ah, that's better. I do like Rosy Footman, although for 'completeness' there should be another 10 species (plus the stramineola form of Dingy). ;)

brianhstone said:
Ah, that's better. I do like Rosy Footman, although for 'completeness' there should be another 10 species (plus the stramineola form of Dingy). ;)
I'll have to rely on you for the other 10, Brian, as they've never visited me. I like the look of crimson speckled but I'm not holding my breath to see one!
Ken

f. stramineola footman

pie said:
Aw, see I just assumed!!!
Just because Brian asked for it, and he identified it from my picture, and I happen to have caught it when I was in Norwich (at UEA) in early July..here it is again, for comparison.

Dingy Footman: Eilema griseola f. stramineola

Hope it helps

David

Attachments

• 060710 Footman 02.JPG
    060710 Footman 02.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 198
2nd August

The good news was that there were only two hornets in the trap (plus a wasp) - and also that we finally had some heavy rain :bounce:
Not so good, there were few moths... but one was a micro that I don't recognise. I have done a quick skim through UK moths thumbnails but not spotted it, so grateful if someone could name it.
Other moths were:
flame shoulder (sev)
dark arches
common carpet
common rustic agg.
mother of pearl
the spectacle.

Ken

Attachments

• a pair of spectacles.jpg
    a pair of spectacles.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 194
  • common rustic agg.jpg
    common rustic agg.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 194
  • moth 017.jpg
    moth 017.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 175
3rd August

It was quiet last night with cooller temps.
New for year was dusky thorn.
Also seen: brimstone
flame carpet
common rustic agg
20-plume
a plume
a Crambid
common white wave
a very pale footman

Attachments

• flame carpet.jpg
    flame carpet.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 204
  • moth 005.jpg
    moth 005.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 195
  • moth 009.jpg
    moth 009.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 195
  • moth 006.jpg
    moth 006.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 192
  • dusky thorn.jpg
    dusky thorn.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
4. Agriphila tristella,
5. probably Amblyptilia punctidactyla (it's not reddish brown like A. acanthadactyla)

brianhstone said:
Agreed. It also has the rather 'peppered' look of punctidactyla.
That'll be a new one for me if confirmed.
I suspect that my footman could be hoary, as it was very pale and sat in a rather 'scarce' posture. I'm sending it to my CR for checking. He had 10 recently!
Ken

4Aug06

Very quiet last night. Only new one for year was
lesser broad-bordered yellow underwing

Attachments

• lesser bb y underwing 001.jpg
    lesser bb y underwing 001.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 166
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back