• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Ontario (Pelee/Rondeau/Long Pt) - May 08 (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

General

This was my second trip to Canada to see close friends Mike & Elaine, and I was to stay with them at their London home for the bulk of my stay from 9th-18th May 2008. I had visited the Rockies with them ten years ago, but this was my first trip to see the birds of SW Ontario along Lake Erie. Ontario is far less scenic than the Rockies of course, in general being fairly flat, non-descript arable land. It does have a charm of its own however. We also rented a cottage for 3 nights on the outskirts of Leamington (tomatoe growing capital of Canada) so that we could access Point Pelee quickly, and stayed at an excellent birder- friendly B & B near Port Rowan (Long Point) for one night. At migration time accommodation can be ridiculously expensive, especially at Pelee where I gather the local Travelodge cost over £200 per night!

I have to apologise for the lack of photos (in fact there are none). I made the conscious decision not to purchase digi-scoping equipment some time ago, being a traditional birder who would rather spend his time obtaining clear views. May be one day! Infact, wonderful photos could have been obtained on this trip of many highly colourful and desired species.:C

The weather was variable, it could feel warm - upto 20C when the sun was out, but there were also strong bands of rain that were accompanied by winds. But we did ok, and of course you rely on weather fronts for influxes of newly grounded migrants.

The 3 key migrant destinations on Lake Erie of Point Pelee, Rondeau and Long Point were all accessable from London, and we took in inland reserves on route, although these places required less time to see the birds on offer. My target birds were really the array of spectacular warblers that can pass through, although there was obviously a lot more to see as well. Over the ten days we were to see 150 species, of which 74 were lifers for me. The migrants are attracted particularly to the flooded 'carolinian' forests - rare tracts of woodland that still exist within each of the key reserves along Lake Erie.

The roads are grid like - and are given names as opposed to numbers, so a good road map will make it easy. The main motorway in the area is Highway 401 which runs up from Toronto and all the way to Detroit across the border. You need to take roads off 401 to get to key destinations of course. I found the road system quite easy but the roads were surprisingly rivetted compared to the many smooth roads we have here in the U.K. (what! praising our road system! whatever next)

I flew from Manchester to Toronto where Mike & Elaine picked me up. I flew via Zoom Airlines, and for a budget airline they were excellent. Service was very good, although with just 50% load factors either way, can they survive? They were selling tickets at £70 each way at the last moment, though I had paid £300 approximately well in advance.

Before I kick off with a daily itinery, let me mention common species that were more or less everywhere, and I shall in general omit these from the daily itinery.
Common Grackle These are everywhere you look, blackbird size birds with smooth black-blue irridescent plummage and beady eyes, and when they fly they have wedge shaped tails that are used in the same way Red Kites utilise their projections. Can look quite evil in my opinion.
Red-Winged Blackbird A beautiful bird with a magical mechanical song, possessing gorgeous yellow-bordered crimson wing patches. They can be seen anywhere in number, in towns, by the highway, in the reserves, and spread out over reedbeds. So after a while, their appeal quickly diminshes!
Starling Common here as they are in the U.K.
House Sparrow Ditto, especially in villages and towns.
Barn Swallow Common in Ontario, feeding over the woods and arable land.
Mourning Dove These dainty little doves can be seen with some frequency in most places. The only Dove species seen in fact.
American Robin Not seen in huge numbers, but routinely.
American Crow Not seen in the number that corvids can be seen in the U.k. but non-descript and fairly uninspiring (sorry crow!)

Finally, my immense gratitude must go to my dear friends Mike & Elaine who had planned this trip purely for my benefit, they drove me around and fed me. Elaine crocked her knee, and I didn't realise just how badly she had injured it as she soldiered on "womanfully" without complaint for the ten days.

Day One 10th May 2008 -RONDEAU

Although we arrived at Mike & Eaine's house at 3a.m. on the morning of the 10th (after my flight), we agreed to utlise that day as the weather looked lovely. So after an hour or two's sleep I arose first and watched birds (as I did most mornings) from their kitchen window whilst I ate breakfast. They have several feeders which attracted Mourning Doves, Sparrow's, including a couple of regular White-Crowned, Grackles, Starlings, a single Black-Capped Chickadee, tiny American Goldfinches, House Finches (that I initially mistook for Redpolls!), and a pair of 'gaudy' Northern Cardinals. I had never seen cardinals before and the male in his raspberry outfit was stunning! My first adrenalin rush of many! A Downy Woodepcker was on the neighbour's feeder too, and black and grey squirrels were omni-present.

We departed for RONDEAU at 10a.m. (late departures were a feature of our holiday and possibly a reason for missing out on a number of skulkers). That was my choice by the way! Getting old you see - comfort first!

We arrived after midday, paying the small fee for a 'car load' by the entrance to the park. After a short drive towards the visitors centre, we pulled up as cars were parked and birders were suddenly out-of-nowhere everywhere -about fifty of them! I had not seen a single birder until this point in fact. We jumped out (after 'nabbing' a lucky car parking spot!), and took the path left known as Bennett Road. This was a broad straight footpath, and it was eveident that a large group were scanning a tree above them. We were told that a Cerulean Warbler was present - a lifer for Mike & Elaine. And it was stunning male. 8-P Infact we were lucky in that male warblers seemed to be passing through in number, with females passing behind them a few days later being the normal movement pattern. These little critters usually skulk around in the highest of branches, but this bird came down to at least mid-tree level. I noted the breast band on white underparts, then moved to the left to obtain better sun angle views. I was thrilled to note the gorgeous 'cerulean-blue' upperparts. This rarity made for a wonderful start! Nearby, a male Palm warbler seemed embarrassed to put in an appearance with its far less flambuoyant plummage, but I noted the brown cap. Behind us, a Louisiana Waterthrush bobbed up and down, but views were not great and this was to be the only example seen. We walked back towards the car park (only one hundred metres), and took the path/boardwalk on the opposite side of the road known as 'Spice Bush Trail'. We spent a couple of hours on this short circular path which was extremely productive. The first of many Yellow Warblers showed (in fact about 25 were seen today and this species was by far the most common warbler species seen overall). They are what they are - yellow! Though the males possess rusty red breast streaks. A male Black-Throated Green Warbler offered excellent views, followed by a brief White-Breasted Nuthatch! Again this was the only one to be seen on the trip, not that I realised at the time. Ruby-Crowned Kinglets 'zipped' around, though we did not note any birds with crown stripes over the ten days. A few Least Flycatcher's were present, offering close views. A 'superb' adult Bald Eagle flew just above the tree canopy, yet again we were not to realise that this was to be the only one seen. Turkey Vultures regularly flew overhead, and in fact I should really have added this bird to the 'routinely-seen' list at the start! Brown-Headed Cowbirds frolicked in the trees along with gorgeous Baltimore Orioles, the latter being seen with some frequency at all reserves, but boy are they gorgeous with their golden-yellow and black plummage! As we progressed a couple of Ovenbirds scampered around the foilage, really strange looking warblers! More akin to the thrush family in my opinion. I heard a Gray Catbird but failed to locate it (they were routinely seen later however!). 20 Double-Crested Cormorants flew overhead as we kept one eye on the skyline and one on terra-firmer! A single Swainson's Thrush was 'glimpsed' (identified by others), and a pair of Northern Cardinal's flashed by. At least 3 'handsome' male Common Yellowthroats with their 'Lone-Ranger' masks were seen, and a couple of Swamp Sparrows were seen in the swamp! A 3rd bird showed better a little later on. Then, we stood on the boardwalk overlooking reeds and a few dead trees, and instantly I knew from the striking wing pattern that my first ever Pileated Woodpecker had just alighted on a tree trunk. This 'huge' male drummed away for a few seconds, and re-appeared a few moments later for a second viewing. Fantastic stuff! B :) Nearby, a few inconspicuous Rusty Blackbirds were feeding on the gound quietly, with Chipmunks! We then passed a few trees where both White-Crowned Sparrows and White-Throated Sparrows were prominant. A magnificent pair Rose-Breasted Grosbeak's then put in an appearance, offering exceptionally close views as they flew down to a stream. A pair of House Wrens were building a nest nearby, and then we doubled back as we were told by another birder that a Worm Eating Warbler was on show. We spent half an hour in futile search before we soldiered on, a little disappointed at our first setback! A Hairy Woodpecker put in an appearance for us nearby however. As we progressed back towards the start point on the circular path, I noted a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher flying to and from the nest it was building. And then, I noted the movement of a small brown bird close to the ground - it was the Worm-Eating Warbler, with its cream supercilium and thickish bill for a warbler. This was a real bonus, one of those elusive warbler species I did not expect to get! A Yellow-Rumped 'Myrtle' Warbler was also seen and a pair of Northern Flickers (Yellow-shafted) briefly flew around tree-tops. But views were very poor.
Back at the car, feeling very satisfied with the offerings, we noted a crowd still at the same point on Bennett Road. I presumed it was the Cerulean Warbler still on show, but I thought we better check it out and I am glad we did! As I walked up to the gathering of birders, I was stopped in my tracks by a 'stunning' male Blackburnian Warbler just a few metres away from me. This is one of those 'must-see' species. Wow! What a stunner with its 'explosion' of breast flame-colour! But I quickly moved on, drawn by the obvious anticipation of the crowd nearby. A Solitary Sandpiper was feeding in the flooded woods, but the observers told me that a male Prothonotary Warbler had just been showing - with the emphasis of course on the 'just been showing!' I was told they breed at Rondeau but rarely showed. I need not have worried, within a minute or two it re-appeared, and quickly moved towards us. Eventually, it showed down to two to three metres, at eye level, 'dwarfing' a smaller Yellow Warbler. The gleaming golden-yellow head shone like a torch in the black of night, it genuinely was quite incredible. This was a major highlight of the trip and yes you guessed it, time for another smiley !!B :)
We then drove on to the visitors centre, where we watched birds on and around the feeders, including more Orioles, woodpeckers, and my first of several attractive 'ginger-crowned' Chipping Sparrows. I noted many Common Mergansers on the lake itself. We enjoyed Elaine' sandwiches and 'goodies' before moving off onto 'Tulip Tree Trail', which commenced close to the Visitors Centre. At first it seemed pretty birdless, but it did not take long to hit a flooded section with a raised boardwalk where several birders were gathered, quietly watching warblers flitting all around! Another Black Throated-Green Warbler was on view, followed by up to 4 Red-Breated Nuthatches. Suddenly, 2 tiny birds whizzed around our feet and landed a metre away, clearly unconcerned by our presence. These were Northern Waterthrushes, gorgeous little warblers that looked like Common Sandpiper mixed with baby Song Thrush! The mind boggles! A heavily spotted Wood Thrush was nearby. A 'stunning' male Chestnut-sided Warbler then offered quite fantastic close views, accompanied by a black and orange male American Redstart. We did not know which way to look! Someone then mentioned that a Black-Throated Blue Warbler was present. This was probably top of my 'wish-list', and for the next few minutes my binoculars were transfixed on not one but two gorgeous males fliiting around branches close by. :t: I was a very happy man!
We progressed along this shortish trail, seeing an elusive Lincoln's Sparrow, Eastern Pheobe, and a large flycatcher called Eastern Wood Pawee. More birds just lined up for us - another Blackburnian Warbler, then a 'poorly' seen Tennesse Warbler, with its plain markings. Another adrenalin rush occurred as a strikingly streaky Black and White Warbler came into view, followed by a 'streaky' yellow and black Magnolia Warbler. Could things get any better? Another Rose-Breasted Grosbeak and another Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher offered views before we reached the car.
As we drove out towards the park entrance, we took a right turn to 'Children's Hut'. This was a very good move, as a pair of Eastern Kingbird's were by the beach, as were a pair of 'lovely' Blue Jays and a pair of Red-Headed Woodpeckers. American Herring Gulls were on the lake itself, and upto 15 Turkey Vultures were sat in gatherings on the beach.

I fell asleep as we drove back to London from Rondeau, dreaming of the great days birding that I had enjoyed. I felt I could relax now, and anything else would be a bonus! I had seen virtually all my target warblers on the first day - Black-Throated Blue, Blackburnian, Black & White, Magnolia, Chestnut-Sided, Black-Throated Green, Northern & Louisiana Waterthrushes, Ovenbird etc, as well as Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Solitary Sandpiper, Bald Eagle, several flycatchers. The list goes on! And of course I never expected those special bonuses of Cerulean Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler and Worm-eating warbler - birds to make any Canadian trip complete.

The flip side of such a great day was that surely the luck and good birding could not continue? Could it?

My next installment will follow asap (I might enjoy the read even if no one else does!):-C

Last edited:
Day two 11th May 2008 - Charing Cross / Earieau / Leamington.

As we talked over breakfast, I noted that the previous days birding had brought me 64 species. A great start!

Today was about transitting to our accommodation just outside Leamington, close to Point pelee. As we set off late morning it was rainy and windy, though the former quickly subsided. Mike pulled us off the 401 Highway at junction 90, and from there we quickly turned onto Horton Line Road, which led for a few miles to a junction by the village of CHARING CROSS. This stretch of arable land containing many onion fields, was ideal for larks. I am not sure it is a well known spot but it was fruitful. Killdeers flitted across the road, and we stopped to scan extensive flat fields. We picked up a couple of Horned Larks (pale-phase), and nearby I picked out the only American Pipit of the trip. Another field contained a number of Ring-Billed Gulls and amidst them were a couple of large white Glaucous Gulls. Not being a huge gull fan, I still spent a little time watching them. We drove on slowly, noting a juvenile Northern Harrier hunting at some distance. And then we hit a real 'hot-spot' just a few hundred yards before the junction with Charing Cross Road, with upto 15 Bobolinks being located in fields either side of the road. Mike reckoned upto 30 birds were present, but it was difficult to estimate numbers as they kept disappearing in the long grass. All but one were attractive males, and a few offered really close views beside the road, but they were mobile in the breeze. What a piece of luck. Bobolinks are generally highly sought after birds, and are fairly rare and elusive at the main reserves.

We drove on, and scoured the arable land close to Erie but could not locate a flock of Black-bellied Plovers present. Despite touring the lanes, all we could find were more Killdeers and a solitary Savannah Sparrow with distinctly yellowish lores. Amongst regular farmland birds, we also found a couple of Mute Swans, The adjacent village of EARIEAU was visited next, and the harbour revealed a number of smart Bonaparte's Gulls as well as some terns, all showed extremely well perched on wooden jetties. Slender Forster's Terns were watched closely, and I noted their pale outer arm and sleek flight profile. Beautiful birds! A Black Tern was fishing low over the water, but although species seen were not great in number, they were different to ones we would generally see at the main reserves. So it was very worthwhile.

We drove on towards our rented cottage at Oxley, just outside LEAMINGTON. As we approached 3 Chimney Swifts flew overhead, and I got the chance to study smart adult Ring-Billed Gulls down to a few metres as we stopped at a supermarket car park in Leamington itself.

We unpacked and settled in to our home for the next three nights. In the grounds we noted a few Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Northern Cardinals, as well as a couple of intergrade Bullocks - Baltimore Orioles, which are known to hybridise. Of course there were also Starlings, Grackles and Swallows galore! We enjoyed a lovely meal whilst chilling out trying to work out the heating system at the quaint property. I was full of anticipation of what might lie ahead, at my first day at Point Pelee tomorrow.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear about what all you were able to see at Point Pelee! How about a Kirtland's Warbler! That's one I still need for my "lower 48" (states) list.

Probably fairly standard stuff for a Noth American birder Larry, but for a Brit like me it was 'pant-weting' time almost! I did not get to see a Kirtland's Warbler butI knwo one was seen a day or two after we returned to London.:C

Day Three 12th May 2008 - POINT PELEE

A quick check of the beach area and adjacent bank at the house revealed a smart Carolina Wren, as well as a brief Spotted Sandpiper by the stoney narrow beach. A few Great Blue Herons, Double-crested Cormorants, and Forster's Terns flew by, but it was a chilly morning with the breeze and pending drizzle sending me scurrying back to the house prematurely!

After a leisurely breakfast we set off for POINT PELEE which is just outside Leamington.

We stopped briefly to examine a pale, juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk, and then again at the book store to stock up! A pair of Red-Headed Woodpeckers were on the feeders opposite. We progressed and paid the 47 CDN at the kiosk, for a three-day pass for a car to access the reserve. The spine road takes you a few miles up to the excellent reserve centre and car park, but there are several signposted turn offs on either side of the road worthy of examination! We checked out North-west Beach, which was fruitful as we saw a couple of Veery's, 3 Common Yellowthroats, Wood Thrush, Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, White Crowned Sparrows, Orioles and then a pair of huge Wild Turkeys 'strutting' accross the road!

Having checked out latest sightings and used the toilets at the excellent Reserve Visitor's centre, we progressed along Shuster's Trail, accessed from the north-eastern corner of the Reserve Centre car park. After just one hundred metres we stopped at a flooded section of woods which was clearly a highly regarded spot. A White-Eyed Vireo was in the trees just above our heads, and I noted the thick bill and whitish eye too! One can progress straight along this trail to East beach, but we chose to take the left turn into Tilden's Wood and onto Chinquapin Oak Trail. Infact, various paths merge into each other and can be circum-navigated within the Wood. I was struck by the number of Canadian youths interested in bird-watching, groups of lads with baseball caps who back in the U.K. would all have nothing in common except supporting man Utd via their armchair and satellite box and hanging around street corners trying to look mean! Don't get me wrong, Canada has just the same youth issues of nuisance and mimicry of U.S. gang culture as the U.K. does, but these lads and lasses were genuinely interested in birds and conservation, not in the obsessive U.K. 'twitching' manner but in a laid-back "lets just enjoy the birds" way. And it was both refreshing and surprising.
We could all hear a 'calling' Kentucky Warbler but no one (as far as I knew) managed to glimpse it despite considerable effort. Birds that did show in the woods included 2 Cedar Waxwings, 2 Wood Thrushes, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Black-Throated Blue Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-Sided Warbler, 2 Gray Catbirds.. A very 'brief' male Indigo Bunting was 'tantalising' but I enjoyed views of 3 Black and White Warblers including a 'cracking' male! I found it hard to take my eyes off this little 'humbug' patterned bird.
We rejoined Shuster's Trail and walked up to East Beach, where an American Black Vulture was sitting 'forlornly' on the beach. In fact it was there the following day, and although it looked quite smart it was clearly not at all well, and it was taken into care within a few days. A pair of Sharp-Shinned Hawks showed well overhead as we walked back to the car park for sandwiches.
Any remaining drizzle had now passed and the sun came out as we boarded the train by the Reserves Visitors Centre (a couple of carriages pulled by a 4 x 4), to take us the extra mile to The Tip (and Tip Trail).

After disembarking the 'train' we walked back a hundred metres along the tarmac road checking out the trees and foilage for a reported Lark Spparrow, but our search was futile! However, 3 Eastern Kingbirds, Rose Breasted Grosbeak, and the first Eastern Towhee of the trip were seen. Then, 2 American White Pelicans flew low overhead, a real rarity here!
We embarked on the narrow winding paths that constitute Tip Trail, and this area that only covers a few hundred metres in length provided an afternoon of supreme birding! Birds were just everywhere, although some local birders suggested migration had been quite disappointing this year! Palm Warbler, Black and White Warbler, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Orange-Crowned Warbler lined up for us - all males of course! And then my first Warbling Vireo offered great views, a coffee coloured bird with a cream supercilium. As we progressed slowly towards the Tip, several gorgeous male warblers then really got the juices flowing! Blackburnian Warbler, Black-Throated Green Warbler, and my first male Bay-Breasted Warbler, followed by 2 Cape May Warblers and a 'gorgeous' male Northern Parula. Another Palm Warbler and the first of several Nashville Warblers were on show, as well as a couple more Black and White Warblers. This was warbler heaven, and I loved the colouration of the Cape May and Bay-Breasted Warblers especially, and not just because they were new birds for me. I would have appreciated better views of the Parula though!

I walked to the ever-eroding tip just metres away, where a couple of Black-Bellied Plovers flew past. 2 'wonderfully-gaudy' male Scarlet Tanagers then appeared, and they dropped to the ground two metres away to feed ! Absolute stunners with their bright red plummage! It was hard to drag your eyes away from them, but next to them an adult Red-Eyed Vireo appeared, and again I enjoyed 'crippling' views of this attractive bird with its grey-blue head, reddish eyes, olive back and pale supercilium. Viroes are generally regarded as shy, elusive birds, but not this one!

This 'landfall' zone continued to produce goodies.........a 'superb' adult male Indigo Bunting offered clear views for just long enough close by, and Magnolia Warbler, Tree Swallows, 2 Northern Cardinals and a single Field Sparrow were also of note here. A few more Forster's Terns, Common Mergansers, Bonaparte's Gulls were visible on or over the adjacent Lake, and we walked down towards West Beach from the Tip Point, hoping to see Brown Thrashers. We disappointingly 'dipped' on this species altogether on the holiday, though sightings had been few and far between. However, 3 Chimney Swifts passed overhead.

We caught the train back to the car park with adrenalin pumping! On the way out we 'clamboured' up the panoramic stand at 'Blue Heron' that provides stunning views over the expansive reedbed. And apart from a few herons, all we could see were Red-Winged Blackbirds, Barn Swallows and a distant female Northern Harrier. I did see a Racoon on the boardwalk here, and a Canada Geese pair with 7 cute chicks! I am sure that this marsh (via Marsh Walk) holds rails and bitterns at dusk, but sadly we never got there!

This had been a quite superb day for me. Point Pelee had truly delivered!

Last edited:
Day Four 13th May 2008 - POINT PELEE

A return to POINT PELEE was eagerly anticipated, but North-West Beach did not seem as active as yesterday, The weather today was lovely and sunny, perhaps there had been a clear out? We did see my first American Tree Sparrow, Gray Catbirds, 2 Cedar Waxwings, Orchard Oriole, Baltimore Orioles, Black and White Warbler here. I checked out an area of scrub by the car park here, and fleetingly 'glimpsed' a male Hooded Warbler. It only emerged above vegetation level to 'buzz' a Yellow Warbler, and I never saw it or another of this species again on the trip! The woods leading from North-West Beach back to the main spine road revealed Veery, Black-Throated Green Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Nashville Warbler. A Gray Catbird offered excellent views close by, as it sang for its partner whilst holding a moth in its mouth. I could clearly see the reddish undertail. 3 Song Sparrows also showed well in this zone, two of which were males with rich brown colours. Baltimore Oriole's may be common-place, but a 'stunning' male was well worthy of a good look!

With wind in our sails so to speak, we then intended to drive on to the Visitor's Centre, only to be stopped in our tracks by a warden !! She told us the large car park was full !! I could not believe I had come all the way from England, only to be 'halted' a mile from one of the best birding areas in North America. It was no-ones fault of course, in fact the car park is as large if not larger than any I know of back home. But oh the frustration!! We could not walk because of Elaine's knee. Although she did offer to try!

An hour of 'pottering' around finding few birds followed, and we re-checked the stop-point, and this time we got in! A Sharp-Shinned Hawk showed very well above the Visitor's Centre car park, and we briefly checked out the adjacent 'flooded' section along Shuster's Trail before lunch, where both White-Eyed Vireo and Warbling Vireo showed well along with male and female American Redstarts.. We ate Elaine's wonderful 'sarnies' on a bench in the car park, and as we did so 9 Turkey Vultures 'drifted' overhead, accompanied by a Cooper's Hawk- with its distinctly rounded tail. A juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk then flew overhead, and Mike spotted a Dark-Eyed Junco (slate-coloured) feeding on the short grass nearby.

We caught the train to The Tip, and many of yesterday's birds were still present but there were some new arrivals as well. Birds seen included both male Scarlet Tanagers, Cape May Warbler, Red-Eyed Vireo, 2 Blackburnian Warblers, Red-Breasted Nuthatch, 2 Black-Throated Green Warblers, 2 Chestnut-Sided Warblers, Magnolia Warbler, 2 Bay-Breasted Warblers, 4 Nashville Warblers, 2 Yellow-Rumped (Myrtle) Warblers. A 'patchy' blue and brown 1st-summer male Indigo Bunting was present along with Grackles, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Orioles and Tree Swallows. Best of all, I managed to enjoy clear views of a male Yellow-Breasted Chat that had eluded me yesterday. With its long tail and thickish bill, this bird surprisingly belongs to the warbler-family!

An unexpected bird seen crawling around the undergrowth was a female Lady Amherst's Pheasant with its tiger stripes and orange crown. Locals said they were surprised that this 'escape' had lasted through such a cold winter!

We spent an hour checking out the area back past the Tip Station, and we enjoyed good views of male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Palm Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, 3 Yellow-Rumped (Myrtle) Warblers, 2 Orchard Orioles, Chestnut-Sided Warbler, 2 Warbling Vireos, 2 Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, Cape May Warbler. A highlight here was the sighting of a male Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted), that showed above our heads in a tree. And at last another new species for me, a very 'brief' male Blackpoll Warbler astride a pine tree. Not the prettiest of warblers, but a welcome addition to my list! I was repeatedly seeing the same 'attractive' warblers, but not many of the 'skulkers' present. In fact, Canada, Mourning, Blue-Winged, and Golden-Winged Warblers were to continue to elude me despite their presence around the area.

We again strolled down towards West Beach from The Tip, and although again we could not find any Brown Thrashers, we enjoyed awesome views of another male Scarlet Tanager. This bright red bird possessed yellowish flecking on the wings, features that distinguished it from the other males seen, and features that perhaps suggested this was sub-adult? A female Eastern Bluebird was the last bird seen before we boarded the train back to the visitors centre, and it took us a while to identify what it was!

Back at the car park at 5pm, we again walked around Tilden's Wood. A Racoon was seen by the flooded section along Shuster's Trail, along with Black-Capped Chickadee, 2 American Redstarts, 2 Cedar Waxwings. Nearby, a Winter Wren, 3 Gray Catbirds and a female Black-Throated Blue Warbler were identified, the latter courtesy of a subtle white wing-spot. A Yellow-Throated Vireo showed well nearby, and I enjoyed good views but it was difficult to distinguish from a warbler for me! A Northern Waterthrush was also seen but views could never surpass those enjoyed at Rondeau on my first full day of birding.

This had been another fine day, but it was becoming apparent that we were seeing the same birds repeatedly, and lifers were becoming harder and harder, which is natural. I was still enjoying watching the 'pretty' warblers anyway, I would possibly never see them again once I left these shores.

Last edited:
Day Five 14th May 2008 - HILLMAN'S MARSH / POINT PELEE / MUDDY CREEK, WHEATLEY

Today was our final day in the Pelee area and it was time to leave our rented cottage behind. Bank Swallows were watched closely before we left.

First port of call was HILLMAN'S MARSH. The 'acquired' Pelee permit allows entry here too, but at this time of year it was to prove a disappointment. We drove around in the drizzle for some time, but only managed to see Common Terns, Double-Crested Cormorants, Tree Swallows, a Northern Cardinal, Canada Geese, 2 Great Egrets. Over 100 Bonaparte's Gulls were at North Beach, although I enjoyed very close views of a Great Blue Heron nearby, and it revealed its chestnut thighs. Ooh you sexy thing!

By the time we reached POINT PELEE itself, the rain had subsided. On the approach to the Visitor's Centre, we checked out sign-posted areas like Dunes where 4 Hermit Thrushes, Downy Woodpecker, Red-Eyed Vireo, 3 Cape May Warblers, Nashville Warbler were located.

After parking up in the Visitor Centre's car park for the last time, we walked along Shuster's Trail to East Beach. I missed a Philadelphia Vireo that had been showing just before I reached the appropriate spot, but I enjoyed 'stunning' views of both Northern Parula and Bay-Breasted Warbler right next to the path.....and when I mean right next to the path I mean one metre away! They were both 'splendid' males too! A 'fine' male American Redstart and 2 Warbling Vireos were also present. And the American Black Vulture was still on East beach, allowing ridiculously close views!

We then entered Tilden's Wood, taking various 'inter-linking' trails such as Seasonal footpath, Chinquapin Oak Trail, Centennial Trail. You could spend hours 'ambling' around the Wood. If one thing is guaranteed, you will see some stuff and miss others! Birds of note that we saw included Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Magnolia Warbler, Indigo Bunting, Blackburnian Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Red-Eyed Vireo, Common Yellowthroat, 2 Scarlet Tanagers, Chestnut-Sided Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Cedar Waxwings, Orchard Oriole, American Redstart, Least Flycatcher, and another very confiding male Northern Parula. What a little beauty he was too !

We drove away from the Visitor's centre for the final time (there was no time for a trip to the Tip today!). We stopped for sandwiches at 'Sleepy Hollow', another uninvestigated spot within the park. We saw Lincoln's Sparrow, Winter Wren, Nashville Warbler , as well as Yellow Warblers and both Oriole species here.

We were sad to move on, but we had done Pelee quite thoroughly, though you could bird here for a week at this time of year!

A few stops were made as we drove back to London. MUDDY CREEK, NEAR WHEATLEY was a 'drive-by', but we enjoyed excellent views of 13 Great Egrets here!

Elaine had arranged access (via a permit, key and padlock combination code) to Blenheim Sewage Lagoons, but unknown to us and others who had applied, the combination had been changed, and the permit secretary was away 'sunning' herself on holiday! A few unsavoury words were directed at her (justly or unjustly) and we had to miss this place out. Raised banks and metal fences meant views could not be obtained, though a female Northern Harrier offered excellent close flight views nearby, whilst being aggressively 'buzzed' by a Red-Winged Blackbird!

Thunder approached as we drove back to London. We had enjoyed good birding in Pelee, but it was time to move on.

Last edited:
Day Six 15th May 2008 - PORT STANLEY LAGOONS

After three days at Pelee, today was meant to be a relaxing day. We did a bit of shopping locally in the morning, before deciding on a shortish trip to PORT STANLEY. Mike & Elaine knew of a spot along Sparta Line Road on the outskirts of the town and close to the Lagoons where Eastern Bluebirds could be found, and indeed with a little patience and observation 3 'beautiful' royal-blue and orange males were seen. I was very pleased with these sightings!

At Port Stanley Lagoons itself two hides overlook the four lagoons. The two lagoons to the right held less water and so were more attractive to waders / shorebirds. We spent at least an hour here watching good numbers of birds. Tree Swallows, Bank Swallows, Northern Rough-Winged Swallows were all easy to see,and Song Sparrows and Savannah Sparrows were around the margins. Wildfowl were represented by a drake Bufflehead, Gadwalls, Mallards, Canada Geese, Wood Ducks, Ruddy Ducks and several Scaup species that I forgot to check (presuming they were 'Great' but I may well be wrong!). I was watching waders more closely. Over 200 Dunlin were present, and amongst them were several Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpipers, as well as a couple of Least Sandpipers and a single Long-Billed Dowitcher.

As we packed our scopes back in the car all hell broke loose as the 'swirling' flock of waders took to flight, and seconds later a male Merlin 'swooped' low over the lagoons. We quickly climbed the steps to the hide again, but there was no trace of the bird of prey. However, this was a smart move, as Mike picked out a male Red-Bellied Woodpecker perched on a dead tree behind the lagoons. Another 'lifer' for me and a smart bird to boot!

4 Turkey Vultures 'glided' low past the car as we departed, but local birders treat these with a little contempt, and I must admit in birding terms I was beginning to understand how they felt. They can be seen almost anywhere and everywhere!

Still, it had been a good visit, an unexpected bonus prior to our departure tomorrow to the final key migrant hotspot of Long Point.

Last edited:
Day Seven 16th May 2008 - AYLMER WILDLIFE AREA / LONG POINT

Today, after watching the normal birds at breakfast at Mike and Elaine's house on the feeders, we set off towards Long Point.

En route, they took me to AYLMER WILDLIFE AREA, a reserve just out of Aylmer town and bizarrely adjacent to a Police training centre, where they practise car chases. So whilst we were listening for bird call at this pleasant small reserve, we could in the main just hear 'screeching' tyres and 'roaring' engines similar to that expected in an old edition of 'Starsky & Hutch'! Passerine activity was little to write home about here, with species seen including Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warblers, Chipping Sparrows, White-Crowned Sparrows, Brown-Headed Cowbirds. Bank, Tree and Rough-Winged Swallows were all present too.

The waders/ shorebirds were of most interest to me, and I was pleased with the birds on offer. A 'fine' Hudsonian Godwit that revealed its white rump was possibly the highlight, along with 2 'dainty' Wilson's Phalaropes that spun around and tail-bobbed! 7 'summer-plummage' Long-Billed Dowitchers were present but distant(we presumed to be LBD's due to the inland fresh-water location), as were a few Least Sandpipers, Semi-Palmated Plovers, Spotted Sandpipers, and around 30 Dunlin.

What an excellent little spot this was, well worth the slight detour!

We arrived at the LONG POINT / PORT ROWAN area just after mid-day, and parked up across the road from the Long Point's 'famous' Old Cut Woods. Banding finishes at midday, so we checked out the small wood ourselves, before and after more delicious sandwiches prepared by Elaine. In general, the same warblers were encountered as at Pelee and Rondeau, although we started to notice more females filtering though. An immature Red-Tailed Hawk passed overhead, and birds within the wood included Chestnut-Sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Nashville Warbler, 2 House Finches, American Tree Sparrow, White-Throated Sparrow, American Redstart, Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbirds, Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Red-Breasted Nuthatch, Least Flycatcher, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Black-Throated Blue Warbler. The highlight was a Willow Flycatcher that we took time to identify!

We drove on, to Big Creek nearby, and here a small ramp (compared to that a Pelee!) overlooked the expansive reedbed. A female Northern Harrier 'drifted' past, and a Black Tern was seen distantly. A Canada Goose 'waddled' along the bank with 20 goslings! An amusing but amazing sight! Red-Winged Blackbirds were prominant across the reedbed, and I was very happy to see a pair of Purple Martins fly past, amongst the many Barn Swallows. I was struck by the large size of the former species.

We then moved onto B.S.C. Pond (Bird Studies Canada), where 6 Purple Martins were watched amongst other hirundines at closer quarters. Nest boxes are provided and utilised! On the small pond, 3 Least Sandpipers were of note, but the 'eye-candy' was provided by 3 Green Herons. In the bright sunshine, one of them looked to possess 'irridescent' royal blue upperparts, but it was the light playing tricks!

We decided to venture a little inland to Backuss Conservation Area, to a recommended area off the strangely-named Third Concession Road. We located a boardwalk path just off the road, and although black flies and mosquitos were increasing in prominance and annoyance, we ventured into the flooded wood a short distance, hoping to see reported Blue-Winged Warblers. Hairy Woodpecker, Chestnut-Sided Warbler, American Tree Sparrow were watched, and just before we were about to move on Mike located a pair of Great Crested Flycatchers ! The pair (not Mike & Elaine) were 'frolicking' around and ambivalent to our presence, and they showed very well. I was impressed by their large size for a flycatcher, and this was one of the best sightings of recent days.

Nearby, Wilson's Track seemed entirely birdless, and only the sound of 'creaking' trees bending in the light wind filled our ears. This area can be extremely fruitful apparently, especially early morning! As we drove slowly along the dirt track, we did find a few good birds - male Indigo Bunting, a pair of Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, and finally a 'silent' Gray-Cheeked Thrush (and no it wasn't dead!).

As we drove the short distance back to Port Rowan, we stopped by a small pool containing 8 American Wigeon and a Cackling Canada Goose with larger Canada's. A 'smart' Eastern Pheobe also popped up from the ponds long-grassed margins and showed well. Its dark brown upperparts were characteristically devoid of any pale wingbars. A pale juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk was also seen nearby, being 'harangued' by 3 Baltimore Oriole's!

We called in at about 7pm, to our lovely pre-booked B & B at Brook Vale, Booth's Harbour, a mere ten minute drive from Long Point and Port Rowan. I would whole-heartedly recommend this birder-friendly B & B. Not only is the en-suite accommodation superb, the daughter and partner also undertake banding in the gardens. At about £70 for a double (about £40 for a single) per night, it is good value. In the gardens we saw House Finches, Baltimore Orioles, Yellow Warblers, Brown-Headed Cowbirds, Chipping Sparrows as well as the first Ruby-Throated Hummingbird of the trip, and we were hardly looking! We popped back out to Port Rowan for a pint and a nice pub meal at the ' Boat House' in Port Rowan, before briefly re-checking Big Creek at 9pm, but we could not find any Rails or Bitterns from the ramp, although 2 White-tailed Deer were distantly seen.

This had been a pleasant day, although we did feel that migration was slowing, this being no fault or slur against Long Point (in comparison to Pelee or Rondeau) of course!

Last edited:
Day Eight 17th May 2008 - LONG POINT.

Today was spent in the LONG POINT birding area. It was fairly windy today, ensuring that passerine birding would be tough going at times.

A Caspian Tern passed Lion Park, Port Rowan, and there was little today of note on the B.S.C. Pond,

So it was back to Old Cut Woods again, and despite considerable efforts we just could not locate either a Hooded or Canada Warbler that had been seen, and even ringed for the last few days (in the case of the Hooded). Once again, we noted the same species as seen at other reserves- Black and White Warbler, Chestnut-Sided Warbler, 3 Magnolia Warblers, American Redstarts, Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, but 'pleasingly' 2 fine Blue-Headed Vireo's (previously lumped under Solitary Vireo) lifted our spirits - well mine anyway! Not that the birding wasn't great anyway!

After an hour here, we crossed the road to the car park and ate our sandwiches. Whilst extracting my urine in a portaloo, I had missed the 'silent' Black-Billed Cuckoo that ocasionally flitted from tall tree to tall tree, but then just 'melted' away! I searched for it in the woods by the car park, flushing an American Woodcock from beneath my feet in the process! I was resigned to not seeing the Cuckoo, but as I 'munched' my sandwich in the back of the car, it suddenly flew directly across my field of view. With its brown upperparts, white underparts, and unique body profile there is nothing else this could have been, although of course I would have liked to have enjoyed binocular views, at least! Beggars can't be choosers though! 2 more Caspian Terns also flew overhead here.

We then drove inland to a little spot recommended for Eastern Meadlowlark....the junction of Eastern Quarter line Road and County Road. We spent time scanning the large arable field here, and eventually I found a female Eastern Meadowlark at some distance, but views of this 'upright' bird were not great in the heat-haze. Also seen here were Horned Lark, Eastern Towhee, Song Sparrow, and a Vesper Sparrow that I only managed to see in flight. White tail sides were distinctive.

We moved on to another recommended spot at St. Williams Track, Backus Woods. This is said to be a 'hotspot' for Hooded Warbler and there are even a few pairs of Prairie Warbler around - but it was birdless for us disappointingly. Wrong time of day again I guess!

B.S.C Pond revealed a 'smart' summer-plummage Short-Billed Dowitcher, and at Big Creek we noted a distant Sandhill Crane in flight.

A final check of Old Cut Woods was not productive especially, and it was time to drive back to London. Birding in the Long Point area had been slower than Pelee and my personal favourate Rondeau, but it had still been enjoyable and productive.

Last edited:
Day Nine - 18th May 2008 - LONDON / KINTORE / TORONTO.

Unfortunately a wet weather front prevented any real birding on my final day, and my flight from Toronto departed at about 9pm.

We decided to drive back to Toronto via country lanes instead of the 401 Highway, as we hoped to find American kestrel, a bird that had surprisingly eluded us, although it is now apparently rare in the State.

Setting off after lunch, we checked out the area around LONDON AIRPORT. Ground Hogs were prominant, and the 'resident' adult male Red-Tailed Hawk was seen.

Close to the village of KINTORE, 2 more adult Red-Tailed Hawks were seen well, and we picked out another pale-race Horned Lark in a field.

And then finally, just as we approached TORONTO AIRPORT I noted an American Kestrel hovering by the runway close to outbuildings by Dixie Drive . Considering we had been looking out for the species all week, it was staggering but fitting that this should be my last 'lifer' of the trip.

It was time to say goodbye to Mike & Elaine (hope to see you again soon!). It had been a fantastic week of birding for me, seeing all my target species including those wonderful warblers and so much else!

Thank you from the heart of my bottom !

SPECIES LIST (In no particular order)

TOTAL 150 SPECIES (including 79 lifers)

Prothonotary Warbler x 1
Cerulean Warbler x 1
Worm-Eating Warbler x 1
Hooded Warbler x 1
Blackburnian Warbler x 5
Northern Parula x 4
Black Throated Blue Warbler x 5
Black Throated Green Warbler x 10
Black and White Warbler x 10
Bay-Breasted Warbler x 5
Chestnut-Sided Warbler x 15
Magnolia Warbler x 10
Cape May Warbler x 6
Blackpoll Warbler x 1
Palm Warbler x 5
Tennesse Warbler x 1
Nashville Warbler x 15
Yellow-Rumped (Myrtle) Warbler x 10
American Redstart x 20
Common Yellowthroat x 15
Yellow Warbler x 50
Yellow Breasted Chat x 1
Northern Waterthrush x 3
Louisiana Waterthrush x 1
Ovenbird x 2
Red-Eyed Vireo x 3
White-Eyed Vireo x 1
Blue-Headed Vireo x 2
Warbling Vireo x 5
Yellow Throated Vireo x 1
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher x 5
Ruby Crowned Kinglet x 20
Ruby Throated Hummingbird x 2
Indigo Bunting x 3
Rose Breasted Grosbeak x 10
Scarlet Tanager x 5
Eastern Kingbird x 10
Bobolink x 15
Pileated Woodpecker x 1
Northern Flicker (yellow shafted) x 3
Red-Bellied Woodpecker x 1
Red-Headed Woodpecker x 6
Downy Woodpecker x 5
Hairy Woodpecker x 5
Northern Cardinal x 15
Eastern Towhee x 3
Black Billed Cuckoo x 1
Great Crested Flycatcher x 2
Least Flycatcher x 5
Eastern Pheobe x 2
Eastern Wood Pawee x 1
Willow Flycatcher x 1
White Breasted Nuthatch x 1
Red Breasted Nuthatch x 10
Eastern Meadowlark x 1
Horned Lark (pale race) x 4
Baltimore Oriole x 150
Bullock's Oriole x 4
Orchard Oriole x 15
American Goldfinch x 20
Black Capped Chickadee x 5
Cedar Waxwing x 10
Gray Catbird x 40
American Pipit x 1
Carolina Wren x 1
Winter Wren x 2
House Wren x 2
Veery x 10
Hermit Thrush x 5
Swainson's Thrush x 1
Gray Cheeked Thrush x 1
Wood Thrush x 5
House Finch x 10
Dark Eyed Junco (slate coloured) x 1
Blue Jay x 20
Mourning Dove x 50
Chimney Swift x 3
Purple Martin x 8
Barn Swallow x 300
Bank Swallow x 100
Tree Swallow x 200
Northern Rough Winged Swallow x 10
White Crowned Sparrow x 30
White Throated Sparrow x 15
Field Sparrow x 1
Vesper Sparrow x 1
Lincoln's Sparrow x 2
American Tree Sparrow x 3
Chipping Sparrow x 20
Song Sparrow x 10
Savannah Sparrow x 4
Swamp Sparrow x 5
House Sparrow x 200
American Robin x 100
Starling x 400
Common Grackle x 1000
Red-Winged Blackbird x 1000
Rusty Blackbird x 4
Brewer's Blackbird x 5
Brown Headed Cowbird x 30
American Crow x 100
American White Pelican x 2
American Black Vulture x 1
Turkey Vulture x 100
Bald Eagle x 1
Red-Tailed Hawk x 6
Cooper's Hawk x 1
Sharp Shinned Hawk x 4
Merlin x 1
American Kestrel x 1
Forster's Tern x 15
Caspian Tern x 3
Black Tern x 2
Common Tern x 5
Great Egret x 15
Great Blue Heron x 15
Green Heron x 3
Sandhill Crane x 1
Wild Turkey x 2
Lady Amherst's Pheasant x 1
Wilson's Phalarope x 2
American Woodcock x 1
Solitary Sandpiper x 1
Least Sandpiper x 10
Spotted Sandpiper x 8
Long Billed Dowitcher x 15
Short Billed Dowitcher x 1
Black-Bellied Plover x 2
Hudsonian Godwit x 1
Lesser Yellowlegs x 8
Semi-Palmated Plover x 5
Dunlin x 250
killdeer x 70
Bufflehead x 1
Ruddy Duck x 15
Scaup x 4
Mallard x 10
American Wigeon x 8
Wood Duck x 4
Gadwall x 2
Common Merganser x 300
Double Crested Cormorant x 50
Mute Swan x 2
Canada Goose x 100
Cackling Canada Goose x 1
Ring Billed Gull x 70
Bonaparte's Gull x 300
American Herring Gull x 10
Glaucous Gull x 2

Last edited:
Great report, brings back memories from May 2007. Similar species total to mine but made up differently as you'd expect

I read your excellent report prior to my departure and again just this morning ironically. Strikingly similar species! Envious of several you achieved however!

As you mentioned, would love to go back and do it all again!

Day Four 13th May 2008 - POINT PELEE
An unexpected bird seen crawling around the undergrowth was a female Lady Amherst's Pheasant with its tiger stripes and orange crown. Locals said they were surprised that this 'escape' had lasted through such a cold winter!
Agree, most likely the bird came from Pelee Island.

Attachments

• Lady-Amherst-BF.jpg
    Lady-Amherst-BF.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back