• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swans shot dead in a field in Somerset (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Eight swans have been found shot dead in what a wildlife rescue group described as "one of the worst incidents" it had ever attended.

They were killed with an airgun and one of the swans must have "suffered terribly" after it was shot three times, said animal charity Secret World.

Read more:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...hot-dead-in-field-15092888.html#ixzz1Ejf1XsiI

Another very sad story about some poor victimised birds. :C

Regards
Kathy
x

Already a thread about this but I would say for everyone to comment on this thread because the other has been taken over by "Hunting" again.

Already a thread about this but I would say for everyone to comment on this thread because the other has been taken over by "Hunting" again.

Hi TBG

Thank you for letting me know. I could not see the thread - was it in this area , or an I having a senior moment LOL :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Technical point: if you look closely 'anti-hunting' took it over. Post #4 put the bait out, and one hunting supporter bit that bait.

There were still one or two other interesting comments worth reading there in relation to causes for the behaviour regarding indifference to suffering, enjoyment of inflicting pain, plus appropriate punishment, rehabilitation, mob justice and dead hookers, so don't be put off visiting. Oh, and the general consensus was that hopefully the criminals will be punished.

Last edited:
It is this one.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=193069

but if you see its gone a bit off topic with the usual suspects involved.

hi TBG

I see that the thread is a little off the main discussion at the moment :gh:

Another door opens here....

I have to say I cannot get my head around this act of cruelty that is going on in this article :C:C:C

We have had a few incidents of Swans deaths in Bedford over the years... including the deaths of 30 Swan deaths from a few years ago. Yes, there was a very long thread that appeared on here about the whole issue. The guilty party was never found to this day.

The more recent one was a man who killed a Swan in broad daylight in front to a busy street full of people - and he was arrested there and then.

To me this incident smells of kids, air-guns in the wrong hands, and boredom setting in do they decided to do something really constructive and mistreat Swans instead for a little sport :C

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
If the people responsible for this are "KIDS" then they are taking a great risk by using air rifles on properety that they have no permission to shoot on. Once you start using air rifles in this way they become subject to the firearms law of this country. You could be sent to prison and fined £5000.

I have spent most of my life around air rifles, and my late Father taught me to shoot from the age of 8 (now 50), he was a marksman in the army. I still like to shoot air rifles and only do so for competitions, so nothing that lives get harmed by me.

It is illegal to own an air rifle unless you are 14 years old and always have a adult with you when shooting it, otherwise it's 17.

These "KIDS" should join a proper regulated ( and if possible, a BFTA, British Field Target Association) club and take their aggressions out on targets and not defenceless creatures such as these.

We hear about it all the time....animals being shot with air rifles and crossbows.

I think the law needs to be tightened and the ownership of air rifles should be subject to a minimum age of 18 and licensed, similar to a firearms license.

Neil.

Technical point: if you look closely 'anti-hunting' took it over. Post #4 put the bait out, and one hunting supporter bit that bait.

Thanks for pointing that out, i usually get the blame every time the subject comes up but as in this case its almost always in reply to other comments but somehow no one ever seems to blame them, though admittidly I should probably learn not to rise to the bait and just let them get on with it.

Adam & Kev, I did not say that the Hunters took over the thread but the thread was again over run by the topic of 'Hunting'. Anti or otherwise.

Hi there

Some more news about the Swans

An older link:

VERY GRAPHIC CONTENT!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359548/Hunt-way-swans-shot-dead.html

Up to date link:

http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/swans_found_shot_dead_in_field_1_2438006

I really hope that they get the culprits :C

Regards
Kathy
x

What will happen even if they do? Wildlife crimes hardly get any justice as it is, what if the culprit was underage? I would say a 'warning' would be given

Adam & Kev, I did not say that the Hunters took over the thread but the thread was again over run by the topic of 'Hunting'. Anti or otherwise.

Fair point but i think especially the comment of 'the usual suspects' I felt and it seems Kev felt as well was aimed at me apologies if that was not the case.

How upsetting to read such a sad story, there are some cruel people about. Anyone can own a air rifle and they are such dangerous weapons in the wrong hands, occasionally children have been killed. Swans have started the nesting seasons as they are very early. Someone will know who did it, lets hope the police get them.

Some more news about this story and it appears an award is offered for any information about the Swans demise now.

The locals are enraged and bless them for taking a stance as they have done so to collect money for the reward.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12599533

Hope this stirs up some emotions in people to come forward and tell the Police who the person is that is responsible for this sick act

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Headline story on West Country Tonight - on now (6pm) ...

Edit: the gist of which was that a further 9 swans were found nearby by their camera crew when they went to film for the story this afternoon .. making it about 18 swans killed. Also the outrage shown by the local people/their viewers that something like this can happen in a supposedly civilised society ...

Last edited:
Headline story on West Country Tonight - on now (6pm) ...

Edit: the gist of which was that a further 9 swans were found nearby by their camera crew when they went to film for the story this afternoon .. making it about 18 swans killed. Also the outrage shown by the local people/their viewers that something like this can happen in a supposedly civilised society ...

Hi Dantheman

I have just heard there are more killings, and you have mentioned it here to

Here is the news link

http://www.itv.com/westcountry-east/eight-swans-shot-dead00925/

There is a loony on the loose now - and I really hope he is caught. :C

Regards
Kathy
x

Heard it on my Radio today, disgusting that this sick individual is continuing in his lonesome fantasy. He needs to be found fast!

Heard it on my Radio today, disgusting that this sick individual is continuing in his lonesome fantasy. He needs to be found fast!

Hi TBG

So agree there is some nutter on the loose

I see that Terry Pratchett the author has added another £10,000 to the award money

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12623183

Bless him, as the money will be a tidy sum for someone to give the culprit away to the Police.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back