• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8.5 x. 42 Model Numbers (1 Viewer)

leeb

United States
Does anyone know the difference between number 34208 and 37008 for these binoculars and is it a material difference?

Thank you for your help.

info about serial numbers and production time line.

John Robert’s will know. This does not appear to be the serial number. Rather seems more like the UPC number, whatever that is, according to my box. Maybe model number? My EL1042 has 34210 as part of that. As it’s a short focus, late field pro, might we guess your 34208 is an 8.5, short focus, late FP also. 342 common between these two, maybe describes short focus, late FP. Then continuing to guess 37008, maybe designates the later/current longer focus, FP 8.5?

Last edited:
Hi leeb,

A couple of months ago the same question was asked about the change to the model numbering of the 10x42 version:

Hi Bruce,

Well spotted!

So others can understand what you’re talking about . . .

Swarovski uses various forms of standard scannable numbering for stock management purposes.
On the box labels, there is both an EAN (European Article Number) and a UPC (Universal Product Code).
See a break down of the components in post #15 at: Which model is more advanced?

The [model number] comprises a portion of the UPC:

View attachment 1505679

. . . So the change occurred sometime in 2021
(for an explanation of the components in the current serial numbering, see the latest post in the link below).

- - - -
The [model number] didn't change with the introduction of the Legend version of the x42 EL SV’s in 2020.
For the 10x42 labels see post #7 at: Swarovski serialnumbers changed

So as to what the new [number] indicates 🤷‍♂️
. . .

Unfortunately, since then nothing more has become known.

John

Last edited:
Does anyone know the difference between number 34208 and 37008 for these binoculars and is it a material difference?

Thank you for your help.

I just purchased an 8.5x42 model number 34208 (like new demo). It does have the close focus of earlier models.
According to specs, the 37008 model has the longer close focus and is the latest model widely available.

The 8.5x42 I recently bought (34208) has the close focus and is remarkably similar to my 11-year old SV. It was a demo in perfect condition and more demos are available if anyone is interested. They also have 10’s in 42 and 50mm. The 10x50 is priced 100 bucks less than what I paid in 2014! A 12x50 is also listed as available.
I’m not plugging this retailer but they delivered one day after I ordered and responded to questions in a timely fashion.
PM for details…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back