• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swinhoe's Snipe or Pin-tailed Snipe, Jiangsu province, East of China (1 Viewer)

deanman

Please ID the Snipe, Swinhoe's or Pin-tailed? Think the flying one is pin-tailed snipe, but not sure the one on ground is Swinhoe's or Pin-tailed. Anyone have the way to ID? Tks.

Attachments

• P8270876-1s.jpg
    P8270876-1s.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 45
  • P8270574-1-s.jpg
    P8270574-1-s.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 46
I have heard people calling those "Swintailed Snipes" for brevity - and as a white flag. As far as I know, they can't be reliably IDed.

I have heard people calling those "Swintailed Snipes" for brevity - and as a white flag. As far as I know, they can't be reliably IDed.
Not so Jan. It is true most individual characters overlap, but a good view of the spread tail (taking particular note of the shape of the outer pairs of feathers) should be enough to confirm specific ID, preferably, supported by photographic evidence.

Since there is no view of the spread tail both birds must be assigned to 'Swintail' Snipe.

Essential reading-
https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V96/V96_N04/V96_N04_P178_198_A002.pdf

Pin-tailed/Swinhoe’s/Common Snipe

Grahame

Yes not identifiable, although I was struck by the paleness of the initial image---which is consistent with pin-tailed afaik

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back