• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2023 (1 Viewer)

Well Done Mike,
Out with friends tomorrow and hope to see something of note.
Weather is quite poor..wet, overcast,and cold.
Several Wallcreepers reported at lower levels and Great Bitterns showing well at Klingnauerse.
Just get out there!

Bird of the day…White headed Long tailed tit (ssp caudatus).

Expect a bad winter!

Forecast to be 32-38 for the next two months … not so many Long-tailed Tits about however 😎

In all seriousness my partner is grumbling quite a bit about the weather already. I have a more flexible schedule than she does (we moved here for her corporate job, I got out of the corporate world previously in life). So I have a tendency to take a month long layover in Brazil on the way to Argentina for the holidays and I think she is a bit less happy with the weather she’s been left to this year 😢 But we’ll see each other soon enough in Buenos Aires she just has a couple more weeks to hold out.

My first trip out since returning from Mallorca…6C this morning with forcast of rain and gusty winds.
Decided to go locally to Nuglar and Augst.
However the weather was not so bad…even blue skies and temperatures up to 10C.
Great to see the Eagle owl surviving the bad weather and the Wallcreeper showed well fliting from wall to wall, at Nuglar.
At least 4 Kingfishers seen at Augst, despite the highwater levels due to the recent rainfall.
Some 35 Species seen or heard.
Its worth getting out there!

Attachments

• IMG_7357.jpeg
    IMG_7357.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7344.jpeg
    IMG_7344.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 13
Quiet over last few wet and cold days. Recent reports included:
  • Common Diver at Zurich region
  • Stone Curlew at Bern region
  • Moustached Warbler at Vaud Region
  • Golden Plover and Citrine Wagail at Krummi
weather looks better tomorrow…get out there!

My bird of the day was the Redwing. Another announcer of Winter.
Many reports today of their Sightings, including by myself at Klingnauerse.
Water levels were high,however levels at Klingnauersee had been carefully controlled. No rain today..phew!
Some 50 species seen or heard including Great White Egret, Little Egret, Dipper,Kingfishers, Flocks of Siskins, Hawfinch and Reed buntings.
Failed to see Great Bittern, but two were reported earlier in the day.
Elsewhere, Pomarine Jaeger and Pied Avocets reported at Lake Geneva and Lake Constance resp.
Looking forward to tomorrows reports….Get out there!

Attachments

• IMG_7377.jpeg
    IMG_7377.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7372.jpeg
    IMG_7372.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7369.jpeg
    IMG_7369.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7370.jpeg
    IMG_7370.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7378.jpeg
    IMG_7378.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7381.jpeg
    IMG_7381.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 2
Interetsing find in Domat Ems…15 Northern Bald Ibis!
Obviously escapees, however how can you lose 15!
One ringed with number 676…anybody want to claim them!
Not really escapes but part of the reintroduction project, at least two are satellite tagged so I can read their details, they are 2nd year birds born in the wild that are too young to breed. So they spent their summer in Italy and Austria d and arrived in Switzerland at end August((Valais canton). They have wandered the country since, and we’re up by Lake Constance for a while, they seem to be slowly heading south now.
Early this morning I found the Spotted Sandpiper still present in Geneva plus a Turnstone and a cracking young female Goshawk there too.

Down to earth now…local wood walk on cold wintery day near Basel.
Ususal forest birds seen but several Red Kites still around.
I was thinking what are the percentage of Red Kites that stay in Switzerland the whole year…

1700663849785.png
I am sure Richard has the answer

In addition Sempach talks about 2'800 to 3'500 breeding pairs, which is about 10% of the world's population. There are roosts that are controlled.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back