• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tangara gyrola catharinae (Hellmayr, 1911) (1 Viewer)

Considering that (1) 'k' didn't exist in classical Latin and is usually rendered as 'c' in latinized words, and (2) the origin of Catherine is Greek καθαρός (katharos), pure, with an 'a' in the second syllable of the original stem, Catharina seems to be a quite reasonable latinized form, that could be used for any variant of the name.
I wouldn't regard the use of catharinae as being necessarily indicative of the actual spelling of the name of the dedicatee.

Here some other (minor) pieces in this puzzle ... (mostly for our crew of keen genealogists)

🧩

The name of Carl Eduard Hellmayr's Father seems to have been "Karl Hellmayr", at least according to:
Pfeifer R. 1997. Carl Eduard Hellmayr (1878–1944) – der Begründer des „Anzeigers der Ornithologischen Gesellschaft in Bayern“. Ornithologischer Anzeiger 36: pp. 203–206, here (all in German).

Hopefully of some use, in trying to trace the very end of his Wife "Kate" Hellmayr (whose original given name seems to have been Katharina, allegedly born in 1881).

A marriage certificate/record/notice between Miss/Fräulein Hascher (alt. Haecher, or even Häscher), and "our" guy C. E. Hellmayr, clearly linking the Couple, would (most certainly) be welcomed.

Good luck connecting them.

And, note, that (according to Paul's post #19) that her Mother's (very German) name "Käthe" is fairly similar to (the English-ringing/sounding) "Kate". :unsure:

Take it for what it's worth (just some observations) ...

/B

PS. Mr Hellmay himself was earlier dealth with (way back, in May 2014) in the thread What did Carl Hellmayr do to deserve "his" pipit? (here)

Last edited:
And, note, that (according to Paul's post #19) that her Mother's (very German) name "Käthe" is fairly similar to (the English-ringing/sounding) "Kate". :unsure:
The mother is "Käthe Hascher" in Paul's first attached record. In the second one, she is "M. Hascher". Is one of these known to be correct ?

Re. the M. (Mother ?) H...

I read the first attached document (in Paul's post #19) as:

"mother: Käthe Haecher
...ünchen, ndebergplatz, 9"

See the attached (enlarged) excerpt below:

Excerpt 1.jpg

... though, the second one (somewhat more clearly) says:

"Mother in law-M.Hascher-
Pundterplatz 9-Munich-Bavière"

Excerpt 2.jpg

Far, far from consistent ... :unsure:

Re. the second document, hopefully Paul can explain what the different numbers (1 and 2) tells us (as well as, what the boxes stands for, with; "Ill", and "Chicago"). Maybe also why "Käthe" (alt. how we know that she, truly) ended up "on the wrong line" (in the first document) ... ?

While we wait for those pieces; stay safe!

/B

Last edited:
The letter a and the letter s are right next to each other on typewriters. My cousins the Sommers were given this name at Ellis island because the immigration clerk could not understand the name that was given Fitzsimmons. There was and still is a tremendous pressure on immigrants to anglicize names. The declaration of Kate was tied at least tangentially into the right to work and Carl was cashing checks from the Field museum as Charles E. Hellmayr.

"Mother in law-M.Hascher-
Pundterplatz 9-Munich-Bavière"
I assume #1 in this record was Carl Eduard (and she was his mother in law), #2 was Katharina (and she was her mother) ?
I find it hard to be sure about her surname on the first record -- I think is could well have been "Hascher" there as well. The name of the Platz, however, is clearly not the same, indeed.

"Kate" on the immigration form was evidently anglicized (but suggests she may have used "Käthe" in German), "catharinae" in the OD was probably latinized. Paul's first record is the only document I have seen with what appears to have been intended as her given German name on it -- in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I think I'd accept the name as it was written there ("Katharina").

Paul's first record is the only document I have seen with what appears to have been intended as her given German name on it -- in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I think I'd accept the name as it was written there ("Katharina").
I agree, Laurent, but still Mr Hellmayr himself called this/"her" bird: CATHARINA'S GREEN TANAGER.

In my view it carry some weight (alt. to me, pretty convincing) ...

We'll see if any evidence will surface, hopefully (clearly) pointing in favour of either version.

Fingers crossed ...

Last edited:
For what it's worth; in The Birds of the Republic of Colombia (1951), in Caldasia 5 (No. 25), by the Swiss (alt. Swiss/US) ornithologist Rodolphe Meyer de Schauensee this Bird is/was also called: "CATHARINAS GREEN TANAGER" (here alt. here, on p.1034).

Ditto in Nørgaard-Olesen's book Tanagers (here, from 1973), as well as, in Taxonomy of the birds of the world: The complete checklist of all bird species and subspecies of the World (2018), where it's called as "Catharina's Bay-headed Tanager" (here), alt. in the German version Taxonomie aller Vögel der Welt - Band I: Die komplette Checkliste aller Vogelarten und Unterarten der Welt (here, also from 2018): "Catharina's Grüntangare" (ditto in the 2021 Edition; "Update 2020", here).

Probably (all) simply echoing Hellmayr himself, and his/the US/English vernacular name from 1936.

Maybe for a reason? Or not?

Who knows?

:unsure:

/B

Actually her name was Katharina Josepha Hascher,. They married at 31. Oct. 1908 in Munich. Father was Hermann Hascher mother Katharina née Lorenz. (see attached). Unfortunately still no death date.

Attachments

• Hellmayr.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back