• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tawny owl (1 Viewer)

mc_twitch

i was driving past the entrance to whitacre heath in warwickshire and noticed a tawny owl sitting on a post basking in the sun. I managed to get some photgraphs of him witch i have attached. I managed to walk within 10 feet of him without him even looking bothered before driving off and leaving him sitting there. Ive spent hours lookin for this species in the dark before for my year list and then all of a sudden was presented with this perfect view in daylight!!

Attachments

• owl2.jpg
    owl2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 246
  • tawny owl.jpg
    tawny owl.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 218
A smashing site and lovely photos.

I've had close ups of Tawny Owls during the daylight on two occations. Both times they moved on, but not in any particular hurry, and stayed within sight (if distant). Perhaps as nocturnal species they just haven't learned to be that scared of us.

Also, whitacre heath is a lovely reserve. I watched kingfishers there at close quarters last year.

mc_twitch said:
i was driving past the entrance to whitacre heath in warwickshire and noticed a tawny owl sitting on a post basking in the sun. I managed to get some photgraphs of him witch i have attached. I managed to walk within 10 feet of him without him even looking bothered before driving off and leaving him sitting there. Ive spent hours lookin for this species in the dark before for my year list and then all of a sudden was presented with this perfect view in daylight!!

Great photos - looks a bit like 'morning after the night before' for the owl!

I love Tawny Owls. especially that expression they have with their eyes shut. It's almost a 'If I can't see them they can't see me' look.

This is going to sound dumb, but you cant see me so i cant get a pizza, and i'm going to ask it anyway-

whats the best way to see an owl?
I live in pocklington, east yorkshire and and know all 5 types live here. I've heard them from my flat in town too.

Can anyone recommend a strategy?

gloriav said:
This is going to sound dumb, but you cant see me so i cant get a pizza, and i'm going to ask it anyway-

whats the best way to see an owl?
I live in pocklington, east yorkshire and and know all 5 types live here. I've heard them from my flat in town too.

Can anyone recommend a strategy?

Find somewhere that supports their prey (ie mice, voles,etc) ideally pasture near water with plenty of large trees around and sit close to an open tree branch (10- 15 feet) then call for them. Any time after 7.30pm upto 4/5am next morning If you hear a tawny call keep returning his call and eventually the owl will land somewhere conveniently close to you to check out the intruder in his territory.
I woulod advise you to wear glasses or goggles its extremly unlikely to attack unless you are close to a nest but several people have lost eyes to owls including a notable author. Remember in the animal kingdom if you stare at an animal you are challenging it and a potential predator!

If you have no luck come down to Somerset some time. There are Tawny owls in my garden almost every night this time of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back