• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taxidermy Bird identification (1 Viewer)

confused_artist

United States
I'm doing an art project and I need to know what bird is in the taxidermy so I can get more information on it. I also don't trust my Google lens accuracy, because none of the birds that show up look exactly like the one taxidermied.
1000025523.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240308_194508091.jpg
    PXL_20240308_194508091.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Welcome to BF.
Calling it a kestrel would be safe - and quite likely female or immature common/Eurasian kestrel - but I wouldn't happily rule out a few other kestrel species, given that we have no idea where this one used to be flying around. Though it's not an American kestrel - they're different.
I also don't trust my Google lens accuracy
Wise. Though the real reason that it won't look like any pictures you find of it is that it's so badly...
taxidermied
...or 'stuffed', as we often say.

Hi confused_artist and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Sometimes taxidermy can alter the way a subject actually looks, so it's probably not wise to take too much notice of that I suspect.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BF.
Calling it a kestrel would be safe - and quite likely female or immature common/Eurasian kestrel - but I wouldn't happily rule out a few other kestrel species, given that we have no idea where this one used to be flying around. Though it's not an American kestrel - they're different.

Wise. Though the real reason that it won't look like any pictures you find of it is that it's so badly...

...or 'stuffed', as we often say.
I looked it up and I think you're right, it seems to be a female common kestrel, it matches perfectly. Thank you so much!

it seems to be a female common kestrel, it matches perfectly
Identifying things to species doesn't work quite like that... Even more important than finding a species that 'matches perfectly' is determining that there is no other species that makes just as good a, or an even more perfect, match. Which is why I said it's...
quite likely female or immature common/Eurasian kestrel - but I wouldn't happily rule out a few other kestrel species
And that...
Calling it [just] a kestrel would be safe
However, as this is art, you're free to call it whatever you like 🥳👍🏻

I agree with Butty. I presume this poorly prepared specimen is from a US museum or collection, and could be one of several similar-looking kestrels. Again I ask, what does the label reveal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back