• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tc-20e Iii (3 Viewers)

Astrokev

For the price, I assume the new version III TC is a significant improvement over the version II model. Has anyone tried this new TC? I'm struggling to find any reviews. Does anyone know if there are any?

Many thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
I4ani pointed to one on Nikongear.com used on a 300/2.8vr the example posted look very good indeed, it was under forums and lenses

I4ani pointed to one on Nikongear.com used on a 300/2.8vr the example posted look very good indeed, it was under forums and lenses

Thanks Steve, though I've since discovered on the Nikon site that it doesn't AF when coupled with the 300f4 AF-S. Not sure £400+ can really be justified without AF!

Looks like I'll have to plump for the 1.4 which many say is a good combo with the f4.

kevin

Kev, its a cracking TC with that lens, I have that combo and its superb, if the lights okay it'll work with a 1.7 as well but not as seamlessly

The 1.7TC doesn't AF particularly quickly with my 500mmf4 so I guess it will be even slower with the 2.0TC 111 but I think it will still AF. If it's a static bird in decent light ( I always try for f8 anyway) there will be occasions when it is far better to have a 300mm = 600mm lens than a 300mm= 400mm lens. Even at £1500 that looks a better buy than many for that reach if the IQ is as good as the pre launch advertising is claiming.
I'm looking forward to reading a few reviews about this new addition to the Nikon portfolio !

Have seen a few images and tests on dpreview and the performance is quite a bit better than the old one.
http://nikonrumors.com/ are also suggesting that there may be new versions of the 1.4 and 1.7 on the way too.
Have the latter myself, and wont be upgrading that, but there are times I could do with a 1.4 (and the 2x looks very tempting too for just that extra bit of reach).

I use the 1.4 TC much more than the 1.7TC because the performance is so good. I would recommend it highly and can't see the need for a new model ! Nikon might see this as the opportunity to bump the prices on TC's by bringing new improved versions out. The 2.0TC needed improving I wouldn't bother upgrading my other two though.

likewise, nowt wrong with the 1.4 or 1.7. Mind you looking at the noise examples on the D3s and I may be tempted to save for that, its superb at very silly ISO's, would def be a help in the UK at this time of year

Kevin,
I have one on order with the D3s. I should have it next week ( the 2x has already arrived ) . I'll post some tests as soon as I get it. I'll mainly be using it with the 300/2.8 AFS.
Neil.

I'm interested in how the new TC20E III will work out, but I think it would be useful only in limited circumstances on a 300 f/4. Nikon is pretty conservative about AF performance claims with TC's-- my guess is that it will autofocus OK in bright light, and it's going to take bright conditions for it to be viable, at low ISO's. The high ISO perfomance of the D3s would change the situation, however.

If you put a TC20E III on a 300 f/4, you're going to need a pretty solid tripod, also.

Jim

I don't know anything about the TC 20 E III but here are some links I came across.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=34333945
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=34317208

I hope this helps.

The first link shows all shots taken with the TC20EIII, so nothing to compare with. They are also taken in the rain which wont help for detail comparisons.
For the second link unless I am mistaken the TC is stuck on a 600 lens, which is probably the focal length most would be looking for with this convertor on.
I imagine its quite hard to accurately capture the difference between the two 20 TCs for test shots, I wonder if Nikon have released any detail on where users should expect to see noticable improvements, or some sample evidence of this? I couldnt find much from a quick search...

Thanks Steve, though I've since discovered on the Nikon site that it doesn't AF when coupled with the 300f4 AF-S. Not sure £400+ can really be justified without AF!

Looks like I'll have to plump for the 1.4 which many say is a good combo with the f4.

kevin

Don't believe everything that Nikon tell you, they said that about the previous 2 versions of the TC20E and they both autofocussed fine, albeit slower than my TC14E. I can't see any reason why the latest version shouldn't autofocus also.

nirofo.

I picked up the TC111 today. Did a quick test in my loungeroom on the 300/2.8 AFS VR and AF seemed ok. Will test out in the field tomorrow. Neil.

I'd love to know how it performs on your 500mmf4 too Neil.

I've got my fingers crossed on that too. I was able to get reasonable AF with the 1.7x on the 500 mm (even flight shots )so I'm hopeful, although 1000 mm is a bit much for the garden where I'm photographing at the moment. I'll test it out before I take it out to the wetlands on Monday. Neil

Had a quick trip out to the garden hide this morning on the best weather day we've had for ages. This meant though that we had the sun in our faces for the first hour or so.
Used the 2x TC 111 on the 300/2.8 AFS VR. Focus seemed fine although a little slower than with the 1.4x. Here are some of the images from this morning. The second Redstart crop is from the first image.
I'll test on the 500/4 AFS VR tomorrow.
Neil

Nikon D3 plus Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and 2x TC 111

Hong Kong,
China.
January 2010

Attachments

• daurian redstart fem 2x orig_DSC3109_1 copy.jpg
    daurian redstart fem 2x orig_DSC3109_1 copy.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 309
  • daurian redstart fem 2x crop c_DSC3109_1.jpg
    daurian redstart fem 2x crop c_DSC3109_1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 369
  • rw bulbul 2x_DSC3090_1.jpg
    rw bulbul 2x_DSC3090_1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 294
  • blue whistling thrush 2x_DSC3076_1.jpg
    blue whistling thrush 2x_DSC3076_1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 297
looks very acceptable, mind you the noise management of the D3 may help a tad, do you have a D300 that you could try with it (especially with the 500/4)
Look forward to some more examples

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back