• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teal ?(UK) (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Fairly sure this is a Teal but can someone please confirm

Attachments

• teal 01PN lab.jpg
    teal 01PN lab.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 116
Not a Teal (that would have an orange base to the bill and stripe through eye for a start). Looks like a female Pintail to me.
Mick

Thanks guys, I am mostly always wrong which is why I post on here. What put me off was the flash of green as shown in this un-edited pic

Attachments

• pintail.jpg
    pintail.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Yes, one female-type (Northern) Pintail and one female-type (Common/Eurasian) Teal. As well as size/build (Pintail is a much "longer" bird) note the difference in speculum colour (green in the Teal, bronze/brown in the Pintail).

Mixed flocks (or odd individuals of one species going along with a flock of another) are common in ducks.

Yes, one female-type (Northern) Pintail and one female-type (Common/Eurasian) Teal. As well as size/build (Pintail is a much "longer" bird) note the difference in speculum colour (green in the Teal, bronze/brown in the Pintail).

Mixed flocks (or odd individuals of one species going along with a flock of another) are common in ducks.
Thanks Steve, I guess I just saw the bird with the green flash and called them all Teal.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back