• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife Birding Report 5th-12 September 2022 (1 Viewer)

B Whyte

Scotland
Hello fellow birders. I'm just back from a tremendous weeks holiday in Tenerife in which I managed to get in a solid amount of birding whilst balancing time for the usual holiday stuff with my good lady wife.

Below is some of the birding highlights.

Birding Day 1-The first ticks were at breakfast round the pool of the hotel where the sound of the Canary Islands Chiffchaff greeted me before giving itself up to view. It wasn't long before a couple of African Blue Tit then appeared followed by a excellent number of Plain Swift barrelling around over the palms and complex buildings.

A walk down to the marina in Costa Adeje produced a couple of bigger with noticeable white throat patches Pallid Swift overhead. Luckily I managed some half decent pics for the ID clincher. A great start with 4 lifers around the hotel.

Birding Day 2-We hired a car and not a very good one it turned out for the incredibly challenging drive up to the famous Las Lajas picnic spot teetering on the side of a great big bloody volcano! The conditions were perfect but it seemed very quiet. We wandered around until an unfamiliar song caught our ear and then right above us was the stunning prize we had come for, the Blue Chaffinch.

After a little more scanning I spied a watering hole at the foot of a pine tree and around it were 4 Atlantic Canary. Beautiful looking resplendent Yellows and Grey tones in the mid day sunshine.

Off we went back down the side of Mount Teide and then swung up to the north for a stop at another iconic spot Barranco de Ruiz observing the gorge from the recreation area and bridge just off the main road. I had a very decent 14 sp. here with Laurel Pigeon almost immediately seen as it flew past at eye level. The white tail stood out well. Unfortunately no Bolles Pigeon and this would remain unticked. 3 Peregrine (Barbary) Falcon soaring around high on the cliff face, Kestrel, Buzzard, Sardinian Warbler, C.I.Chiffchaff, African Blue Tit, Atlantic Canary and Robin also of note here.

Birding Day 3-Was all about the Golf Courses. The lush greenery and fresh water pools were a welcome sight and the birds did not disappoint. Firstly the large pool at Golf del Sur gave up a nice mix of Black-crowned Night Heron (juve) and a lovely Cattle Egret. 2 Common Sandpipers were on the rocks with Grey Wagtail, Moorhen and Ruddy Shelduck. A singing Blackcap in the bushes nearby.

Amarilla golf course is a 5 min drive from Golf del Sur. After parking up we walked along the path south through the course scoring a Berthelot's Pipit flitting between the rocks alongside us. We then seen another and another. 5 in total. In some scrub land off to the side of the course a couple of Barbary Partridge were quickly waddling away from us as we approached but not before giving another life tick. 4 Whimbrel, 2 Hoopoe, Plain Swift galore, couple of hunting Kestrel and more CI Chiffs noted.

A rather aimlessly enjoyable drive took us to a headland called Punta de Abona further up the eastern coast. There is a rough track out to the lighthouse where I spent a bit of time scanning the sea with the bins. I was delighted to see that the excellent number of Cory's Shearwaters were passing in relatively close to clinch another life tick. In the village at the start of the rough track I was watching a couple Bert's Pips when a Great Grey Shrike swooped in and took a lizard in the village square. Wow that was a wonderful surprise and quite a sight. It must have been perched unseen nearby.

Birding Day 4-We sailed out on a catamaran for a whale and dolphin watching tour but my main focus was of course the seabirds. The Corys were passing by and resting on the sea in huge numbers. I easily estimated around 200 from the boat in the couple of hours we were out there. Unfortunaly no other Shearwater or Petrel sp. at all just more Yellow-legged Gull and a single LBBG.

Birding Day 5-I spent the last available opportunity to head back around the golf courses and pools and I am glad I did because literally right at the last moment on the island I got another life target tick with Spectacled Warbler. After putting in some hard yards in the blazing heat trying to see one it felt like it wasn't going to happen with very little about around the scrub land to the west Amarilla golf course until my fortunes changed first with stunning views of a perched Great Grey Shrike followed a little while later by a faint warbler song on the breeze. Kind of like a Sedgy and then a rattling “churrrr” alarm call. I knew my target was close. I scanned and scanned furiously in the vicinity but there was only bare branches. Where is it!?? Then a bird flew in between some trees and perched. Bins on it. It was another CI Chiff argh! But then out of nowhere the bespectalced one appears and chases off the CI Chiff and perches nicely for ID confirmation and to round off a terrific birding experience.

All in all 11 lifers were had in some spectacular and unforgettable surroundings. A place I would recommend to any birder. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0289.JPG
    DSC_0289.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0274.JPG
    DSC_0274.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0149.JPG
    DSC_0149.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0243.JPG
    DSC_0243.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    647.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0314.JPG
    DSC_0314.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0247.JPG
    DSC_0247.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Nice report, somewhat mirrors my experience earlier this year.

I had the same problem with Bolle’s, just eventually obtaining poor views of 2 birds. Laurel much easier these days. Tho having said that, some more difficult-to-reach/locate spots are apparently easier for Bolle’s.

Last edited:
Nice report, somewhat mirrors my experience earlier this year.

I had the same problem with Bolle’s, just eventually obtaining poor views of 2 birds. Laurel much easier these days. Tho having said that, some more difficult-to-reach spots are apparently easier for Bolle’s.
Yeah ideally after dipping at Barranco de Ruiz i would have made a stop at Erjos and walked up the trail there for them but we were so frazzled from the driving by that point in the day we just wanted to get back to the hotel for a well earned beer and chill out. I was delighted to get the Laurel though a lovely bird.

Yeah ideally after dipping at Barranco de Ruiz i would have made a stop at Erjos and walked up the trail there for them but we were so frazzled from the driving by that point in the day we just wanted to get back to the hotel for a well earned beer and chill out. I was delighted to get the Laurel though a lovely bird.
Yeah I went to Erjos but didn’t walk far enough.

Agree, nice birds are laurels

Yeah I went to Erjos but didn’t walk far enough.

Agree, nice birds are laurels
If walk further, they seem to be very common at this locality, but still not particularly easy to see as the woodland is closed canopy and, for the most part, you are within the woodland, not overlooking it.

If walk further, they seem to be very common at this locality, but still not particularly easy to see as the woodland is closed canopy and, for the most part, you are within the woodland, not overlooking it.
When I was there last in 2019 we walked up the track from the parking area near the barrier at Erjos (Monte del Agua). After about half a kilometre, where the track swings hard left there used to be a path (not very easy to see) to an outcrop that puts you above the canopy about 20 metres in. This path has now been replaced by a fenced boardwalk to a small wooden viewpoint. We had views of quite a few Bolles in flight there as they suddenly appeared from our right, swept low over our heads close enough to hear their wings and vanished around the corner to our left annoyingly too quickly every time for me to get my camera to bear. We heard, but didn't see a lot more as they took off unseen in the trees as we walked the track. (Photo of the forest from the viewpoint attached)

Attachments

• 231-Monte-del-Agua,-Erjos-fbook.jpg
    231-Monte-del-Agua,-Erjos-fbook.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
When I was there last in 2019 we walked up the track from the parking area near the barrier at Erjos (Monte del Agua). After about half a kilometre, where the track swings hard left there used to be a path (not very easy to see) to an outcrop that puts you above the canopy about 20 metres in. This path has now been replaced by a fenced boardwalk to a small wooden viewpoint. We had views of quite a few Bolles in flight there as they suddenly appeared from our right, swept low over our heads close enough to hear their wings and vanished around the corner to our left annoyingly too quickly every time for me to get my camera to bear. We heard, but didn't see a lot more as they took off unseen in the trees as we walked the track. (Photo of the forest from the viewpoint attached)
Mirror of my experience last year 👍 Somewhere further along, there was a sizeable flock but, as with you, just heard most as they flew off.

Great report and photos. Much better views of the partridge than I managed. I found it a very nice place to watch wildlife with a lot of cool species available without too much effort expended although I think I’d try to take in the botanic gardens if I went again for more butterflies

Great report and photos. Much better views of the partridge than I managed. I found it a very nice place to watch wildlife with a lot of cool species available without too much effort expended although I think I’d try to take in the botanic gardens if I went again for more butterflies
thanks pal much appreciated. Yeah i got lucky with the partridge the only other views i had were them flying off to cover. Agree it was a stunning landscape and very enjoyable place to hunt for birds. Much different to the lush greenery of home.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back