• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED (1 Viewer)

If you read the manual it says universal mounting adapter in English (Binofix) but in three other languages it says this:
Im objektivseitigen Ende der Brücke befindet sich ein Gewinde zur Befestigung eines Stativadapters.
Le pas de vis situé à l´extrémité avant de l´axe central (côté objectif) permet de fixer un adaptateur trépied.
En el lado del objetivo del puente del eje central se encuentra la rosca para la fijación del trípode.

TERRA Tripod Adapter

The front hinge cover will unscrew, it is not press fit, etc. Apply some pressure with your thumb, etc. and it will unscrew counter clockwise realing the threads in the hinge.

Last edited:
The front hinge cover will unscrew, it is not press fit, etc. Apply some pressure with your thumb, etc. and it will unscrew counter clockwise realing the threads in the hinge.

Yours will. Mine won't and I don't believe mine was designed to be removed. It is too small and in too tight a location to do this without some kind of special tool. Does yours have the Zeiss "Z" logo on it?

Meanwhile I noticed that Eagle Optics has 30 5 Star Reviews of the 8x30 Terra ED and they are currently out of stock there. This is a pretty good indication that they have been very favorably accepted by the buying public. Eagle Optics probably sold many more than 30 of them to get 30 5 star reviews.

Bob

Hello Zeiss fans,

I just picked up a new pair of 10x42 EDs.............

A really big suggestion would be to include a standard case instead of the felt pouch.

On that note, can someone tell me which Zeiss case to purchase? I'm looking at the Cordura case that comes with the Victory series? Model 12 85 644.

Update: NVM, I just read a user review of this case on B&H and it says this case fits the Terra ED models perfectly.

Cheers,
-Nick

Actually, the Terra case number is 2070548 and is smaller than the 1285644 case which appears to be from the 42mm FL Victory series.

The larger 1285644 appears to be the same case that comes with Victory HT series except that the HT version has a leather like top cover. Either the 42mm HT or FL case also works with the new Zeiss Victory SF.

Here is a photo of the Terra case and the FL case compared........

Attachments

• IMG_2072_1 Resized.jpg
    IMG_2072_1 Resized.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2074 Resized.jpg
    IMG_2074 Resized.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 134
sk88 .... Welcome to the Forum!

The case on the Optics Planet link looks like it. To bad they do not show the Zeiss number.

Yeah Bruce, sorry I didn't update this thread in the past. I received the Zeiss Terra case as a free gift from Eagle Optics when I got the 8x32 model.

The Terra ED's case isn't "felt," it's made of Cordura like the FL's and Conquest HD's cases.

Terra ED Cordura case

I "felt" it was a good case, you certainly can get a lot chintzier cases with other bins at the same price point.

I wouldn't use it on my belt, though, the bin is too heavy and would eventually break the belt loops on my jeans.

Brock

Brock ..... Interesting find!

That now adds another case number - 529035. A search shows some US sites marketing it as a Terra case, but some of the overseas sites show it as a 32 mm case for the FL and the Conquest HD.

I am not sure how to interpret your first sentence, but the Terra, as sold in the US, does not come with the Cordura case, but instead comes with a thin draw string pouch. I suspect this was because there was not an easy way to get the much larger Cordura case to fit in the hard plastic display packaging and keeping it to a reasonable size. If they had put the Terra inside the case and the case inside the clear plastic display, then they would be displaying the case rather than the Terra.

Attachments

• IMG_2076_resized.jpg
    IMG_2076_resized.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 72
Nick ... I do not see the 10X42 listed in your current signature. Was it replaced with the Razor 842? I remember you posting about your endeavors with the Endeavor but not the Terra. Actually, you show no 10X at all. To much overlap between the 8X and 12X?

I have a 10X Terra ED in route and am looking forward to comparing it to my current 8X Terra. If it is equivalent, I will be a happy camper. Your generally favorable comments on the 10X in posts 1 and 3 were an influence on me going with the 10X. Brock is right about the fast focus ratio, but it does come in handy when quickly switching between close and far views!

Brock ..... Interesting find!

That now adds another case number - 529035. A search shows some US sites marketing it as a Terra case, but some of the overseas sites show it as a 32 mm case for the FL and the Conquest HD.

I am not sure how to interpret your first sentence, but the Terra, as sold in the US, does not come with the Cordura case, but instead comes with a thin draw string pouch. I suspect this was because there was not an easy way to get the much larger Cordura case to fit in the hard plastic display packaging and keeping it to a reasonable size. If they had put the Terra inside the case and the case inside the clear plastic display, then they would be displaying the case rather than the Terra.

Ooops! Yes, I remember that now. Clear plastic, how cheesy.

I'm using a Terra sample Jerry sent me to try, and he probably bought the Cordura case separately. $28, worth it, IMO. Good case.

Brock

I'm using a Terra sample Jerry sent me to try, and he probably bought the Cordura case separately. $28, worth it, IMO. Good case.

Brock

That was nice of Jerry to do that! Is it the 8X42?

If it is the 2070548 case, specifically labeled for the Terra on the SKU label by Zeiss, then the cost may have only been $15. That is what is showing on the Optic Planet link and about what I remember seeing on the Zeiss Store site when it was up. Some got it direct from Zeiss for the price of shipping.

The Zeiss Cordura cases are my favorite. The Zen-Ray Prime case is also good.

Nick ... I do not see the 10X42 listed in your current signature.

Heh, Bruce, that was long ago. I purchased/returned the 10x42 in August of last year. :)

I purchased the Terra ED 10x42 and generally liked them a lot. About a week after receiving them, I noticed a lot of veiling glare. The final straw though was that the armor was coming loose and sort of warping at the barrel end. I decided to return them and they were replaced by the Viper HD 10x42 model for a short time.

I picked up the Terra ED 8x32 in grey earlier this year from Eagle Optics. I didn't even know about the case until it showed up. Pretty nice touch from them. I ordered at the last minute but they shipped them before store close. Service was great.

The Terra ED 8x32 seem *much* better at glare. CA is pretty well-controlled too. The fast focus is still present which is probably my favorite feature.

My Terra's are my SUV binocular full-time -- they stay in my lockbox and have come in quite handy as of late for various reasons.

Optical quality is still very good considering their price point.

Bruce, I recently picked up the Razor HD 8x42 last month and it's pretty incredible. I'll just warn you now that if you happen to compare the Terra ED to the Razor HD you'll never pick up the Terra again. ;)

Brock

Brock:

The nice Cordura case that I sent along is similar to the other Zeiss cases.

It was available from Zeiss for only $7.00 a while back, they had
a special offer on that.

If I owned a newly acquire Zeiss Terra, I would call the Zeiss customer
service center, and find out what is available.

Jerry

Nick .... Thanks for the update on the history of your 10X42 Terra.

Interesting comment on the veiling glare you saw with the 10X. I have not noticed that being an issue with my 8X. Bob and James H. in their reviews of the 8X said it handled glare exceptionally well. I will have to see how my in route 10X compares to the 8X that I have in that regard. The armor on my 8X is holding up just fine so hopefully that was just a fluke on yours.

The Razors are nice. I especially like the wide FOV spec of the 10X. I have just seen them in the stores and would like to come across one in the field some day.

That was nice of Jerry to do that! Is it the 8X42?

If it is the 2070548 case, specifically labeled for the Terra on the SKU label by Zeiss, then the cost may have only been $15. That is what is showing on the Optic Planet link and about what I remember seeing on the Zeiss Store site when it was up. Some got it direct from Zeiss for the price of shipping.

The Zeiss Cordura cases are my favorite. The Zen-Ray Prime case is also good.

I couldn't tell you which case it is, the plastic bag with the number was not included. I'm surprised you still have yours!

Yes, it was very nice of Jerry, and it's not the first bin he's sent me to try. It is the 8x42 model. Have you tried the 8x32 model? Is the focuser as fast? (< 1/2 turn from cf to ∞).

Unfortunately, we are now in monsoon season, and while the Terra is WP, I don't care for birding in the rain, particularly when the rain is accompanied by intense thunder and lighting. We're getting two to three T-storms a day with periods of steady rain in between. Wish I could send some of this rain out by you. You could use it.

Despite the chant that locals repeat like izombies - "We... need... the... rain" - we don't really need THAT MUCH rain. I live at a high elevation, so we haven't had flooding here, but other parts of the county/state have. There's also been damage due to fallen tree/cow limbs (winds up to 70 mph, some storms accompanied by tornadoes), and there have been power outages. Police have been out in the deluge directing traffic where the traffic lights are out.

Mold and fungus have gone wild! I was in the park the other day feeding the squirrels peanuts when I saw a woman walk by the pavilion and head over to the edge of the woods, bend over, and start hacking at the tree. Curious, I went over and asked her what she was doing. She was cutting off an orange colored fungus from the tree, which she cooks. She said it tastes like chicken. They say that snake tastes like chicken. Humans probably taste like chicken, too (I'd have to ask Hannibal). She can tell its the edible and not poisonous variety because it has no webbing underneath. She doesn't cut it down to the "bone," so it will keep growing and she can come back and harvest some more.

Brock, reporting from Fungii Valley, Pa.

Last edited:
Thank you Bruce and all the others for the Terra case information. It was very difficult for me to find all the information until I saw your responses. For other people like me who may need the same information, the following is a quick summary:
#1285644 - this is listed for Victory 42/45mm series, inside dimension roughly 7 1/2 x 5 3/4 x 2 1/8 inches. about $30 in the U.S. It's longer for what is needed for a Terra.
#529035 - this is listed for Victory 32mm, inside dimension 12.5 x 13 x 5cm. about $29 in the U.S. My Terra is not with me now, but I suspect it may not be big enough if you want to store the bin with lens cover on.
#2070548 - I called Opticsplanet and this is the one on their website for $15, it is the one Zeiss sent out if you pay shipping cost, some websites listed it as TERRAEDPOUCH.

I actually called Zeiss and asked which one would fit Terra ED and was told 2070548 is made for it. And, they will ship one to me for free - what a great customer service :)

BTW, I found out the thread size for a tripod adapter on my Terra ED 10x42 is exactly same as my Celestron Trailseeker 8x42. So, looks like it is a common thread size that would work with many tripod adapters.

Brock .... I save the Zeiss case SKU labels because as you noticed, Zeiss does not have a label anywhere on the case with the model number. I also save the binocular boxes so I just store the label in the box for the binocular using the case.

I have not seen the 8X32 Terra yet. It has been a while since my last visit to Cabela's. They are most likely to have it if anyone does. If not, I hope to attend a Birding Festival in August and see it there.

My Terra is the 8X42 and yes, it does have a fast focus ratio that takes some adjustment. I usually settle down in a turn or two then all is fine. It take just a little less than 3/4 of a turn to go between close focus and infinity on mine. If Mike J. were to put me in charge of the specs, I would specify 1 1/4 turn, especially in the 10X. Not having received my just ordered 10X42 yet, I do not know what the rotation will be on it, but I expect it to be the same as the 8X42.

The Terra may not be the perfect binocular (none are) or the best at everything (none are), but it does everything well for me and so I like the overall package. It is one I feel comfortable about just grabbing on the spur of the moment and then enjoy the view.

Some fungus has spectacular colors so that could make for great close up viewing with your binoculars! You being the charmer that you are, I hope you got an invite for a fungus dinner so you can tell us what it tastes like. Some people out here eat rattle snake and yes, they do say it tastes like chicken. I however have no intention to find out if that is true! The opportunity did present itself a few weeks ago when I was near Camp Verde, AZ and one was stretched out on the side of road. Umm, Tasty!

Sk88 - Glad to hear the case information was helpful. That was nice of you to put together a summary for others. I hope you are enjoying the Forum and stick with us.

Like you, I have been happy with the responses I've gotten from Zeiss.

Here is a post of mine from a few years ago discussing the full size 42 mm FL case .........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=230910&highlight=adorama

The Terra may not be the perfect binocular (none are) or the best at everything (none are), but it does everything well for me and so I like the overall package. It is one I feel comfortable about just grabbing on the spur of the moment and then enjoy the view.

Yep it's a great grab-and-go binocular. The rubber armor feel is great. For whatever reason, the oculars fit my eyes really well. It's probably the most "relaxed" view through a binocular I've used. As expected, the 8x32 is more compact than the 10x42 model by nearly a full inch.

Perhaps Zeiss will up their game a bit and put in sharper optics for double the price. That would really shake things up! :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back