• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra Pocket 10x25 - stiff focusing (1 Viewer)

julay

A few days ago I bought to trial a Viking Kestrel 10x25. These are a new model and rated pretty highly. They have ED glass and dielectric prisms. Compared with my fifteen year old Optician Aspheric 10x25 they are in a different league - as I'd hoped. The focusing is relatively stiff which I don't like but they were £150. Then I read so many rave reviews about the Zeiss 10x25 I ordered one to compare. I'd say the image from the Kestrels is a teeny tiny bit dimmer and less sharp but barely noticeable. However the focusing is also stiff and these cost almost TWICE as much as the Viking Kestrels. The knob on my old Opticrons is very smooth and delightfully light to use. Am I being unreasonable in being disappointed and expecting better of the Zeiss? Are they supposed to be stiff when new and focusing to get lighter with use?

Last edited:
Give it a few days mate and play with the focuser.
The dioptre on my new Zeiss binoculars was very stiff but after a few days and playing with it back and forward it's now a lot smoother.

If this is the case I am surprised Zeiss make no mention in their manual of 'running in' a new pair for the focusing to become light enough to adjust properly.

If this is the case I am surprised Zeiss make no mention in their manual of 'running in' a new pair for the focusing to become light enough to adjust properly.
If after a few days it still feels the same, ask for a replacement.
The shop I bought my new binoculars from said, "Any problems bring them straight back".

Yesterday I tried another pair of the Zeiss in a shop - they were exactly the same. I want to like them but it's hard to accept paying £330 and finding this issue. The only reason I can think others accept this is because they've become blind to failings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back