• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra HD 10x42s...You Know These Actually Are Pretty Good (1 Viewer)

UTGrad

United States
Ive been in Conquests HDs, Victory SFs and Swaro ELs but I let them go for other projects. I'm currently down to Nikon Monarch 7s and Terra HDs.

I'll be back in a pair of Conquest HDs soon, considering I find them to have a high value to performance ratio.

With that said, these Terras arent too bad. CA is corrected pretty well in the center of view and they are pretty sharp. I got this pair as a demo for less than $400 so a pretty good deal.

Anyone else find Terras to be "serviceable"? I think these do a good job in a pinch or a lull between alpha/near alphas.

I wonder if they compare to Nikon Monarch 5s or 7s
I've owned several pairs of 8X42 Terras for quite a while. I've compared them to several in the same price range. They typically are not among the best optically but are very well made with good eyecups and focus. I think the Monarch 7(now M7) are an optically better binocular with class leading FOV. I do see the Terras used a good bit where I go birding.

I've owned several pairs of 8X42 Terras for quite a while. I've compared them to several in the same price range. They typically are not among the best optically but are very well made with good eyecups and focus. I think the Monarch 7(now M7) are an optically better binocular with class leading FOV. I do see the Terras used a good bit where I go birding.

I’ve got Monarch 7s (not the M7s) and the 8 degree viewing angle is nice.

I wonder if they compare to Nikon Monarch 5s or 7s
I directly compared Zeiss Terra 10x42 and old Nikon Monarch 5 ED 10x42 a few years ago and I drew the following personal conclusions: With the exception of the slightly smaller field of view, Nikon Monarch 5 was an infinitely better optical binocular than Terra. Much much brighter, obviously with greater clarity, better contrast and more vivid colors. On the other hand, in comparison, the image through the Terra was yellowish, poorly contrasted, without that sparkle present in the Nikon Monarch 5. In my opinion, Terra 10x42 variant does not really deserve the Zeiss name.

I'm not quite the optical critic that some here are but I bought an early first gen pair of the 8x42's from a member here years ago for about $200. I keep them in my rig so I always have a pair if I forget to bring one of my preferred bins. Other than a slightly yellow color cast, I find them completely usable and satisfying. I've used them quite a bit as so many outings are spontaneous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back