• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrapins Uk, Should they stay? (1 Viewer)

karpman

Hello.

Whilst out birding on my local patch i stumbled across a Terrapin in my local brook course a scary i find i tell you lol:t:
After bringing this subject else were i though maybe it deserves a thread of it's own.

I rang the RSPCA and they seemed not to interested with my terrapin which i have since been told are in fact 2 terrapins, Due to them not breeding over here due to climate should we be worried or will they breed?

Karpster
http://environment.independentminds.livejournal.com/253388.html

Attachments

• terapin.jpg
    terapin.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 133
Well they can't breed at the moment as the average temperature in the summer is too cold but they can live for 40 years...

if temperatures carry on rising then it may be possible for the eggs to be viable and we might have a real problem with them.

How are Red-eared Sliders a menace to waterfowl? Or are you talking about some other kind of non-native turtle?

they can take the odd newly hatched chick. when they are fully grown. a fully grown one will be around 18 inches long but to get there takes 50 years.

and on the comments about they can't breed at the moment, in or der to produce a viable population the average temperature would have to increase by around 4C climate scientitst worse fears are working round 2 to 2.5 c

My local "presumed released" red-eared Terrapins feed on the baby ducklings.

CB

They are alot more aggressive than people realise, as CB says they have no trouble taking ducklings and will also take eggs, we have at least 3 Red-eared Terrapins at Westport Lake and i'm sure they cleaned out a Moorhen nest recently, although they currently can't breed in this country they will live for upto 70 years!!

While it’s far from ideal to have non-native Red-eared Terrapins (and related species) living in our ecosystem, their ecological impact is not as detrimental as some people think. As far as I know there isn’t any clear scientific evidence that suggests they can dramatically alter the environment, although they obviously feed on other organisms etc.

They are more of a problem in other parts of Europe where they out compete the native turtles, and are able to breed due to a more favourable climate.

What I’m trying to say is a wide range of other invasive organisms are much more a cause for concern e.g. Mink and American Signal Crayfish.

I must say I’m surprised to hear Red-eared Sliders spoken of as a signficant predator of young waterfowl. The species certainly doesn’t have that reputation in Nevada where it’s also non-native & is fairly abundant—at least in suburban settings--with breeding populations at some of the local lakes & ponds. In fact, my understanding has always been that adult Red-eared Sliders are mainly herbivorous & take little animal food of any kind.

I must say I’m surprised to hear Red-eared Sliders spoken of as a signficant predator of young waterfowl. The species certainly doesn’t have that reputation in Nevada where it’s also non-native & is fairly abundant—at least in suburban settings--with breeding populations at some of the local lakes & ponds. In fact, my understanding has always been that adult Red-eared Sliders are mainly herbivorous & take little animal food of any kind.

no they are carnivorous actually primarily pescivorous but they can't do much damage, particularly when compared with other invasive alien species which we have on our shores currently.
it would take 10 full grown turtles to do the damage of one mink. presuming mink ate everything that they killed, which they don't even get close to doing.
resources are far better targeted at removing highly destructive non native species which are perfectly capable of not only surviving but also multiplying at an alarming rate. fortunately our native otter affords some level of control of mink so we have an allie in our fight against them.

What I’m trying to say is a wide range of other invasive organisms are much more a cause for concern e.g. Mink and American Signal Crayfish.

Have to agree with you here, Mink are a nightmare, as well as Terrapins we have Mink and Signal Crayfish (Just call us a dumping ground, for unwanted pets etc), the Mink have bred and are currently killing the Mallards for food, although the Crayfish are a pain they seem to do less damage and the Polish population around here have taken to catching them and then selling on, the Mink I think came from a old Mink farm on the Staffs/Shrops border and were released by animal rights in the early 90's and have since spread throughout the area.

The signal crayfish is decimating the population of the native white-tailed crayfish. There are only a few areas of the country where there are viable populations of the white-tailed.
I wouldn't put the mink problem down to just one mink farm, and certainly not as late as the 90's, I can remember watching wild mink on the river Wharfe in the late 70's when I was still an angler.

no they are carnivorous actually primarily pescivorous but they can't do much damage, particularly when compared with other invasive alien species which we have on our shores currently.
QUOTE]

No, from what I’ve been able to learn, adult sliders are basically herbivorous, eating relatively little animal food. See, for example, the following excerpt from “The Biogeography of the Red-eared Slider” (http://bss.sfsu.edu/holzman/courses/fall01 projects/reslider.htm).

“Young sliders tend to be more carnivorous than adults; eating about 70% animal matter and 30% plant matter. Adults eat 90% plant matter and 10% animal matter (Wilke 1979). Foods include aquatic snails, tadpoles, crawfish, fish, crustaceans and mollusks. They also eat plants like arrowhead, water lilies, hyacinths and duckweed. Feeding occurs under water, usually late in the afternoon (Dawson 1998)”.

None of the sources I’ve looked at so far so much as mentions young birds as a component of RE Slider diet.

The terrapins that have been released into the wild in the UK are not going to meet their preferred 90% vegetation and 10% animal diet, most of the places where you find these in the UK are ponds and small lakes where the water plants are going to be eaten extremely quickly, leaving the animal little to feed on but ducklings and fishes.

The terrapins that have been released into the wild in the UK are not going to meet their preferred 90% vegetation and 10% animal diet, most of the places where you find these in the UK are ponds and small lakes where the water plants are going to be eaten extremely quickly, leaving the animal little to feed on but ducklings and fishes.

What is your source for this statement? Has anything been published on the subject? “Ponds & small lakes”, BTW, are exactly the kinds of places where I see Red-eared Sliders in Reno & where, as far as I can tell, the vegetation is doing just fine.

QUOTE]

No, from what I’ve been able to learn, adult sliders are basically herbivorous, eating relatively little animal food. See, for example, the following excerpt from “The Biogeography of the Red-eared Slider” (http://bss.sfsu.edu/holzman/courses/fall01 projects/reslider.htm).

“Young sliders tend to be more carnivorous than adults; eating about 70% animal matter and 30% plant matter. Adults eat 90% plant matter and 10% animal matter (Wilke 1979). Foods include aquatic snails, tadpoles, crawfish, fish, crustaceans and mollusks. They also eat plants like arrowhead, water lilies, hyacinths and duckweed. Feeding occurs under water, usually late in the afternoon (Dawson 1998)”.

None of the sources I’ve looked at so far so much as mentions young birds as a component of RE Slider diet.

other than it actualy having been filmed and shown on british tv a couple of weeks ago, adult sliders do take the odd newly fledged duckling, they will more frequently scavenge newly dead carcases though.
they make great garbage men.

keith what you and cheshire birder are failing to grasp here is they hardly actualy eat anything at all, the amount of food which is required to keep a mammal alive for one month will last a reptile for 10.

i had 4 red eared sliders which were kept in optimum conditions, for growth back in the 80's i used to feed them 1 small piece of mince eavh every couple of days or a thumnail sized piece of liver, a gold fish would last the 4 of them a week, these were rapidly growing.

a fully grown turtle actually requires less food proportionaly than a growing one, if one kills a malard chick it will last 3 fully grown ones for about a week if they eat nothing else and they would have to eat nothing else and get lots of rays in order to actualy digest it. other wise it would rot in their stomach and kill them.

and in case anyone is wondering no i didn't release mineinto the wild i got the calcium suplementation of their diet wrong and they all eventualy died of mbd. because little information was available at the time.

Last edited:
The signal crayfish is decimating the population of the native white-tailed crayfish. There are only a few areas of the country where there are viable populations of the white-tailed.
I wouldn't put the mink problem down to just one mink farm, and certainly not as late as the 90's, I can remember watching wild mink on the river Wharfe in the late 70's when I was still an angler.

Sorry Keith should of made things a bit clearer, I'm on about 1st the Signal Crayfish at Westport Lake where we don't have any White-tailed, 2nd on the Mink front I'm on about what happened here and why they have spread so fast in this area, it was early 90's happened not long after I had moved to Stoke which was in 89. Of course the Mink problem is not down to that farm countrywise but has not help around here where there was a huge increase in numbers after what happened at that farm.

Hope that clears things up abit, didn't mean for it too apply to the whole country just around here.

There was a clip recently on a TV wildlife show 'Bill Oddies Top 10 Aliens' it had a clip of Terrapins catching Ducklings from below dragging them underwater and then showed it eating it's catch, this may of course be a one off, but you never know.

You sure don’t. Fascinating. I’ll be watching the sliders at the local duck ponds with new eyes in the future.

Edit: here what googling just turned up:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4138676.stm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back