• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrapins Uk, Should they stay? (1 Viewer)

Did they hatch and what was the sex ratio of the young produced?

An excellent question Robin. regrettably I hadn't returned to the nesting sites to see if they were successful but i suspect the presence of young sliders in nearby waters is the result of successful hatching. I have no idea about the sex ratio.

Cheers!

Russ

Here is Minnesota, we have a god afull lot of red eared sliders. Maybe more than any other place in the world. I can guarentee you the have not affected the duck population. If you have sunfish or minows you want to protect then you may have a concern. But they have not affected those populatons here either.

Attachments

• turtle1.jpg
    turtle1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
We have an established population of red-eared sliders here in my neck of Southern Ontario, luckily the experts figure our climate is too cold for them to breed. That is until I observed a female laying eggs... and then another.

Cheers,

Russ

do you get warmer summers than us

lots of money could be thrown at removing them from our environment, this money would have to come from the budgets of species which do far more damage and are a far greater problem

Why don't DEFRA just employ a small team of people to remove (not already established) non-native species as and when they are reported? This would be cheap and easy.

We always wait and see what happens and by that time its too late!

Why don't DEFRA just employ a small team of people to remove (not already established) non-native species as and when they are reported? This would be cheap and easy.

We always wait and see what happens and by that time its too late!

you could give 300 people a job for life getting rid of the mink, which i'm sure we can all agree is a far more urgent problem.

you could give 300 people a job for life getting rid of the mink, which i'm sure we can all agree is a far more urgent problem.

Of course it is, but we're not talking about established exotics. What I am suggesting is that a small team of people work full-time rounding up non-established exotic species to prevent anything new get established. Had this been done previously, the mink could have been removed easily when there were only a few.

If you get a bunch of these dudes in the photo below, then start worrying. I got the photo of him taking his nap after a nice duck dinner. But you may experience causalities with your team trying to "round 'em up."

Attachments

• SNAPPER1.jpg
    SNAPPER1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 77
Snappers are here too it seems.

Eradicate these critters, We have already taken liberty's with our native specie and let's not do this again..

karpman

I won’t worry about the red eared sliders. For generations in the US, they have been sold as kids pets. They’re as cute as bunnies. Only problem we’ve had with them was a fad in the 70’s to swallow your pet turtle, and the kid got salmonella.

But the snappers could pose a threat. Common snappers get to 75 pounds and alligator snappers grow to well over 200 pounds. They are the meanest and ugliest critters in the Mississippi, and they are really hard to kill. What we generally do here when we come across a snapper is pretend we didn’t see it and walk the other way. I hope this helps.

Snappers are here too it seems.

Eradicate these critters, We have already taken liberty's with our native specie and let's not do this again..

karpman

I agree totally.

Maybe they will turn out to be harmless, but I don't think we should take that chance.

ah but aligator snappers are easy to catch all you do is get a small child tie a rope round it's waist and sling it in the water then sit back and wait.

it's a bit heavy on the baits though.

I understand that this post is very old.
But some of the things that people say about red-eared sliders are ridiculous.

Trachemys turtles may eat an occasional duckling, but they are by no means a threat to waterfowl populations.
Red-eared sliders are opportunistic, and in proportion to their abundance, it is very uncommon to see them eating mallard ducklings.
They are even less likely to prey on the ducklings of scarcer European species.

In the US, red-eared sliders are extremely abundant, but it is usually only snapping turtles that are accused of affecting waterfowl populations, and even then their tendencies are dramatized.

Red foxes, otters, stoats, grey herons, and pike are much more serious threats, but because they are American imports, it will be red-eared sliders that inevitably suffer the accusations. Videos of turtles eating ducklings followed by people saying things like "they aren't actually vegetarians" will motivate people to oppose them, because people love ducklings and can't stand to watch "evil" turtles eat them.

People are much more likely to respond to warnings that they will eat ducklings and bite and attack children (the latter accusation is almost completely false) than they are to "realistic" warnings that they might disrupt ecology, spread diseases to native reptiles, and devastate aquatic plant communities by their messy foraging activities.

Red-eared sliders also don't eat bird eggs. They cannot even forage out of water because they cannot swallow unless they are underwater.

Even invasive species don't deserve false accusations.

Last edited:
I understand that this post is very old.
But some of the things that people say about red-eared sliders are ridiculous.

Even invasive species don't deserve false accusations.
What was the point of bringing up a post that is really old hat. Our Government authority has long declared this species as invasive - end of. Nothing new from your ramblings I'm afraid, whilst I personally have watched a large individual consuming the contents of a great crested grebe egg many moons ago.
No different to your Fisheries and Game department labelling European Starling and House Sparrow as invasive unwanted pests.

Not saying they are not invasive or that they shouldn't be removed, but I would also question the impact they have on bird populations through predation. waterfowl nestlings and eggs are just not a major component of their diet, and only the largest individuals could even really try to get a nestling. And its not like European waterfowl don't survive alongside turtles on the continent, so they shouldn't be a complete alien threat that birds have no adaptations against.

The biggest concern IMHO with non-native red-eared sliders is potential competition with native turtles, however IIRC UK doesn't have any, so that would be more a concern on the continent than in the UK.

There's also the concern of them preying on native amphibians, which are already beleaguered by new diseases.
True, and also the turtles could also be a disease vector. Anything that has been in captivity for an extended amount of time has the potential to be exposed to disease that wild animals may not normally encounter.

The individual I watched for many years on the River Thames was an extremely large and long lived specimen which became quite a celebrity amongst the regular and local pleasure boaters including the commentary from passenger vessel skippers on scheduled tours until she was washed downstream and found a tranquil backwater, sunning itself on a favourite log during the summer months. The local angling club taking pot shots at it with catapults, blaming it's prescence on dwindling fish numbers ( but fishermen do exaggerate ).

There were countless numbers released into village ponds, streams and rivers after the TMNHT craze died out or they outgrew their owners tanks. Not many left nowadays.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back