• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas coastal wetlands list (3 Viewers)

Thank you for this Jaywalk. I'll be in the area very shortly, and you have alerted me to some places I didn't know about. I'm really looking forward to the trip.
You're welcome! Please report back with your reactions - I haven't been to enough of them myself.

Really enjoying this trip. The people here are so friendly and helpful. First day was Aransas Wildlife Refuge for one of my target birds--Whooping Crane. I saw two at a very great distance. It was obvious what they were with the great hunched back and long necks, but I wouldn't call it "seeing" them. I thought it might be cheating to list them! A lady at the refuge suggested I go to the Big Tree in Goose Island State Park to get a closer view. I found the Big Tree, and sure enough, across the street in someone's private land, there were 12 of them along with Sandhill Cranes and Roseate Spoonbills. The next street over, I found some even closer in somebody's yard. Today was the second day. Drove to Mustang Island from Rockport to find an Aplomado Falcon. I had researched about the nesting platforms and found one with what I assume was a pair as there were two on the platform. Beautiful birds and I applaud the efforts by Mustang Island State Park, the Peregrine Fund and Us Fish and Wildlife to protect them and help ensure that my great-granddaughters might see them. The platforms are on the opposite side of the road to the entrance of the park, but I went back and paid the entrance fee--they deserve it. The only thing I wasn't sure of was how to get there. Take a ferry from Port Aransas, or drive into Corpus Christi and go by road. I was a bit nervous about the ferry, but a young man at Stevie Lew's BBQ helped me to decide to take the ferry, and he gave me very good directions. Don't know why I was a little worried about the ferry, but I'm glad I went--it was short and easy. The pulled pork sandwich at Stevie Lew's was delicious! My husband texted me later and told me that in Texas, I should have beef brisket BBQ rather the pork. Oh well, maybe I'll still have a chance. I leave here tomorrow and start the drive back to San Antonio. I am stopping along the way to try to get a few more target birds--Green Jay and some sparrows. I am going to try to find a Black-crested Titmouse and Seaside Sparrow in this neck of the woods before leaving. Not holding my breath for the Seaside, but I have to give it a shot. If I don't see the Titmouse here, I still have a chance along the way back to SA. I'm kicking myself for not planning a two-week trip rather than one. Won't have time to check out the Attwater's Prairie Chicken Refuge. I could easily spend a month here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back