• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Big Thicket 4 (1 Viewer)

I have not actually birded the Big Thicket, but I know someone who should be very knowledgeable about that area & will shoot him an email. As soon as I get a reply, I will post the details. The warbler is a bit of skulky type, but I think you should be should be able to get all 4 without much struggle. The Red-cockaded are watched carefully & the active trees are marked so that they can track the population. The Brown-headed Nuthatch likes to hang out high in the trees, but you can't miss it's squeak toy call! When you are there, keep in mind that the Big Thicket is host to some very unique plant life as well, so look for that as well. Good bug spray will be needed!!!

Ok, from 2 good sources:

For the Bachman's Sparrow - Boykin Springs in the Angelina National Forest was the overwhelming suggestion & indeed it is where I got my lifer Bachman's. The Brown-headed Nuthatches & Red-cockaded can be found there as well. In the spring they should be found relatively easily singing away. Tidks & fleas are an issue in this part of Texas, so very good bug spray is recommended!

For the Swainson's Warbler - the best suggestion was the W.G.Jones State Forest. You can get the Red-cockaded & nuthatch as well. The other suggested spot was the south unit of Richland Chamber Reservoir, but that brings you too far north for your travels I think. Same bug spray advice.

Keep an eye on Ebird for recent sightings. If I hear of any other good spots, I will post them.

Forgot to add, one of the guys says he has heard the Swainson's when birding the Big Thicket, but not laid eyes on them & said he wouldn't know exactly to advise you to look. Kind of a heard more than seen bird in my personal experience!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back