• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Charm of Birds by Sir Edward Grey (1 Viewer)

Mr_K

Hello.
I'm thinking about buying the book. Can anyone post some excerpts? I'd like to read a little of it first. Thank you.

Attachments

• Charm of Birds. 20211027.png
    Charm of Birds. 20211027.png
    549.4 KB · Views: 9
Sir Edward Grey's book The Charm of Birds was an Edwardian bestseller so can often be found in secondhand bookshops very cheaply but I'm afraid I've never read it and indeed it seems rarely read today. Sir Edward Grey (or Lord Grey of Fallodon as he later became) was a politician and statesman famously known for his comment in 1914 that ‘The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime’. I believe much of The Charm of Birds concerns his observations around Itchen Abbas (near Winchester) in Hampshire. He was married to Frances Dorothy Widdrington who was the great-niece of Captain Samuel Cook the man who discovered Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cooki) in Spain.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back