• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Doose? Duck/Goose hybrid? (1 Viewer)

TomBolger

Curious Person
I was walking along a lakeside path near my house earlier today, and I passed a gaggle of Canadian Geese. There are always geese there, so I took no special notice. I looked out into the water, and one goose caught my eye. Its head was different. It looked like a duck's head. Soon it stared to fly, and when its legs broke water, I saw that they were orange and had huge feet, like a duck! Later I reteurned here with my camera, and got a very good look at it, and some pretty good pictures. I am not very educated in the study of birds, but I did fairly extencive research on the topic, and I looked at pictures of basically ever species of known geese, and nothing seemed to match, or even come close. What I am wondering is if it is possible for Canadian Geese to interbreed in the wild with any ducks (based on where I am, probably Mallard Ducks) and if so, if it is common. I just want to know if I've made a discovery or if I'm wasting my time. If you can shed any light at all on this subject, please make a post.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a 40 second video of the Doose in action, and am willing to email it to any person interested.

Attachments

• The Doose 005.jpg
    The Doose 005.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 331
  • The Doose 008.jpg
    The Doose 008.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 263
  • The Doose 009.jpg
    The Doose 009.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 231
  • The Doose 010.jpg
    The Doose 010.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 235
  • The Doose 011.jpg
    The Doose 011.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 367
TomBolger said:
I was walking along a lakeside path near my house earlier today, and I passed a gaggle of Canadian Geese. There are always geese there, so I took no special notice. I looked out into the water, and one goose caught my eye. Its head was different. It looked like a duck's head. Soon it stared to fly, and when its legs broke water, I saw that they were orange and had huge feet, like a duck! Later I reteurned here with my camera, and got a very good look at it, and some pretty good pictures. I am not very educated in the study of birds, but I did fairly extencive research on the topic, and I looked at pictures of basically ever species of known geese, and nothing seemed to match, or even come close. What I am wondering is if it is possible for Canadian Geese to interbreed in the wild with any ducks (based on where I am, probably Mallard Ducks) and if so, if it is common. I just want to know if I've made a discovery or if I'm wasting my time. If you can shed any light at all on this subject, please make a post.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a 40 second video of the Doose in action, and am willing to email it to any person interested.

I'm pretty dumb regards geese but we have some like that in South west England - Canada/Greylag hybrids.

This may be true...

I have taken the advice of the people who replied to this, and researched the Graylag/Canada Goose hybrid, and they look identical. It's safe to say that this is, in fact, a hybrid of a Canada Goose and a Greylag Goose. But this raises another question. What would a Greylag Goose be doing in Northern New Jersey. They live only in Eastern Europe, as in Britain, United Kindom, ect. So now the thread can be about how in the world a Graylag/Canada goose ended up in New Jersey. Go at it, bird enthusiasts!

TomBolger said:
I have taken the advice of the people who replied to this, and researched the Graylag/Canada Goose hybrid, and they look identical. It's safe to say that this is, in fact, a hybrid of a Canada Goose and a Greylag Goose. But this raises another question. What would a Greylag Goose be doing in Northern New Jersey. They live only in Eastern Europe, as in Britain, United Kindom, ect. So now the thread can be about how in the world a Graylag/Canada goose ended up in New Jersey. Go at it, bird enthusiasts!

That's an interesting question - in England we can expect all sorts of vagrant birds due to local weather systems blowing birds in from Africa or Russia and the jet stream blowing birds from the U.S. - birds returning to the U.S. is possible.
Canada geese (if they migrate at all) are north south birds and could go from England to Iceland to Greenland to Canada to the U.S. - they can fly a thousand miles in a day.
Why a hybrid should feel driven to do that I don't know - the ones here are browsing the same grass year after year.

So the question remains, why would a Greylag Goose come to the US, especially if they don't even migrate? It makes no sence. Also, are the hybrids fertile or sterile? I know that mules are sterile, along with ligers and tigons (hybrids between tigers and lions, ligers can be enourmous, as in 1,200 lbs) but will this hybrid be sterile? If so, that means that there was a Greylag Goose here very recently, because it would not be able to keep the genetics from a Greylag alive in the goose community. If not, and it is fertile, then it will likely spread it's greylag genes all over the goose pouplation in the next generations and who knows what that will do to the existing goose population, which is already a problem. Anyway, please provide any additional imput you can.

Last edited:
Greylag Geese are common in barnyards in North America--I see escaped ones pretty often. As for fertility, hybrid birds often tend to be fertile. "Lawrence's" and "Brewster's" warblers are, and I think most duck hybrids are as well. Correct me if I'm wrong on the last point.

Well aside from the verification of these facts, I'd say this case is pretty much solved. So correct anything thats wrong or tell me something I don't know.

Thanks for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back