• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The hunter hunted ... but who is killing Scotland's birds of prey? (1 Viewer)

Just saw Nirofo's photos and it makes me so heartfelt sick and sad.

And it's all in the name of 'good management' or so they would have us all believe.

|=(|

griffin said:
Well I am glad you are happy to be thought of as a fool - certainly more people than only me think so ! The offer is open, bet I can run you into the ground for all your big talk.

PS the caps lock is on the left of the keyboard incase you didn't know.
HI GRIFFIN , O DEAR IT SEEMS YOU LIKE TO DISH IT OUT BUT YOU ARE NOT SO KEEN WHEN IT COMES BACK , ONE THING I WILL SAY GRIFFIN ANY MAN THAT CAN DO 18 MILES IN THE HIGHLANDS WOULD MAKE ONE HELL OF A KEEPER JUST THINK HOW MUCH THE ESTATE WOULD SAVE IN LANDROVER FUEL , REGARDS DEREKJAKE :t: :t:

Jane Turner said:
That would be a matter of opinion. Pass the cheese (for my ears)
HI JANE HOW ARE YOU DEAR , SOON BE TIME FOR THE GROUSE SNOWBALLING SEASON OR MAYBE YOU NO LONGER TAKE PART IN THAT SPORT , IS YOUR NEW SPORT TRYING TO WIND UP KEEPERS , I WOULD GO BACK TO SNOWBALLING YOU WILL HAVE MORE LUCK , REGARDS DEREKJAKE :eat: :eat:

derekjake said:
HI GRIFFIN , O DEAR IT SEEMS YOU LIKE TO DISH IT OUT BUT YOU ARE NOT SO KEEN WHEN IT COMES BACK , ONE THING I WILL SAY GRIFFIN ANY MAN THAT CAN DO 18 MILES IN THE HIGHLANDS WOULD MAKE ONE HELL OF A KEEPER JUST THINK HOW MUCH THE ESTATE WOULD SAVE IN LANDROVER FUEL , REGARDS DEREKJAKE :t: :t:

Hi derekjake

Please switch to lower case letters unless you are trying to emphasise a point, 'oh' you are trying to emphasise a point?

I take it your 18 miles in the highlands are running and not walking, if it's walking then what's so hard about that? I used to do a 21 mile round trip just to get to one Golden Eagle nest site over some of the roughest country you could imagine, you couldn't do this one running anyway. There was another site that we had to walk 9 miles on a gated and locked track, (could run that I suppose, but what's the point), then another 6 miles up the hill, (couldn't run that), then the same back again.

I wish I could do it now!!

nirofo.

nirofo said:
Hi derekjake

Please switch to lower case letters unless you are trying to emphasise a point, 'oh' you are trying to emphasise a point?

I take it your 18 miles in the highlands are running and not walking, if it's walking then what's so hard about that? I used to do a 21 mile round trip just to get to one Golden Eagle nest site over some of the roughest country you could imagine, you couldn't do this one running anyway. There was another site that we had to walk 9 miles on a gated and locked track, (could run that I suppose, but what's the point), then another 6 miles up the hill, (couldn't run that), then the same back again.

I wish I could do it now!!

nirofo.
What's so hard about that? Wow - I remember trying to look for golden eagles on Skye and giving up after just a few miles over those hills - easy to get lost, too. You must have been very fit in those days - us southern sorts are just not in the same league!

scampo said:
What's so hard about that? Wow - I remember trying to look for golden eagles on Skye and giving up after just a few miles over those hills - easy to get lost, too. You must have been very fit in those days - us southern sorts are just not in the same league!
I've been walking the hills in the north of Scotland visiting and recording Raptor breeding sites for more than 38 years, we used to set off in the morning, usually about 7.o'clock, not too early and return back to base, (back of the van) by about midnight, we've even slept on the hill if the weather and midges allowed and if it was a particularly hard slog up to the eyrie. Quite a lot of the Golden Eagle eyries are quite distant from the main road and usually entail a walk of at least a 10 mile round trip, with the longest but probably easier walking being a 30 mile round trip. Many of the tracks that we now have access to used to be gated and locked, making vehicle access impossible and necessitating a long walk, most of the keepers wouldn't let you anywhere near when they found out what you were doing, mention the RSPB or the NCC and you were virtually thrown off the land. Many of the old Eagle sites have not been occupied for many years due to various causes, including regular poisoning, burning out the nest, gin traps in the nest, eggs removed and replaced with pot eggs, shooting, nests thrown off the cliff etc. All these tricks and more were performed by keepers mainly, but crofters and farmers were not against pulling a few strokes themselves. Because these long unoccupied nests are in known breeding sites we were obligated to check them just in case, occasionally we had a pleasant surprise and found an eyrie was reoccupied, more often than not the following year it would be empty again. It can be soul destroying slogging away up the hill to what you know is going to be an unoccupied nest when there's very little else in the way of bird life on the hill, but when the weather was fine the views and the shear pleasure of being there was reward enough.

I'm afraid my serious hill walking days are over now, but I still manage to do my bit, even if it is more sedately.

nirofo.

Last edited:
nirofo said:

No, maybe firing a 12 gauge all these years has made him "literary" (sic) deaf ! :'D

Evanji Axu said:
Is this a beatnik forum? 'Cause OH SNAP!

Eh ? Maybe I am missing the transatlantic translation. If you are referring to me as a "hippie" ( aka beatnik ? ) then you have got me all wrong ( I don't smoke reefers, have very short hair, and don't listen to Bob Marley ). However, I was born in "The Summer of Love" (that's 1967 to young things like you ) but in Arbroath not San Francisco. 'fraid I didn't grow up with the sound of Gerry's guitar or Grace's stoned vocals.

It was a joke............jeez some of you yanks are touchy when it comes to guns !

PS did you know that Jimi Hendrix was pro- the Vietnam war ( he was an ex-paratrooper ). See not all hippies were 'bad' were they ?

derekjake said:

I guess "He" could make one hell of a keeper but "He" would rather have his balls nailed to a plank of wood than enter that "profession". No doubt you'll offer to do it.

PS Re-dishing it out and not taking it - bring it on, I'm a BIG BOY !!!!

PPS I learned 'joindey up'ed' writing at school so would have no trouble reading lowercase if you can type it. BUT MAYBE YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO SHOUT YOUR OPINIONS.

Last edited:
griffin said:
Eh ? Maybe I am missing the transatlantic translation. If you are referring to me as a "hippie" ( aka beatnik ? ) then you have got me all wrong ( I don't smoke reefers, have very short hair, and don't listen to Bob Marley ). However, I was born in "The Summer of Love" (that's 1967 to young things like you ) but in Arbroath not San Francisco. 'fraid I didn't grow up with the sound of Gerry's guitar or Grace's stoned vocals.

It was a joke............jeez some of you yanks are touchy when it comes to guns !

PS did you know that Jimi Hendrix was pro- the Vietnam war ( he was an ex-paratrooper ). See not all hippies were 'bad' were they ?
Actually, the "OH SNAP!" is a common exclamation on the internet, usually said as a substitute for "Oh CRAP!" or after witnessing a particularly witty insult. The beatnik part refers to the fact that beatniks snap their fingers instead of clapping their hands.

I'm merely complimenting you on your razor wit.

Evanji Axu said:
Actually, the "OH SNAP!" is a common exclamation on the internet, usually said as a substitute for "Oh CRAP!" or after witnessing a particularly witty insult. The beatnik part refers to the fact that beatniks snap their fingers instead of clapping their hands.

I'm merely complimenting you on your razor wit.

Then, my dear Evanji, I appologize for misinterpreting you, and for making a complete tit (add own adjective ) of myself ! Guess the lingo on our respective sides of the pond is at odds at times ;) I admire your restraint with bad language though, a triat that I am somewhat lapsed in I am afraid.

Guess I really must be getting old afterall, not keeping up with all this internet jargon, darn :gn:

Cheers,

Linz

nirofo said:
I've been walking the hills in the north of Scotland visiting and recording Raptor breeding sites for more than 38 years, we used to set off in the morning, usually about 7.o'clock, not too early and return back to base, (back of the van) by about midnight, we've even slept on the hill if the weather and midges allowed and if it was a particularly hard slog up to the eyrie. Quite a lot of the Golden Eagle eyries are quite distant from the main road and usually entail a walk of at least a 10 mile round trip, with the longest but probably easier walking being a 30 mile round trip. Many of the tracks that we now have access to used to be gated and locked, making vehicle access impossible and necessitating a long walk, most of the keepers wouldn't let you anywhere near when they found out what you were doing, mention the RSPB or the NCC and you were virtually thrown off the land. Many of the old Eagle sites have not been occupied for many years due to various causes, including regular poisoning, burning out the nest, gin traps in the nest, eggs removed and replaced with pot eggs, shooting, nests thrown off the cliff etc. All these tricks and more were performed by keepers mainly, but crofters and farmers were not against pulling a few strokes themselves. Because these long unoccupied nests are in known breeding sites we were obligated to check them just in case, occasionally we had a pleasant surprise and found an eyrie was reoccupied, more often than not the following year it would be empty again. It can be soul destroying slogging away up the hill to what you know is going to be an unoccupied nest when there's very little else in the way of bird life on the hill, but when the weather was fine the views and the shear pleasure of being there was reward enough.

I'm afraid my serious hill walking days are over now, but I still manage to do my bit, even if it is more sedately.

nirofo.
Lots to look back on with pride - I can begin to understand the depth of your feelings on this matter.

Joe North said:
I wonder. Where are the photos of all these dead birds and animals, even the "occasional dog"? Where does one find four pairs of Golden Eagles nesting in the same Glen? Is someone perhaps justifying his existence, "finding" things to prove how necessary he is, shouting "poison" every now and then to keep the pot stirred? Some people seem to be wonderfully expert in finding dead birds, almost as if they know where to look, been doing it for years too, and could anyone tell me what the hell the Police are doing, trudging over Highland hills and glens looking for dead birds, when the streets of towns and cities are (allegedly) crawling with criminals. Its been many long years since I was at RNAS Lossiemouth, and they never had this sort of thing in my young days.

Ah yes, that old chestnut about the police not bothered about real criminals etc. If you rang the cops about something minor mate and they told you they had 'real' criminals to catch, you would be extremely peed off.

To put it bluntly you are talking garbage mate.

It still puzzles me how someone can kill such beautiful and noble creatures without remorse, all for their own financial gain.

Evanji Axu said:
It still puzzles me how someone can kill such beautiful and noble creatures without remorse, all for their own financial gain.

Yip. More noble than certain sections of people will ever be.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back