• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Kowa Eyepiece Compatabiliy Thread (1 Viewer)

good info

just got a kowa tsn 2 with 25x not the long eye relief version, i presume the opticron 40831 fits the tsn 2 aswell and screws on to the outer thread?

thanks
Yes it should but you will need rubber washer about 1 ml to fit between the body and the eyepiece.

I'm putting this on as a definitive guide to what fits on what with Kowa scopes and eyepieces, if anything has been missed or I've got something wrong feel free to post corrections. Hopefully this can serve as a one stop solution to a recurring question.

Kowa TS 502 - I'm fairly sure this will only take 502 ep's, NO adapter. All two of them BTW! :eek!: :-O

Kowa TS610 series - Any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN 600 series, NO adapter. Opticron HDF 20-60x zoom, screws directly onto screw thread (needs washers for optimum performance).

Kowa TSN 1/2/3/4 - Any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN 600 series, NO adapter. Opticron HDF and SDL 20-60x zoom, screws directly onto screw thread (needs washers for optimum performance).

Kowa TSN 600 series - Any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN 600 series, NO adapter.

Kowa TSN 660 series - Any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN 600 series, NO adapter.

Kowa TSN 820 series - Only accepts 820 series eyepieces without adapter. Adapter required for fitting any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN 600 series, but hard to find.

TSN 82SV - Uses TSN600 eyepieces so in theory should accept any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series with no adapter.

TSN 770 series - Only accepts the new 770/880 series eyepieces without adapter. I think adapter's can be bought to accept any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN600 series. Not sure about TSN820 EP's but probs not.

TSN 880 series - Only accepts the new 770/880 series eyepieces without adapter. I think adapter's can be bought to accept any TS610 series, TSN 1/2/3/4 series and TSN600 series. Not sure about TSN820 EP's but probs not.

Think that's everything I can think of. :t:
I have today found that Opticron sdlv2 does NOT fit my late model tsn3 at all I am putting this on here in the hope that anyone with a late tsn ( multicoated) will not buy the sdlv2 without checking it will fit as I said before the 40862 zoom fits with no problem at all but I am using the 40831 and currently waiting for an digiscoping adapter it appears with the 20mm sandwich lens fitted there will be no vignetting at all will post a couple of photos when the adapter arrives.I only tried the sdlv2 to see how wide the field of view would be.

I found someone with the correct tool to measure the sdlv2 eyepiece he found that the tube which goes into the scope is 27.5mm in diameter and the internal measurement of the housing on my scope is exactly the same which does of course explain why I cannot fit this to my tsn3. Though it does fit earlier tsn3s
The HDF 40831 is only 25.5mm and the HDF 40862 is 27mm this shows it is not only different coatings on these tsn scopes the 40862 does not seem a tight fit but obviously is.
For information purposes the spacer used to fit these eyepieces snugly is only needed because there is more thread on an Opticron eyepiece (the knurled ring) than there is available on the outer Kowa thread it is attached to.... the size of this spacer does not seem to affect focus one just needs to make sure the eyepiece is not loose.

just bought a minox 22x ww apparently fits the old tsn 1-4 same bayonet fitting?
Whats it like ? The opticron 40831 seems much better than kowas 20 or 30x that do fit this scope (wider and brighter) I put that down to the improvements made in eyepiece design ( none of the modern kowas fit).

Are there any adapters to attach a Kowa zoom (or any other alpha zoom) to a scope that accepts 1.25" astro EPs?

Thanks

Whats it like ? The opticron 40831 seems much better than kowas 20 or 30x that do fit this scope (wider and brighter) I put that down to the improvements made in eyepiece design ( none of the modern kowas fit).
still waiting for the eyepiece to arrive , but report back.

i have a tsn 1 and tsn 2 with 25x and the original 20-60x i prefer the 25x

Joachim i think you asked for a pix of the moon thru tsn3 plus opticron 40831 so now the adapters here have done you 1 b&w and thru the window hoping for Brambling this week.

Attachments

• _1470290 (2).JPG
    _1470290 (2).JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 23
Are there any adapters to attach a Kowa zoom (or any other alpha zoom) to a scope that accepts 1.25" astro EPs?

Thanks
The Kowa zoom's bayonet is too wide for 1.25"focusers. I've adapted my 25-60x/ 30-70x Kowa zoom for use in 2" focusers using an old APM adapter originally made for the Zeiss Diascope eyepieces. It's semi-universal (I've used it with Swarovski zooms also) as long as you can find grub screws of the right length to tighten down on the eyepiece just above the bayonet. Of course the Baader Hyperion zoom is an alpha zoom and comes with both 1.25" and 2" eyepiece tubes right out of the box.

Henry

I have now discovered that Opticron do an adapter (part number 40925) and this enables quite a few Opticron eyepieces to be fitted the the tsn3 etc and negates the use of any kind of packing the HDF T 40809 works very well.
So if anyone is struggling for a decent view this could be a route to try whether any other companies would fit is open to question I can only give information I have checked myself.
The adapter is only about £12.00 so if you have access to a good wide opticron eyepiece take a look on their website regarding compatability.

it arrived yesterday

fits perfectly and after some birding this morning its a lot better than my kowa 25x ie brighter sharper and wider very good for £29 brand new boxed

not much eye relief but i find it a very good eyepiece

3K3O5112.jpg

3K3O5115.jpg

I have now discovered that Opticron do an adapter (part number 40925) and this enables quite a few Opticron eyepieces to be fitted the the tsn3 etc and negates the use of any kind of packing the HDF T 40809 works very well.
So if anyone is struggling for a decent view this could be a route to try whether any other companies would fit is open to question I can only give information I have checked myself.
The adapter is only about £12.00 so if you have access to a good wide opticron eyepiece take a look on their website regarding compatability.
got a opticron eyepiece hdf so hopefully the adaptor will work 3K3O5117.jpg

well the opticron adaptor 40925 arrived and fits my tsn 1 & 2 and takes my unknown 20x opticron eyepiece but only reaches focus at around 100 meters

but my tse -14w (rubber eyecup) arrived as well off ebay a bargin this looks like a good eyepiece

now on the hunt for a kowa tsn 3..........i know old school but i had one years ago until it broke

the search continues

Will the adaptor rings that come with the baader hyperion mk4 eyepiece also allow the kowa TE 17 W 30X Eyepiece to fit a Kowa 823M spotting scope.

TE 17w does not need an additional ring /adapter to fit 823M, it just goes straight in.
The baader mk4 Zoom screws onto the thread the hard eyepiece protector screws on to which surrounds the eyepiece socket.
Thanks for info
Will the Kowa TE 17W 30X
EYEPIECE FOR 773/883 Kowa model scopes Also fit the 823m prominar scope Without an addaptor ring, Thanks.

Thanks for info
Will the Kowa TE 17W 30X
EYEPIECE FOR 773/883 Kowa model scopes Also fit the 823m prominar scope Without an addaptor ring, Thanks.

Hi, again !
I deleted my previous answer as it was totally wrong.
It is NOT the TE17W that fits the 823M but the TE 14W.
NO 770/880/990 eyepiece fits the 823 or 600 series
Baader mk4 zoom DOES fit 823M as said by screwing on the hard protector cover thread around the eyepiece aperture, alone NO added adapter needed.
Sorry for the previous confusion
Also maybe this thread might help you.

Last edited:
Hi, again !
I deleted my previous answer as it was totally wrong.
It is NOT the TE17W that fits the 823M but the TE 14W.
NO 770/880/990 eyepiece fits the 823 or 600 series
Baader mk4 zoom DOES fit 823M as said by screwing on the hard protector cover thread around the eyepiece aperture, alone NO added adapter needed.
Sorry for the previous confusion
Also maybe this thread might help you.
Thanks for info
Will the Kowa TE 17W 30X
EYEPIECE FOR 773/883 Kowa model scopes Also fit the 823m prominar scope With an addaptor ring fitted Thanks.

I still have the adapter that fits the kowa 820 scopes enabling the use of kowa tsn 1 to 4 series eyepieces if anyone in the UK needs this please pm me.
(I think it would be a problem to export.)

I still have the adapter that fits the kowa 820 scopes enabling the use of kowa tsn 1 to 4 series eyepieces if anyone in the UK needs this please pm me.
(I think it would be a problem to export.)

Hello Z-ben
Could you please confirm the adaptor is a tsn EC-1A
For allowing the series 600/700 eyepieces e.g 17HD 25X LER Eyepiece to fit a tsn 823m spotting scope ifso i would be interested in buying the adaptor pm sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back