• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Norfolk countryside on a bicycle (abridged version) (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Well, i did try writing something a little more creative but couldn't get the wording right so i gave up on it, but had i persevered it would no doubt have included such descriptions as "zipping along on my bicycle", "country lanes, greenery, hedgerows & sunshine" and "birdsong" etc, and ended up rather too long & possibly largely uninteresting to anyone not overly interested in bicycles.

Anyhow, as i haven't done a thorough, or at least as thorough as i am capable, List-of-birds-while-on-my-bike for ages now and as the gorgeous sunshine on Friday made it seem almost a crime to catch the train home from work, off i pedalled instead with notebook, bins & camera in hand (well actually they were in the back pocket of my cycling jersey, but thats by the way really) with the temperature as i left easily still above 60 degrees, the occasional fluffy white cloud floating lazily over and a gentle breeze blowing.

So, here we are then, flowery descriptions aside, noted on my way home from work Friday evening from Norwich going east via the country lanes, where many people seem to consider it as simply "between-places" or even "here-be-dragons" ... through Panxworth, South Walsham, Stokesby, Runham & Thrigby. Most of it is usual enough stuff but i was particularly pleased with actually seeing a Blackcap, a Cuckoo sat up top of a dead tree calling away, 2 singing Sedge Warblers, a Hobby & a Greater-spotted Woodpecker, all with absolutely no effort whatsoever. The Reed Warbler was my first this year and was across the river in the reeds (oddly enough), occasionally clambering to the top of a reed-stem, at Stokesby. My personal "best" was the Wood Warbler in trees along the boundary wall of Runham churchyard busily bouncing about amongst the greenery looking all smart with its yellow breast and calling just like the one on the CD, and close second was the not-really-very-Common-around-here Buzzard which would have been the absolute best had i not seen it 3 times in recent weeks. And lastly i think "our" Swifts deserve a mention for putting in an appearance just at the end, as i pulled up to my gate, when 8 of them (i know that because i counted them) came zipping low over the rooftop in a long line chasing each other screaming out loud.

Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Gt Tit
Blue Tit
Yellowhammer
House Sparrow
Dunnock
Wren
Skylark
Pied Wagtail
Blackbird
Starling
Robin
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Magpie

(pause for breath ;) )

Red-legged Partridge
Pheasant
Lapwing
Grey heron
Crow
Jackdaw
Mute Swan
Oystercatcher
Curlew

Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Cuckoo
Reed Warbler
Whitethroat
Sedge Warbler
Reed Bunting

Greater-spotted Woodpecker

Hobby ... 1
Common Buzzard (v. nice)
Marsh Harrier ... 3
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel

Egyptian Geese
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen
Tufted Duck
House Martin
Swallows
Swifts
Black-headed Gull
Common gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Common Tern (only 1)
Cormorant

Wood Warbler :king:

and butterflies too...

Orange Tip
Brimstone
Peacock
Comma
Small Tortoiseshell
Meadow Brown

And some pictures to prove that nothing beats the English countryside in the summertime (although the harrier pic isn't very good)

Attachments

• comma.jpg
    comma.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 86
  • harrier.jpg
    harrier.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 115
  • stokesby.jpg
    stokesby.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 103
  • thrigby.jpg
    thrigby.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Karl J said:
Well, i did try writing something a little more creative but couldn't get the wording right so i gave up on it, but had i persevered it would no doubt have included such descriptions as "zipping along on my bicycle", "country lanes, greenery, hedgerows & sunshine" and "birdsong" etc, and ended up rather too long & possibly largely uninteresting to anyone not overly interested in bicycles.

You could have used the full version to remind people what a good idea it is to go out and about on a bike, but then your list of birds and butterflies speaks for itself. :t:

A couple of weeks ago I went on a trip with a group to Shingle Street, where I caught the bus to work, picked up my bike and with a bit of time to spare cycled via bridleways and roads through heathland, listening to lots of warblers and the like. Easy to pull over along the road where a pair of Wood Larks are calling and singing and towards Shingle Street I see a superb Short-eared Owl and as a fellow member on the trip passes me in his car notices that I have stoppped and am looking at something pulls over in to the next lay by to watch the owl as well.

Gi

Nice list there :t:

And the photos ain't bad either...I noticed you have Cow Parsley out already in your neck of the woods - still waiting for it to show up here! But with the glorious warm sunny weather of the past two/three weeks I don't think it'll be long before it does burst into life!

cheers gill , seeing the verges burst out this time of year is fascinating isn't it. One day you go past & its all green, a few days later and ...flowers ... brilliant. I don't know if they're found elsewhere in the country but several round here are designated Roadside Nature Reserves (though not that one in the picture) and its amazing what grows in them

Y'know reading your post Gi reminds me i still haven't been down to Minsmere & round the heaths this year yet. The fresh air breezing over you with the sound of Skylarks, Nightingales & Swallows early in the morning before anyone else is awake ... theres nothing like it is there. As for your first line - i just don't know why it should be, but it often seems to me that cycling in the countryside is seen as dull, unfashionable and something that only the peasants would do. And that is such a shame.

Anyhow back to the Swallows, Nightingales & flowers i think.. oh Dartfords too ...

nice write up karl,the pic on the far right is my idea of a perfect cycle lane!

weather permiting i should be out tomorrow looking for spring migrants,still
deciding whether to go for local buzzards or try some gravel pits in the waverney???

ride safe mate

matt

hmmm .. forecast didn't look too promising for tomorrow, but dry at least til dinnertime

good luck anyhow

ride safe indeed

Karl J said:
Y'know reading your post Gi reminds me i still haven't been down to Minsmere & round the heaths this year yet. The fresh air breezing over you with the sound of Skylarks, Nightingales & Swallows early in the morning before anyone else is awake ... theres nothing like it is there. As for your first line - i just don't know why it should be, but it often seems to me that cycling in the countryside is seen as dull, unfashionable and something that only the peasants would do. And that is such a shame.

Anyhow back to the Swallows, Nightingales & flowers i think.. oh Dartfords too ...

I am going to Minsmere this weekend, though this time not by bike - there are a couple of SOG trips this weekend, the first around North Warren, so I am catching the early bus there. In the afternoon I am walking up the coast to Dunwich, where I'm camping followed by an early rise next morning, before a walk around Minsmere.

Cycling has so many advantages as you know, with reference to flowers on the wayside, I have been out and about recently doing some plant recording for the new Suffolk Flora, and I have found a few species of plant, by being on a bike and being able to spot and stop easily.

Another advantage is around where I work there are many By-ways and bridleways and this allows me to explore of the beaten track.

Gi

Karl a excellent report and thanks for the lovely pics-oh by the way last time i tried to ride a bike(my son's bike) from my house to my neighbours-i was chased by dogs and landed in the side drain :'D but escaped being bitten by them :t: Nature is lovely if we pass slow and view it.Thanks for sharing. :t:

Well Karl, if ever there was a reason to be inspired to get the bike out, you have just provided it.
Great report

Birding by Bike

You may or may not be aware but I (Chris Mills) actually did a complete year list on a bike in Norfolk last year and managed to amass 251 species.

It was great fun and I really was amazed by how many Little Owls and Bullfinches are out there that you will never see whizzing along main roads in the car.

If you want to read more go to www.norfolkbirding.com and go to birding by Bike and click on the links - one is mine the other is a birding mate who did the same thing in Hampshire.

We have also done 4 daylists now on bikes, our last we did 2 weekends ago and scored a respectable 126, the best was in 2005 when we managed 131.
Surely this and local patch birding is the way forward, if birders are to be really considered to be concerned about the environment.

The other thing I noticed last year was the incredible amount of carnage, on a bike you see all the grim detail. This included 3 Barn owls, a Yellowhammer, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush and many, many commoner species.

We all have to use cars, but if we all used them a little less and travelled a little less then clearly there would be less dead things lying on the roads!!

Thanks for the replies folks. Yes Gi, thursday or more likely Friday, it just has to be done.

Chris, hi there & thanks for the reply. I, among several others on here, followed the blogs you both had running, and personally i found them fascinating reading. Myself having been a cyclist for something like 25 years, although the birding is relatively newer, i find you do just see so many things, good & not-so-good, that are lost to anyone zooming along the main road.

And some wise words indeed in your reply, its nice to know i aren't alone in my thoughts re. concerns for the environment (that actually i probably wouldn't have posted up myself for various reasons)

I'll have a look at norfokbirding. com later on, actually its the first i've heard of it but certainly sounds my sort of thing

Dr Manjeet ... :'D

This morning i cycled the same route in reverse, to work, though in a bit less roundabout manner but still got 2 Marsh harriers & several Kestrels and plenty of Blackcaps & Willow warblers, Whitethroats etc. But no sign of the Wood Warbler or any buzzards, oh well it was still a lovely way to travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back