• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The North Sea v The Irish Sea (2 Viewers)

greer3

United Kingdom
We've just done a couple of cruises, one to Norway and Iceland, the other to Norway. It was interesting to compare the Irish Sea and the North Sea. We've sailed both several times on previous cruises and the Irish Sea always comes out the winner, probably because you're never far from land on the Irish Sea. I've often found the North Sea a bit hit and miss, sailing from Southampton, although on both cruises this year there was plenty to see on the first day traveling north and the last day sailing south. When it gets really rough and you're furthest from land the Fulmar always saves the day turning up when all other birds have been left far behind- closely followed by the good old Gannet. Sailing through the North Sea on the last cruise I was really puzzled to see some sort of falcon flying above the ship when we were far from land. It looked like it was landing on the top of the ship somewhere and then making brief forays away from the vessel before returning on board. Flummoxed and not having great views, looking through the misted windows of the buffet, the most likely candidate was a juvenile Peregrine Falcon, an unlikely bird to see so far from land.

Last edited:
I've done a few seabird surveys from boats in the English Channel, and was told, perhaps obvious when you think about it, that a straight line from Portland Bill to Prawle Point in Devon acts as a really good flight line for many birds.
Sure enough the bird numbers would increase roughly along this line.
I suspect there are many such lines in the Irish Sea with concentrations of sea bird movement between headlands and peninsulas; compared to the North Sea, which must be pretty much random in comparison with no such features or concentrations.

I've done a few seabird surveys from boats in the English Channel, and was told, perhaps obvious when you think about it, that a straight line from Portland Bill to Prawle Point in Devon acts as a really good flight line for many birds.
Sure enough the bird numbers would increase roughly along this line.
I suspect there are many such lines in the Irish Sea with concentrations of sea bird movement between headlands and peninsulas; compared to the North Sea, which must be pretty much random in comparison with no such features or concentrations.
Agreed, the North Sea can be a bit random to say the least although this year there was a lot more around than previous cruises; enough to keep me out on deck with the bins most days.

Peregrines showing up way out at sea, on ships and oil platforms is definitely a thing - I believe similar occurences to the OP's have been reported from the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Ocean. Migratory peregrines get to some pretty remote places (the Azores, Hawaii etc) that could only happen by long overwater journeys. I'd love to know how long they take to get there, and how successfully they make it back.

Peregrines showing up way out at sea, on ships and oil platforms is definitely a thing - I believe similar occurences to the OP's have been reported from the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Ocean. Migratory peregrines get to some pretty remote places (the Azores, Hawaii etc) that could only happen by long overwater journeys. I'd love to know how long they take to get there, and how successfully they make it back.
Thanks! Never realised that. We were passing a few oil platforms. It looked very much like a juvenile. We had short visit from a pipit and a starling too. On our last cruise to Norway in September a Blackbird was on board from the first morning after we left Southampton and stayed with us until we got to Norway. Other visitors on previous voyages have included a Wheatear, a very tired Manx Shearwater ( hiding under a sunbed) and a lost Homing Pigeon which stayed with us from the UK to Spitsbergen for a fortnight, fed and watered by the crew and passengers. It took flight when we were off the UK coast on the return journey, never to be seen again

I have seen Peregrines hunting offshore in the North Sea on a number of occasions, most recently on the Dogger Bank in April 2003. Sometimes they hunt at night around vessels / offshore installations - the lights can make "circulations" of passerines which circle around making them easy prey for raptors and owls. See this page for an example of such

I have seen Peregrines hunting offshore in the North Sea on a number of occasions, most recently on the Dogger Bank in April 2003. Sometimes they hunt at night around vessels / offshore installations - the lights can make "circulations" of passerines which circle around making them easy prey for raptors and owls. See this page for an example of such
Thanks for that.
Thanks for that. Very illuminating. Seeing what was most likely a Peregrine that far out is a first for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back