• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The perennial "Willowchiff" question! (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Hi Folks,

I hope someone can help.

This morning saw our first warbler visit to the garden of this year, and of course, as usual, I am struggling to decide which of the usual suspects it was.

I've had a look at the excellent ID Q&A (First time I've seen that... great job, Jane!) and I've come to my own conclusion, but I would be grateful for any else's opinion as to whether I am likely to be right or wrong.

Unfortunately, I know I won't have all the salient id points, but I will relate what was most noticeable.

First, I should say that I viewed this bird through our back windows, which have the slightest greenish tint. I don't think that will make any appreciable difference, but I mention it due to the colour of the bird I saw.

So, colour and markings first.

It was an obvious a Phyllosc. and law of averages really suggests to me that it therefore boils down to the Willowchiff debate.

Although clearly marked, the bird was grey. There may have been the slightest green-ness to the dark parts, or that may have been the glass, but certainly the overall impression was that is was a grey bird, not a green, olive, yellow or brown bird (etc.).

The breast, flanks, belly, vent... all the underside was unmarked, and white but slightly dirty. Again, the point being it was uncoloured, rather than yellow.

The supercilium was strong and clear, and extended significantly behind the eye.

The dark coloured upperparts appeared even dark, without fringes or patches.

The wings did not seem short, but of course the bird was in isolation, so that was just a general impression, not a comparison.

A brief glimpse of the legs suggested they were not black, but the sun was bright this morning.

The bird itself, although it did not seem agitated, did indulge in "flicking" its entire body, similar to the way in which sparrows do when having a dust bath. Each "flick" would be followed by a brief pause... that is, the movement was not continuous, but "twitchy".

During each "flick", the tail was spread, and it had a shallow fork.

The bird landed on one of our shrubs (Berberis if it makes a difference!) and during some of the pauses was feeding from the flowers. I couldn't tell if if was eating the flowers or taken pollen or nectar.

Anyway, taking into account all the "because ofs" and all the "in spite ofs", I've gone for Willow Warbler...

What do you think?

Thanks

slightest greenish tint. I don't think that will make any appreciable difference, but I mention it due to the colour of the bird I saw.

So, colour and markings first.
obvious a Phyllosc.

Although clearly marked, the bird was grey. There may have been the slightest green-ness to the dark parts,

The breast, flanks, belly, vent... all the underside was unmarked, and white but slightly dirty.

The supercilium was strong and clear, and extended significantly behind the eye.

The dark coloured upperparts appeared even dark, without fringes or patches.

The wings did not seem short, .

A brief glimpse of the legs suggested they were not black,

Hi,
Just going on these edited highlights I, too would veer toward willow warbler
Jono

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back