• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The popularity of birdwatching by country (1 Viewer)

I recall a similar survey-related thread many years ago on this forum, which indicated that the UK (proportionately) was by far the keenest nation, with the US a distant second and (?) maybe Germany or Netherlands a similarly distant third. I think the survey in question did provide definitions of their terms.

Maybe it's searchable....

edit - I don't think this is what I "remember", but it covers similar ground (from 2009) - Popularity of birding around the world

Last edited:
I recall a similar survey-related thread many years ago on this forum, which indicated that the UK (proportionately) was by far the keenest nation, with the US a distant second and (?) maybe Germany or Netherlands a similarly distant third. I think the survey in question did provide definitions of their terms.

Maybe it's searchable....

edit - I don't think this is what I "remember", but it covers similar ground (from 2009) - Popularity of birding around the world
Birding (as we would describe it at Birdforum) is much more popular in the Netherlands than in Germany.
The majority of Germans who "watch birds" will only watch storks, swans and lapwings.

Birding (as we would describe it at Birdforum) is much more popular in the Netherlands than in Germany.
The majority of Germans who "watch birds" will only watch storks, swans and lapwings.

I have been to Germany and in the 5 days I was there I barely saw any birders. It looks to me after the UK, the Netherlands has the second most active birding scene nationally in Europe. Smaller country, lots of coastline, lots of good habitat. Numbers of rarities found is probably equal to East of England?

The numbers of rarities found from the Netherlands is so much higher than in Germany.

Small country + lots of coastline + high population = lots of birders, habitats and birds?
Well, not exactly. Logically speaking, small countries have fewer suitable habitats than larger ones, and human population density usually isn't conducive either. However, lots of coastline means more opportunity to watch birds that frequent wetland and marine habitats, and birders tend to be biased in that direction because those places make it easier to watch birds and get long lists of species than e.g. forests or mountains (FWIW, most of the German birders also tend to gravitate to the coastal and wetland areas).
I'd say that in the case of the UK and NL, it comes down to culture in general and strong civic tradition in particular. And their high density of skilled birders and more developed birding infrastructure combined with an exposed geographical location lead to a high success rate in finding rarities. Without those rare vagrants, however, their checklists would look rather dull compared to larger countries on the continent, which have significantly more species of breeding birds in general.

I feel birdwatching might be even more popular in the Netherlands than in Britain. Certainly much moere than in German-speaking countries.

For the Netherlands, it is large number of waterbirds migrating and wintering on the coast, absence of hunting, which made birds in the Netherlands extremely fearless, and relative lack of larger wildlife. Plus, of course, generally rich society.

I've managed to find information that Mallards, Pheasants, Woodpigeons, Hares and Rabbits are legally hunted in the Netherlands. Fewer species than elsewhere, but still.

I feel birdwatching might be even more popular in the Netherlands than in Britain. Certainly much moere than in German-speaking countries.

For the Netherlands, it is large number of waterbirds migrating and wintering on the coast, absence of hunting, which made birds in the Netherlands extremely fearless, and relative lack of larger wildlife. Plus, of course, generally rich society.

I feel that the absence of hunting actually makes a huge difference in the opportunities to observe birds. There is no hunting here in CH, and you can pass by a Grey Herron at 2 meters without it moving. In France hunting does happen (I am not sure whether legal or not), a heron might fly of even if I am 70 or 80 meters away.

I've managed to find information that Mallards, Pheasants, Woodpigeons, Hares and Rabbits are legally hunted in the Netherlands. Fewer species than elsewhere, but still.
Geese, ducks, crows, wild boar and various species of deer are "managed", which means they can be hunted to prevent damage to crops etc.
It doesn't make much difference to the birds.
The Netherlands have the fewest hunters in Europe: Infographic: Hunting: Ireland Ahead Of The Pack

Interesting how low it is officially in Poland (the third lowest rate in Europe), and yet the birds are scared.

I am more and more surprised there is no current, detailed survey how many birdwatchers, twitchers, bird feeding people and other sub-types of bird enthusiasts are in major countries.

One would think that BirdLife would want to judge its support base, or some business related to optics / nature / outdoor would do it.

I am more and more surprised there is no current, detailed survey how many birdwatchers, twitchers, bird feeding people and other sub-types of bird enthusiasts are in major countries.

One would think that BirdLife would want to judge its support base, or some business related to optics / nature / outdoor would do it.
Some business... probably does/has but treats the information as company confidential. Why would they want their competitors to gain it free?

John

but you would have to wonder what companies would even find that information all that useful?
Quite a few judging from the way I get survey-bombed every time I make a substantial purchase in optics/nature/outdoor fields!

Typical questions range from preferred style and specification of bins through frequency of use and for what, to whether the company having hunting gear for sale alongside items for birdwatching affects my choice of supplier due to ethics issues.

John

I have only been to the Netherlands once including a trip to Texel and Oostervanderplassen and I never saw the numbers of birders I see in the Britain.

Nature Reserves are very commercial in Britain. I never really got talking to many Dutch birders except a few photographer types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back