• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The two Ritter von Hochstetter birds (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Following the trails of the multi-talented "Ferdinand von Hochstetter" [as in South Island Takahe Porphyrio hochstetteri MEYER 1883, here and here, as "Notornis Hochstetteri"] I came across one of his less known Sons, commemorated in the eponym ...

hochstetteri as in:
● the species (or subspecies) Reischek's Parakeet Cyanoramphus (novaezelandiae) hochstetteri REISCHEK 1889 (here, in text) as "Platycercus hochstetteri":
... ; so I have taken the liberty of naming it Platycercus hochstetteri, after Arthur von Hochstetter, the son of a sincere friend from whom I received many kindnesses, and who has too soon passed away.
= the Austrian Dr Arthur Ferdinand Heinrich (Ritter) von Hochstetter (born 1863), son of Ferdinand (Ritter) von Hochstetter" (1829–1884) ... the latter (as I understand it) being the sincere friend who "too soon passed away". Or?

Today's HBW Alive Key gives us:
hochstetteri
● Arthur von Hochstetter (fl. 1888) son of Austrian geologist Ferdinand Ritter von Hochstetter (subsp. Cyanoramphus novaezelandiae).
● Prof. Christian Gottlieb Ferdinand Ritter von Hochstetter (1829-1884) Austrian geologist, naturalist, explorer in New Zealand, Turkey and Russia (Porphyrio).
Arthur was apparently born 15 March 1863, in Vienna (Wien), Austria, supposedly still alive in 1923 ... and he died "9 December" XXXX?! (here, updated by Alexandre von hochstetter (sic) "February 1, 2017", who apparently forgot/missed to add in what year!) Arthur is also noted here and as well (I assume it´s him?) here.

Disclaimer: However he is not listed (from what I can tell, or is he!?) in all those several rich pages for his more well-known father, for example; here.

For what it´s worth, if of any use?

Björn

PS. Maybe any of our German (or German-knowing) friends can figure out the full story!?
--

Last edited:
According Die Wiener Medizinische Schule im 19. Jahrhundert - p. 343 Arthur von Hochstetter (1863—1936) or here

Hochstetter, Arthur Ritter von (15.03.1863 Wien – 09.12.1936 Wiener-Neustadt) Chirurg, Röntgenpionier; Strahlenopfer Wiener-Neustadt

= the Austrian Dr Arthur Ferdinand Heinrich (Ritter) von Hochstetter (born 1863), son of Ferdinand (Ritter) von Hochstetter" (1829–1884) ... the latter (as I understand it) being the sincere friend who "too soon passed away". Or?

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Reischek's Parakeet Cyanoramphus hochstetteri Reischek, 1889 [Alt. Antipodes Red-crowned Parakeet]
Arthur von Hochstetter (DNF) was the son of C. G. F. Hochstetter (below). Reischek wrote that he was naming the parakeet '... after Arthur von Hochstetter, the son of a sincere friend from whom I received many kindnesses, and who has too soon passed away'.

So the answer is yes the father is the person passed away too soon. The key is up to date on both.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back