• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thekla/Crested Lark - Morocco (1 Viewer)

bjd

Hi all,
Have go myself thoroughly confused with the identification of the attached. I've come to the conclusion they are both thekla lark, but would appreciate a second opinion (if indeed they are identifiable from the attached), and some feedback on why. Thank you.

Bird one attached

Attachments

• DSCN7330.JPG
    DSCN7330.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 63
  • DSCN7332.JPG
    DSCN7332.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCN7333.JPG
    DSCN7333.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 61
And bird two. This one seems smaller billed, but I'm assuming is the same species.

Thank you

Attachments

• DSCN7335.JPG
    DSCN7335.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCN7336.JPG
    DSCN7336.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 38
It would be useful to know where in Morocco these were taken. There are numerous subspecies, in the south alone 5 ssp of Thekla and 2 of Crested, never mind the split Maghreb. and they are not simple to distinguish.

To me the first set of three photo shows a long-billed bird with a concave lower mandible (although confusingly the bill is muddied). In addition the colouration seems to the rich sandy side, and the breast speckling does not have the sharp cut off. Therefore to me it is Crested.

The second is a short billed bird, with a convex bottom edge to the mandible, a colder coloration and a sharp cut off of the breast streaks. Therefore, this strikes me as a Thekla's.

I will always use voice as the clincher for ID, as this is much simpler than images.

Thanks Muppit17. Every day is a learning day for me! They were taken near Taroudant, in the Souss Mass, in an area of orange groves and ploughed fields. I struggle with larks and pipits at the best of times but until I tried to work this out I was totally oblivious to just how confusing these larks are.

Thanks Muppit17. Every day is a learning day for me! They were taken near Taroudant, in the Souss Mass, in an area of orange groves and ploughed fields. I struggle with larks and pipits at the best of times but until I tried to work this out I was totally oblivious to just how confusing these larks are.
Thanks for confirming. Both species (Crested & Thekla) can be seen side by side in that area.

Thanks again.
Last question - is there a good reference that covers the variations I these species? I feel the need to be better informed in future.

Thanks again.
Last question - is there a good reference that covers the variations I these species? I feel the need to be better informed in future.
I think that the two species are treated OK in the Collins guide as long as you are in Europe. Once in North Africa the ssp are a bit more complex. The Handbook of Western Palearctic birds is pretty good for this area, and Morocco: sharing the birds goes into more detail and better describes the calls/songs (which is the best way to tell them anyway).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back