• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thekla's Lark or Crested Lark? Morocco. (1 Viewer)

laszlo111

Could anybody help me with ID these photos? First and third from Agadir, the second from Skuora.

Attachments

• 705_8424-2.JPG
    705_8424-2.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 705_9556c.JPG
    705_9556c.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 706_0142-2.JPG
    706_0142-2.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 64
I’d say all thekla. Largely because of the bills But I’m already losing confidence with them after it being a few months since being in Spain
Agreed, Thekla.

Convex lower mandible, short bill length, dull caste and sharp cut off of breast streaking.

Stick with it, but remember ssp of Thekla & Crested are different in Southern Morocco to Spain

Thanks a lot for help! The bill is actually shorterer than I have on Crested Lark photos from different localizations. Thanks.

Don't forget that some forms of Crested Larks in Morocco have been split as Maghreb Lark as well, though the October Clements/eBird update lumped them again.
But I agree with everyone else that these three are all Thekla's.

Don't forget that some forms of Crested Larks in Morocco have been split as Maghreb Lark as well, though the October Clements/eBird update lumped them again.
But I agree with everyone else that these three are all Thekla's.
Agreed, although these are generally the long-billed forms. Although there is a relatively short-billed form of Maghreb Lark where the bill is shorter than one of the longer-billed ssp of Crested. In either case these are much longer billed than Thekla.
I suspect this morphological confusion is behind the lump. Although the stated reason is lack of data. Which poses the question of how/why they split it in the first place!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back