• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larks, Masai Mara, Kenya (1 Viewer)

AdrianFisher

I am thinking that the first lark is Rufous-naped, and the second could be Singing (Horsfield's) Bushlark. Can anyone confirm or put me right?
Adrian

Attachments

• MF_16971.JPG
    MF_16971.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 28
  • MF_17616.JPG
    MF_17616.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 29
Larks don't seem to excite subscribers to this forum, do they?
I don't think it's a question of 'excitement'. It's that the bird is usually fairly obvious on looks or distribution, so once an ID has been made or agreed, then others will only reply if they think it's a mistake.

For example, in the Mara you have only five possibilities according to 'Birds of East Africa' - Rufous-naped, Flappet, Foxy, Singing Bush and Red-capped.

Despite several visits to the area, I have only seen Flappet a couple of times and Foxy once. I have never seen Singing Bush. Red-capped is quite distinctive. Foxy is the problem versus Rufous-naped (perhaps someone who has seen Foxy more than I have would have less of a problem). But your Singing Bush looks just like the book illustration and not like the others. (Actually, I am not sure that the map in BofEA shows Singing Bush in the Mara, but anyway your bird looks right to me, although other views would also be welcome.)

It's just that they're so difficult and variable

So, in this I disagree with the Fern while also agreeing. Because of light, weather and age, Rufous-naped can indeed have varied appearance. And I think occasional and short-term visitors such as myself are always hoping to find something that is not-Rufous-naped and we search for features that support this in birds we see. Hence the difficulty. But we are usually wrong.

I'd agree that larks (and pipits) don't provoke a lot of excitement. They are boring IMO and rank alongside gulls for dullness, although maybe not quite as much for questionable speciation.

That said, here's a Thick-billed/Large-billed/Southern / Otherwise Split / Lark to counter my negative post. In RSA, Western Cape, 9/2014.

Attachments

• Thick-billed Lark 2-denoise.JPG
    Thick-billed Lark 2-denoise.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 15
This link, which is found as a reference in the opus page, has a map showing where in the Mara regions Melodious Lark should be found (at least to the knowledge at the time of writing). If you say the bushlark is absent, wouldn't that be important for the OP?

Niels

This link, which is found as a reference in the opus page, has a map showing where in the Mara regions Melodious Lark should be found (at least to the knowledge at the time of writing). If you say the bushlark is absent, wouldn't that be important for the OP?

Niels
The Bush Lark looked OK to me, although I've never seen it; and no-one else has challenged it.

I may be wrong about the where Mara should be on the BofEA map for Singing Bush Lark. But anyway it's very close. So, I was just making a casual point about mapping and distribution.

Leaving that aside, Kenya seems to be having weird weather both east and west, so it might not be so surprising to find birds a little out of their (presumed) range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back