• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Theron Wapiti or other sub-$300 10x42s (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
I am in need of a stop-gap 10x42... I'm going to buy a Leica HD eventually (perhaps by Dec or so) to go with my FL 8x32s, but for the interim, I need an inexpensive 10x42 to tide me by.

After I get the HDs, I am going to use these binos for rough use, on my wildlife photography tours and workshops (bouncing around on a dusty jeep for 8 hrs/day is heinously rough on my gear: and I'm not subjecting the Leicas to that).

I like a bright, wide, sharp view showing a lot of detail. Not bothered too much by CA, and absolutely indifferent to pincushion or barrel distortion.

The Zen Ray ED3 is one option (have the original ED 8x42s back from the days when they first made a splash here on BF).

But as much as possible, I'd like to keep this to under $300. My bino budget has been through the roof recently (the FL 8x32s, the Nikon LXL 8x20s both joined my stable this month), and between my bino and my bike-related expenses, I need to maintain sanity with my spending. That being said, if $350-400 is going to be noticeably better, I'll spend it... but I'd like to avoid it, if I can.

The Atlas Optics 10x42 ED is another option - I have the 7x36 version of this which I like a lot, and if the 10x42 is comparable, that would be a good option. Especially as this clocks in at the $300 price point.

Anyone use the Theron Wapiti? Or have any recommendations for a 10x42 equivalent of the Sightron?

TIA,
Vandit

Zen Ray ZRS HD 10X42. I bought one of these for similiar reasons that you are looking at and I loved them. Also I would check out the Sightron blue sky 10x42 . The 8x42 is very impressive for the price and I would think that the 10 would follow suit .

The ZRS, at close to $600, are a lot more than what I want to spend for a pair of binos destined for a lifetime of abuse.

The Diamondbacks are an option - I used to own a pair of Vipers and Razors in the past, and like what Vortex puts out. Let me check them out!

Anyone tried the Sightron 10x42s?

The ZRS, at close to $600, are a lot more than what I want to spend for a pair of binos destined for a lifetime of abuse.

The Diamondbacks are an option - I used to own a pair of Vipers and Razors in the past, and like what Vortex puts out. Let me check them out!

Anyone tried the Sightron 10x42s?

You are thinking of the prime hd. The zrs hd is only $200 and well worth it.

I have both the Zen Ray Vista ZR (which I won in a recent drawing here:king:) and the Diamondback in 8 x 42. They are very much alike in construction, maybe even made in the same factory, but the Diamondback has a 30'wider FOV @ 1000 yards. I have no experience with the Atlas.

Bob

Depends on the model you choose. Some binoculars handle CA very well even if they don't use ED glass. It depends on issues such as the optical train utilized, the focal length, etc...

Oh right, so I am. You guys reckon the ZRS or Diamondbacks are a better bet than the Atlas Optics ED?

Well from experience with the zenray ed2 and the zrs, the ed2 had a larger sweet spot and slightly sharper. If I remember right the atlas ed is the same as the zenray ed or maybe it was the ed2. Not positive which one but I think either would probably ever so slightly better optically than the zrs. Now ergonomically I prefer the zrs. i think Swfa.com has the ed2 brand new for around 320.

^^ Just checked, that's a 8x43, sadly, else i'd have been all over it.

After a lot of thinking, I think I have decided that the Atlas Optics Intrepid 10x42 is the leading choice. For a little more than the ZRS, I get ED glass and, going by Stet's positive comments above, slightly sharper optics as well.

The other option is to go cheap and get the Sightron 10x42 Blue Sky. Only, I cannot seem to find too many reviews of this unit: the 8x32 gets all the love.

I had the Atlas Intrepid for review purposes. It is a nice glass, same deal basically as the Promaster Infiniti ELite ELX ED, the Hawke Frontier ED or the ZEN ED (original). That should do just fine for what you are looking for.

If it matters at all, the ZRS HD is very compact for a full size 42mm class binocular

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back