• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Texas Rio-Grand Birds - Need ID Help (1 Viewer)

RichMan

United States
I just got back from a weekend birding trip to Texas's Rio-Grand Valley (Feb 19th). I got 37 new birds (WooHoo :) ), but I have three that I can't ID. I'm hopping someone might be able to tell something from these pictures. Thanks!!

1 Tropical Kingbird OR Couch's Kingbird
20230217_Couch's or Tropical_42.jpg20230217_Couch's or Tropical_41.jpg

2 Humming Bird
20230219__40.jpg20230219__39.jpg20230219__38.jpg

3 Who knows??? but I'm hopping it's a Dickcissel. :)
20230219_Dickcissel---_20.jpg
I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks - Rich

(Guessed 4/5 in the quiz going on wing structure, lol, misidentifying only the one that all others got correctly.)

Last edited:
But the link is useful, and that was my main point--especially so the long bill, strong face mask and grey-green (as opposed to green) back (plus wing shape jizz???) all point to Tropical Kingbird (not sure how to judge the well-markedness of coverts). Pray don't take my word for it, but then I have no reputation to lose in that respect anyway, so...

Free-flying black-chins tend to bob their tails repeatedly when hovering, a characteristic that often can be used to identify females in the field.
(from Black-chinned Hummingbird Banded at Gastonia NC, 13 Feb 2004 (Archilochus alexandri))
A shame you don't have a photo showing the bill length in full and that the photos are--very understandably--a bit blurry.

Here's all you need (and don't need) to know about these two; if you're serious about learning how to seperate them, you may want to try ageing and sexing your resident hummingbirds based on this guide:

EDIT: Any yeas or nays for the šŸ‘‘šŸ¦ ID?

Attachments

• hummingbird-id.pdf
    15.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
IMHO, all features from here favour Tropical Kingbird except for the shape of the crest, which varies between the two photos (and also varies between photos in the birds' profiles at allaboutbirds.org). The relative slimness of the body also varies between the photos.

EDIT: Here's a quick and dirty list:
longish bill,
prominent hook at the end,
dingy chest,
weak contrast between chest and throat,
weak wing panel contrast and pale edges to primaries,
short primary extension to tertial length ratio.

Add to that features from the other thread on BF mentioned in one of my previous posts.

Attachments

• 173-TropicalCouchsKingbird-Identification.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Where exactly in Texas? Peterson's show Tropical kingbird only in the coastal southern tip of Texas, east of McAllen or so, and Couch's along the river from the coast up to almost Del Rio.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back