• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush size birds (Horndon, Essex, UK) (1 Viewer)

PhilBaker

United Kingdom
A small flock in a garden on a wintery day. Thought redwings at first but couldn't see any red, Fieldfares; didn't seem colourful enough. Mistle thrushes, spots seemed to run out lower down and not be dark enough. Song thrushes in these parts are compartively rare these days and I've never seen 12 - 15 together.DSC_0178.JPGDSC_0192.JPG

Hi Phil,

Agree with Fieldfare, but just to add, in particularly cold weather, they head for lower altitude open fields. They breed in fairly large edge of woodland colonies in the warmer months and come together in greater numbers in the winter and when mild, they are often higher up and not so often seen.

Cheers guys, seems like a consensus. Probably looking up with them backlit didn't help seeing the colours well.
I would think so with 8 people all confirming 😁

Great birds for the garden - there’s quite a few coming into gardens down the East Coast at the moment - not that I’ve had any yet.

They like apples if you have any!

I would think so with 8 people all confirming 😁

Great birds for the garden - there’s quite a few coming into gardens down the East Coast at the moment - not that I’ve had any yet.

They like apples if you have any!
Yep seen a few the last week or so mainly out on the fields. Frien got some nice photos of them feeding on his holly.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back