• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Timaliidae (3 Viewers)

As well why Gerd Heinrich no co-author (but might be clear within p. 153 which I haven't seen)?

The paper is in three sections with distinct authorship, Einleintung, pp. 551-555, von E. Stresemann; Allgemeine Vorbemerkungen, pp. 155-165, von G. Heinrich; Systematischer und Biologischer Teil, pp. 166-264, von E. Stresemann und G. Heinrich.

On p. 153 (first section, by Stresemann alone), Stresemann states clearly that 7 new sspp introduced in the third section were described by him ("Aus der Ausbeute vom Mt. Victoria habe ich in den folgenden Zeilen als neu beschrieben : | Carduelis spinoides heinrichi subsp. nova | Passer rutilans lisarum subsp. nova | Psittiparus gularis rasus subsp. nova | Mixornis gularis ticehursti subsp. nova | Leioptila gracilis dorsalis subsp. nova | Iole maclellandii ventralis subsp. nova | Dryobates hyperythrus heinrichi subsp. nova.")

Stresemann's text on p. 154 also suggests strongly that he was responsible for the taxonomy ("Im Hauptteil dieser Veröfentlichung habe ich mich über taxonomische Fragen nur kurz ausgelassen"), while Heinrich provided information about the ecology and biology of the birds ("Größere Bedeutung kommt gewiß den Mitteilungen des Herrn Heinrich zur Oekologie und Biologie der Vögel zu, die von him festgestellt worden sind.").

In the third section (with dual authorship), the species accounts are typically divided into a first part in smaller types that deals with taxonomy (and includes the diagnosis for the new taxa), and a second part in larger types and in double quotes that provides information gathered in the field (where the bird was encountered, its voice, etc.). From their respective contents, the first of these two parts would appear to have been by Stresemann, the second by Heinrich. Both authors speak in the first person singular ("ich") in their respective parts.

Last edited:
... It I unsderstood correct Mixornis gularis ticehursti was published in https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/mmnz.19390240201 (I haven't seen)

First why is it always claimed published in 1940 and/or where is claimed that this was published in 1940? ...

For what it's worth, in my notes I have this Paper as:
• Stresemann, E. & G. Heinrich. 1940 ("1939"). Die Vögel des Mount Victoria. Ein Beitrag zur Ornithologie von Burma. Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 24 (2): 151–264.

Earlier, way back, in 2014, we (at least I) had a look at this/the same Paper ... (here)

Also see: A substitute name for Dryobates minor heinrichi von Jordans, by Dickinson, Frahnert & Roselaar, 2009 (here):
... The paper on the birds of Mt. Victoria in the 1939 volume of the Mitteilungen der Zoologische Museum Berlin by Stresemann & Heinrich is the first paper in part 2 of that volume, and the first page of that paper, and of the part, is dated 1939. However, the title page is dated 1940 and states ‘Ausgegeben am 18 Januar 1940’.
[...]
References:
[...]
Stresemann, E. & Heinrich, G. 1940 [1939]. Die Vögel des Mount Victoria. Mitt. Zool. Mus. Berlin 24: 151–264.
[...]

As well, note that the (normally trustworthy) Bodleian Archives (here) have a Manuscript listed as:
The Birds of Mount Victoria. A Contribution to the Ornithology of Burma', English translation of 'Die Vögel des Mount Victoria. Ein Beitrag zur Ornithologie von Burma' by Erwin Stresemann and Gerd Heinrich, Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin, 24(2), 8 Jan 1940.

I see no reason to question that it was indeed published in (early) 1940.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back