• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To Maine without a gall bladder (1 Viewer)

birdpotter

So, at the end of May, my husband, son, mother-in-law and her two sisters took a ten day trip to Mt Desert Island Maine. It was two days after I had my gall bladder taken out...kind of an emergency sort of thing.
It rained 8 out of the 10 days. All sorts of rain, mists, showers, down pours, sleet. Apparently, it was a rare event called a "May Nor'easter". It didn't stop us from taking a few hikes through the Acadia National Park. I, of course, had to take it a little easy, seeing how I just got rid of a small organ.
We rented a house on this little cove on the north side of the island. It was quiet with thick woods surrounding the house.
At one point we saw between 50-75 Common Eiders in a cove with a sand beach, called appropriately, yet not very imaginatively, Sand Beach. It was spectacular to see one, a bird I didn't have on my list, let alone such a mass grouping of them. Perhaps the storm holed them up all together like that. The water was very rough for at least 5 days while we were there. I never got a chance to see very many waders, shorebirds or pelagic birds.
The house we rented was situated about a half a mile away from a Bald Eagle nesting site. The second day I found the nest, but it wasn't until the fourth day I spotted one of the eagles way off in the distance near the nest and became really familiar with the calls it was making.
I believe it was the fifth day, I was taking a nap with my 2 1/2 year old son. We had the Master bedroom which was upstairs with a private balcony. The bed was positioned to face the view from the balcony. I woke, and sat staring out through the trees at the water, enjoying the view, wondering if I needed to take any more pain pills, when I noticed a large mass of something that wasn't there before in the trees. It was the Bald Eagle no more than 15 yards from the head of the bed, where I was sitting. Wow, it was amazing and I had no one to share it with, but, wow. I never had a clear sense of the size of these birds before. Massive.
Eventually, I made some accidental noise trying to get the camera out and it flew off.
The next day, both eagles were sitting just beyond our visual abilities, but very very close, to the west of the house. I heard them all day calling back and forth to each other, but only saw them as they took flight (unbelievable) and returned to the nest. The following day, my husband had a bit of better luck. The pair was in the same spot the next day and my husband carefully sought them out during low tide, when he was able to move about and around the area where they were. He got a number of pictures without disturbing them, which I will post at the end. He did a good job, I think. The eagles our last full day there, did a fantastic aerial display--swooping in and out of the trees right by the house, calling out to each other, and just making an amazing spectacle of themselves. I only cursed them once for making us wait for so long to see such beauty.

I had other lovely experiences spotting warblers. Quiet spots with no sound and then tremendous chirping, chipping and calling all of a sudden with three or four different warblers and at least two other birds, like nuthatches or robins or chickadees.
Here is my list of birds that I saw. I have attached one photo of a bird I spotted for the first time that was just gorgeous. Unfortunately the photo didn't come out, I was wondering if anyone would like to take a guess at it.
If I don't get any responses, I will post the picture in the quiz part. I am not going to list the bird because it would give it away immediately.
American Robin
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Junco
Swainson's Thrush
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Black-and-white Warbler
Northern Cardinal
Bald Eagle
Laughing Gulls
Herring Gull--really surprised I didn't see any other gulls or terns.
Common Loon
Common Eider
Double-crested Commorant

I know, it isn't super impressive, but for someone who couldn't do a whole lot of anything per doctor's orders, pain, and/or pain pills, I was very pleased with the outcome of this trip and wanted to share my pleasure with everyone.

And would it have been possible for me to have seen a Norhter Fulmar close to the shore?--I was thinking possibly due to the harsh weather, but I really don't know enough to make a call.
I also saw a bird with a grey body, pale yellow breast and a definite white eye ring--flycatcher shape--it was with the warblers, but a bit bigger and singing(couldn't tell you the song) at the top of the trees. I won't claim it, but if I am missing a very obvious bird, I would love to know--just haven't found it yet.

Here are a few pictures( I have a lot more, but these are my favorites) and one of the mystery bird.

Best
Elizabeth

Attachments

• bestbaldeagle.jpg
    bestbaldeagle.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 118
  • blackthroatedgreen.jpg
    blackthroatedgreen.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 155
  • laughinggulls9.jpg
    laughinggulls9.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 117
  • golden.jpg
    golden.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 152
  • baldeaglemoon2.jpg
    baldeaglemoon2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 124
Nice report, Elizabeth. I hope to go to Maine sometime to see Puffins and whatever else is up there.
I'd say the mystery bird is a Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Thank you Chris.
Yes, Golden-crowned Kinglet. Horrible picture, eh? But it was fantastic watching them. There was a small group of them zipping around through the forest. I was able to really get a good look at them and at the same time get a blurry picture!
I figured it would be an easy guess.
I would like to see the Puffins also, but the weather just didn't permit it.
Maybe next time!

Best to you
Elizabeth

We stayed in Acadia Park on Mt. Desert Island for a week on our honeymoon 3 years ago. Gorgeous place... only got to see one Eagle and that was driving through New Hampshire on the way there. Was reclining in my seat and when I opened my eyes I saw it through my sunroof.

I really wanted to see a moose too, but none were cooperative that week..LOL

That's a pretty good list though for the less than favorable conditions you had while you were there. I'd like to go back and spend more time up that way one of these days.

Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth: Hello:

I so enjoyed your report posted above. Have been going to Maine
for the past l3 years, Ogunquit, and see many beautiful birds there.

However, where you were is more remote, and your description
was excellent for me to imagine in my mind.. from here.. where I sit. :)
Awesome birds.

Maine is a beautiful State and I have wondered
about the Audubon Club near Portland.

Sure you know about Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge.
Teeming with birds, foxes and animals. Go there.

Best..

Get better soon.

Last edited:
birdpotter said:
I also saw a bird with a grey body, pale yellow breast and a definite white eye ring--flycatcher shape--it was with the warblers, but a bit bigger and singing(couldn't tell you the song) at the top of the trees. I won't claim it, but if I am missing a very obvious bird, I would love to know--just haven't found it yet. Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth - what a great way to start recovery from surgery! When I read the above description I immediately thought Western Kingbird - Tyrannus verticalis. But that seems pretty unlikely, as I think they are pretty much a western bird. I'll look in my Eastern Guide tonight and see if I can suggest anything more likely. Barbara

egret3 said:
Elizabeth: Hello:

I so enjoyed your report posted above. Have been going to Maine
for the past l3 years, Ogunquit, and see many beautiful birds there.

However, where you were is more remote, and your description
was excellent for me to imagine in my mind.. from here.. where I sit. :)
Awesome birds.

Maine is a beautiful State and I have wondered
about the Audubon Club near Portland.

Sure you know about Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge.
Teeming with birds, foxes and animals. Go there.

Best..

Get better soon.

I have heard of the Rachel Carson WR. I would like to go there sometime.
Thank you for complimenting me on my description. Maine is the place I would love to spend the rest of my life. It is gorgeous and quiet. I think as long as I were to live on the coast, I would make it through the winters too!!
I almost couldn't stand how many birds I saw in clusters. It was overwhelming. I expected to see maybe one or two at a time, but not like that!

Oh and feeling pretty darn good now, thanks.

Best
Elizabeth

Dingoblu said:
We stayed in Acadia Park on Mt. Desert Island for a week on our honeymoon 3 years ago. Gorgeous place... only got to see one Eagle and that was driving through New Hampshire on the way there. Was reclining in my seat and when I opened my eyes I saw it through my sunroof.

I really wanted to see a moose too, but none were cooperative that week..LOL

That's a pretty good list though for the less than favorable conditions you had while you were there. I'd like to go back and spend more time up that way one of these days.

Thanks for sharing.

What a great place to go for a honeymoon. Did you do much hiking...or was it a 'REAL' kind of honeymoon, where you didn't get much done?
You are pretty far north in NY, shouldn't you be looking at moose outside your window right now?? ;)
I saw a couple of females once on my way up to Manchester Vermont. They were off in the distance, but I knew those massive beasts right off. I wanted to see some in Maine too, but did not. I plan on going back as much as possible. Although, the more I am getting to know the area where I live, the more I am appreciating and enjoying its little secret spots.
May I suggest going (to the island)during the off season? Just before or after the actual season begins. It is at its most quiet then and the weather is still decent. Some of the restaurants and shops aren't always open, but who cares when you are there to check out the birds! And there was one place we stayed last year that was the price of a hotel room, but was its own little cottage right on the water. Oh it was fantastic. Okay, I could go on and on...
Best
Elizabeth

birdpotter said:
What a great place to go for a honeymoon. Did you do much hiking...or was it a 'REAL' kind of honeymoon, where you didn't get much done?

Nah we spent most of our time driving all those long twisty road to go lighthousing, as that is my first passion. I wish I had paid more attention to what I saw for birds while we were there. Although it gives me a reason to go back again ;)

You are pretty far north in NY, shouldn't you be looking at moose outside your window right now?? ;)

We had a moose here a couple of years back, tearing through yards in town and causing a ruckus in the parking lot of the high school. I didn't get to see it though. Isn't that how it always goes? Seems like our big claim to fame is the whitetail deer population and the Canadian Geese. I wish they would cross the river to Canada and GO HOME!!!

I saw a couple of females once on my way up to Manchester Vermont. They were off in the distance, but I knew those massive beasts right off. I wanted to see some in Maine too, but did not. I plan on going back as much as possible. Although, the more I am getting to know the area where I live, the more I am appreciating and enjoying its little secret spots.

Its like where we live, its really a great area with lots to see and do if you are an outdoors kind of person
May I suggest going (to the island)during the off season? Just before or after the actual season begins. It is at its most quiet then and the weather is still decent. Some of the restaurants and shops aren't always open, but who cares when you are there to check out the birds! And there was one place we stayed last year that was the price of a hotel room, but was its own little cottage right on the water. Oh it was fantastic. Okay, I could go on and on...

WE had gone at the end of August, but I would like to go back more in the fall or early spring. If you go back, check out a place called Kathy's Chowder House... its a tiny little restaurant attached to a hotel just outside of Acadia. They have the best food there... awesome breakfasts!! :eat:
Best
Elizabeth

Rebecca

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back