• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toads! (1 Viewer)

roosmum

I've had several male toads in the pond for a couple of weeks now, one or two have been there for ages. Over the past few days a dozen or so other males have arrived and in the last day or so three females turned up. I didn't see them arrive so I don't know if they brought their own mates with them or took their pick from the residents 8-P .
But the Spring sunshine has worked it's magic and today one of the pairs is spawning! :D :D :D .

Hi Rose,good to hear from you!
Great news re the Toads too!
My pond is full of frogspawn and I was a little concerned as it froze a few weeks ago but all is developing as it should,so we'll soon be the proud carers of a pond full of Taddies!!
Best wishes,

I don't want to show my ignorance but do Toads croak? I only ask because I was awake far too early this morning and heard very loud croaking coming from the lane in front of the house.

Paminfra said:
I don't want to show my ignorance but do Toads croak? I only ask because I was awake far too early this morning and heard very loud croaking coming from the lane in front of the house.
Hi Pam and Ruth. :hi:
I've been in a bit of a panic 'cos our internet connection wasn't working, but a lovely man from Virgin media (much more "customer friendly" than when it was NTL) sorted it for me so I'm ok now! :D
Pam, I've been known to mount this very soap box on this board before.... but
frogs make a sound like "whaaarp". Toads make a sound somewhere between a quack and a squeak and sometimes it's very raspy.
Does that help? :-O
Here's to another generation, Ruth!

Lovely Rose. I put in a little home made pond last year hoping to entice something in ;) but the birds have declared it their bath now. Ah well..if I could just find some room somewhere else...lol...look forward to updates on developments.

Best wishes

Yes, thanks very much Rose. Green "Edible" frogs I have a-plenty in the pond and they are starting to "sing" now. I also have Tree Frogs which make a noise like a machine-gun going off but this last croak was something else....so hopefully it was a toad. I do see them quite often but have never heard them until now, it seems! Such a peaceful life we lead buried in the Breton countryside!!!!!!

Lucky you with your tree frogs Pam.
I read somewhere recently that there used to be a colony of them in the New Forest which was assumed to have been started off by "escapees". After the colony died out "they" decided that it was actually the last of our very own native tree frog and could have been saved!

roosmum said:
Lucky you with your tree frogs Pam.
I read somewhere recently that there used to be a colony of them in the New Forest which was assumed to have been started off by "escapees". After the colony died out "they" decided that it was actually the last of our very own native tree frog and could have been saved!

Yes, Rose, I also heard there was a colony somewhere in SE England, also escapees from France where they are very common but I'd never heard that there were native ones over there. They are lovely little creatures but by God the racket they make is horrible!!! So bad that some friends of mine who were visiting once in May thought they'd heard Corncrakes!!!! Some hopes.....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back